It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2008, 02:02 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

LauraLu HB UserLauraLu HB User
When did your baby learn to walk?

My daughter will turn one on the 31st of this month. We are so excited and have had quite a joyous year. I still can't believe how time flies!
For the past two months, Madeline has been cruising the furniture and holding onto our couch and coffee table for support. She also crawls like she's on a mission and you better get out of her way! She can stand on her own for up to 10 seconds before she realizes she's not holding onto something and then either falls or reaches for support. I have been trying to coax her with toys to get her to take a step, but she gets SO upset and bursts into tears (which is very unlike her).
When did your little ones take their first steps and what are some good ways to help the process along?
Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-12-2008, 03:23 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

youneeak HB User
Re: When did your baby learn to walk?

Hey Laura,

Ella took her first steps at the end of May..almost 11 months...but it was only like 1 or 2. She'd take 1 or two steps if DH or I stood her up and let go. This went on for a few weeks. We encouraged her with a push toy, and enticing objects/toys and try to get her to walk 3 or 4 steps between DH & I. Also, when we are out, she loves to walk with one of us holding 1 or both of her hands. It wasn't until the beginning of July (almost 12 months) that she started walking longer distances by herself. Now she can walk up our hallway (about 25 feet) without falling down or holding on, but she is still learning to keep her balance. I would say that she still crawls at least 60% of the time. She's doing much better, though!! Everyday she goes a little further and balances a little better!

I think the doctor's say that somewhere between 11-18 months is normal for walking. Does she have a push toy? Or will she walk if she's holding one/two hands? That's how we encouraged Ella. Good luck!! I'm sure any day now she'll just take off It's so exciting how much they are learning!!

Good luck!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-12-2008, 05:09 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Brooke85 HB User

My DD was 14 months when she started walking. She had been pulling herself up on the coffee table and cruising starting at 7 months. I knew she had the strength and knew what to do...she was just stubborn and wouldn't do it! Once she figured out that walking gets you there faster than crawling she started walking everywhere

I agree with the push-toy. My DD had one of those little busses with the handle on the end tand she could ride on it as well. She also love it because she could put toys under the seat

Old 07-12-2008, 08:02 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tiff24 HB User

Aden started cruising about 9 months and he was walking completely on his own by 10 months. It's completely normal, however, for kids to not walk 'til after their first birthday. If she gets so upset when you try to coax her to take a few steps, I think I would just let her do it on her own. She'll know when she's ready. I agree with the others about the push toy. Aden had a few and he absolutely loved them. It really encouraged him to walk on his own when he realized how much faster he could go!

Old 07-13-2008, 07:56 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

luckydarlin HB User

My little one is 15 months and still not walking. She cruises the furniture, will walk if you hold one of her hands, and loves her walk behind toys, but she just isn't there yet to take her steps on her own. Not to mention, she knows she can get there ten times faster by crawling!

Last edited by luckydarlin; 07-13-2008 at 07:56 AM.

Old 07-13-2008, 08:05 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Delia79 HB User

Ella started walking at about 11-11.5 months. She also had a push toy, which apparently a lot of babies use! She did ok with it but wasn't as interested in it as I thought she'd be. She had been cruising for a long time, and even standing alone for periods of time, but never took that next "step." One day DH and I were playing with her and she was standing alone. He showed her the remote, which she loves but normally cannot have. I know how mean! She just took right off to get it! I was so excited, I couldn't believe she did it. After that, she went about a week or so where she wouldn't even attempt it again. But now, she is ALL OVER THE PLACE! She still crawls when she feels like it but can walk around for a long time and pretty much goes where she wants to. She even likes to climb the stairs, and yes, we do make sure to be right there with her. So, I would say from reading your post, Madeline will be taking off any time now. I never expected Ella to do so that day, so I am sure Madeline will walk too just when you are least expecting it!

Old 07-13-2008, 08:12 AM   #7
(female)

Kimba620 HB User

I have 3 daughters and they all walked at different times. I think their personality and birth orders influenced their walking times also. My first baby very kick back easy going, book baby walked at 1 year exactly, my second baby born 27 months later, very agressive and curious and ahead of schedule in everything walked at 9 months, my third baby born 6 years later and truly the baby of the family was easy going and spoiled and pampered and carried everywhere, well she did not walk until after 15 months, then again, why should she? She was never put down between me, her daddy and 2 big sisters she managed to get whatever she needed without much effort! LOL Delayed walking is very common in first borns who are the apple of their parents eye and toted around all the time, especially if you waited a long time for a baby, had fertitlity issues or just love her so much you cant put her down, also common in last borns who are coddled, spoiled and carried by parents, siblings etc as I described above. As long as your pediatrician says your baby is healthy, don't let a little limit in walking disturb you! Your baby will be walking the rest of it's life and they only scoot, roll and crawl for such a short time! Enjoy it, because once she learns to walk your whole life will change! I relished my third one walking late because I had been in such a hurry for my older two to reach their milestones because every milestone is happy and wonderful, but when you have some distance and see how fast they grow you can be much more content to let them be and grow at their own pace and enjoy every sweet baby moment because as you have been told and know too well, those moments are too fast, too short and too sweet! As long as there is no health or physical problem, enjoy, enjoy, enjoy your baby!

Old 07-13-2008, 08:15 AM   #8
(female)

Kimba620 HB User

I have 3 daughters and they all walked at different times. I think their personality and birth orders influenced their walking times also. My first baby very kick back easy going, book baby walked at 1 year exactly, my second baby born 27 months later, very agressive and curious and ahead of schedule in everything walked at 9 months, my third baby born 6 years later and truly the baby of the family was easy going and spoiled and pampered and carried everywhere, well she did not walk until after 15 months, then again, why should she? She was never put down between me, her daddy and 2 big sisters she managed to get whatever she needed without much effort! LOL Delayed walking is very common in first borns who are the apple of their parents eye and toted around all the time, especially if you waited a long time for a baby, had fertitlity issues or just love her so much you cant put her down, also common in last borns who are coddled, spoiled and carried by parents, siblings etc as I described above. My girlfriends baby was a premie and he walked by 18 months. As long as your pediatrician says your baby is healthy, don't let a little limit in walking disturb you! Your baby will be walking the rest of it's life and they only scoot, roll and crawl for such a short time! Enjoy it, because once she learns to walk your whole life will change! I relished my third one walking late because I had been in such a hurry for my older two to reach their milestones because every milestone is happy and wonderful, but when you have some distance and see how fast they grow you can be much more content to let them be and grow at their own pace and enjoy every sweet baby moment because as you have been told and know too well, those moments are too fast, too short and too sweet! As long as there is no health or physical problem, enjoy, enjoy, enjoy your baby!

Old 07-13-2008, 09:00 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

What great responses! Thanks Ladies! Madeline does have a push toy. She has a Mickey Mouse push toy that plays all kinds of obnoxious music that my fiance and I hear in our sleep, lol. It's funny though - she's more interested in the controls of the actual car than making it ride.
Delia ~ Madeline is also VERY into the remote and especially our telephone. I've tried "bribing" her with these also a few times too, but she prefers to plop down and crawl towards them instead - the little monkey!
I know that she will walk when she's ready, and I guess I was just interested in when other babies did also.
Kimba620 ~ I think that you may be somewhat correct when you mentioned that birth order may influence this. I have an older brother and younger brother. My mom was going to stop with just me, but then had my younger brother. She kept me in a playpen until I was 15 months so I didn't walk because my older brother and I are so close in age! (I guess she couldn't keep up). My older brother walked at one year, and my younger brother walked at 13 months.

Last edited by LauraLu; 07-13-2008 at 09:12 AM.

Old 07-13-2008, 11:20 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Delia79 HB User

The whole birth order thing could be true. I was born the baby of my family (two older brothers) and I didn't walk until 15 months. The middle brother walked much, much later, but he is developmentally delayed so that would make sense. My oldest brother walked right away, I think before he turned a year old. So it does make sense what Kimba said.

Old 07-13-2008, 05:31 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

luckydarlin HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraLu View Post
She has a Mickey Mouse push toy that plays all kinds of obnoxious music that my fiance and I hear in our sleep, lol. It's funny though - she's more interested in the controls of the actual car than making it ride.
Ohhhhhhhhh we have this toy too! A friend gave it to her for her first birthday and it is SO loud (I think their son is getting a drum set for his birthday next year!). Like your daughter, mine loves playing with the piano part more than anything.

Also just wanted to mention, I think size has a lot to do with a little one walking. My daughter has always been a big girl and just started really slimming down now that she's so active, but I think being a bigger baby in general slowed her down when doing things.

Old 07-13-2008, 06:39 PM   #12
(female)

doodlebugsmom HB User

TONIGHT! He'll be 13 months in a week and tonight he took his first unassisted steps. He was so proud of himself, he stopped after the first one, steadied himself, clapped for himself, then took another before falling down. It was sooooooo adorable.

Old 07-13-2008, 08:10 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

youneeak HB User

Yay for your little one taking their first steps tonight!!! How exciting!!

Also, I think that the size of the baby matters as well. My neice and nephew (not from the same side of the family) both walked around 9.5-10 months...but they were very small babies. My daughter is no longer the roly poly she was a few months ago, but she's still a chunkier baby...and she really started WALKING WALKING just in the last few days (she's 12 mo). But I totally agree that size has something to do with it.

Old 07-13-2008, 10:43 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

sarah ~ If size has any influence than my baby just may be bringing up the rear, lol. I had to take her into her pediatrician last week for something and her weight at just over 11 months was 23 lbs, 12 oz!!! I was astonished! What can I say? The girl loves to eat! My mom even taught her how to rub her tummy and say, "Mmmm." It's hilarious. Now she signs "more" when she wants more to eat too. SO cute!
I just remind myself that she's tall too like my fiance.

Last edited by LauraLu; 07-14-2008 at 05:41 AM.

Old 07-15-2008, 08:53 PM   #15
(female)

archelle HB User
Talking Re: When did your baby learn to walk?

It's funny to read this thread you gals talking about sizes and birth order. For my daughter I had to give credit to my parents' carpeted house who babysits while I work FT! Also her large feet she got it from her DAd. My baby started walking at 9 mos. also. The push toy did not help instead it became more of nuisance bec. it gets in her way. So thank God for the carpet in their house and her big feet She's also our first born, my speculation is it is in her genes, I started walking at 9.5 mos. and my hubby at 8 mos. Believe me sometimes you don't want them to walk too early bec. they don't want to be held all the time they just cruise like there's no tomorrow.

Closed Thread