It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2008, 07:13 PM   #1
(female)

LoriG215 HB User
Scared to death...

Hi all...I am new here, but I have a serious issue weighing on me tonight. My gorgeous 7 1/2 month old baby girl has started having what her pediatrician called "infant shudder syndrome". The Dr. read me the symptoms from the PDR, and they sound similar to her shaking episodes. However, the Dr. didn't seem too terribly concerned that it was anything serious. She did go ahead and schedule an EEG, just to rule out any other problems. What has got me so upset is that they are going to sedate her for the procedure. I am now and have always been terrified of sedatives, and I am a nervous wreck about someone putting my one and only under anesthesia. Has anyone had this done and if so can you tell me what to expect so I can calm down a little bit? Any info you all could share will be appreciated...I am near hysterics with worry....
Thanks..

Old 06-30-2008, 07:37 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

niknak77 HB User
Re: Scared to death...

I understand your fear. My son, now 3, had to have his teeth capped last summer; being so young they did it as an outpatient surgery and put him under. I was nervous, and it was just a typical dentist treatment. Since he was put completely to sleep and not just sedated, I don't know it it will be the same but here is how my experience was: As the meds kicked in his eyes got heavy and rolled back, like when they are fighting sleeping, and his arms jerked a bit, then he was asleep. Afterwards, he was very cranky-b/c mom wasn't in sight-but otherwise fine. He was his usual self for the rest of the day. So all in all it went very well, no problems and all my worrying was for nothing. So I understand how you feel and though I know it is little comfort, I will say, that everything will be fine and your precious baby girl will be just as perfect as always.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-01-2008, 04:35 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Delia79 HB User

I too can understand your fears. My 12 month old had to be completely put under a month ago because she swallowed a nickel and a penny. They put her under and went down her throat with a scope to remove them. I unfortunately was unable to be in the room when they actually administered the anesthesia but I can say that the procedure only lasted ten minutes tops and when I was allowed to go back to see her in recovery, she was absolutely fine, just happy to see Mommy. I think any time your child has to have tests or things of that nature it's very frightening....for them and for the parents. Not only are you worried about the affects of medications etc, you are worried about the outcome. I know I was!!! But like the previous poster said, just know that your little girl will be perfectly fine when all is said and done, she'll probably just want to see her Mommy ASAP!

Just out of curiosty, what is infant shudder syndrome? I've never heard of that before. Good luck and remember, everything is going to be ok!!!

Last edited by Delia79; 07-01-2008 at 04:37 AM.

Old 07-11-2008, 01:39 AM   #4
(female)

LoriG215 HB User

Well... the baby goes to the hospital in a couple of hours for her EEG. I eventually called her Dr. and asked her what I could expect regarding this procedure. THE DR. ACTUALLY APOLOGIZED (!) for not being more forthcoming with information that would have eased my mind. I have since found out that the sedative they are using they can give to her in liquid or suppository form (good luck with that one - she's a clencher!), and that it is mostly like a strong dose of Benadryl. The Dr. also is going to let me hold her until she goes to sleep, as well as stay with her the ENTIRE time she is having the test. Whew....I feel much better about the test. Now we just have to wait up to a week for the darn results! Now I can worry about that instead! Thanks to those who lent their ears, and sympathies...you guys are great!

Old 07-11-2008, 06:11 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

youneeak HB User

Hi there,

That's nice that the Dr. was able to help you calm a bit before the procedure...and that you were able to stay with her during the test. How did it go? I've never had to go through this, but have had to take my DD for testing on her kidneys...I got to stay with her, and was thankful for that...she was not put to sleep and I know it was nice to have mommy pick her up after they were over.

Let us know how it goes!

Old 07-30-2009, 09:53 AM   #6
(female)

mistyj7 HB User

Hi LoriG215,
Have you heard back on the results of your baby's EEG, or have you had any other follow-up done? My baby is almost 9 months old and has been doing very similar things since the end of May. He has had an EEG and MRI with nothing found but still does these unusual movements. It is making me crazy not knowing why he's doing this. Just curious if you have any helpful ideas for me? Thanks so much, and I hope your little girl is doing well.

Closed Thread