It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2008, 06:25 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sweetest_Pink00 HB User
Can you sleep while babies are awake?

Ok i know that people say sleep when baby sleeps because thats the only sleep you'll get if you have a fussy baby, so I had a dream last night that i laid the baby in the pack n play and was just watching tv because he was quiet and in a calm mode. So i fell asleep about a hour later i woke up and when i looked to him he was just looking back at me. In the dream i dont know if he had been sleep or awake the whole time.

My new question is: Is it ok to sleep while baby is awake u know because all they kinda do is sit there?

Old 08-21-2008, 05:30 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

LauraLu HB UserLauraLu HB User
Re: Can you sleep while babies are awake?

It's actually not true that babies "just sit there." Newborns sleep A LOT. When they aren't sleeping they require you're undivided attention: diaper changes, feedings, burping, spit-up, rocking, etc. I'm not saying this to scare you, but to prepare you. It's not something to take lightly.

When the baby is awake, you'll spend your time doing the above with him to meet his needs. When he's asleep, you'll either be trying to sleep yourself or wash bottles/pump breastmilk, wash clothes, etc.

So to answer your question, no, I don't think it's ok to sleep while baby is awake.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-21-2008, 09:02 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

marisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB User

i have to respectfully disagree with lauralu (and lauralu, please don't be offended, i love your posts and completely respect your thoughts and opinions on these boards!!!).... i think it's hard to find time to sleep when baby is awake, but it's not impossible, and i do think it's okay to do if you can.

there have been very rare occasions when my newborn (she's just over three weeks old now) has been awake and content to just lay there so i take advantage of her happy awake moments and take a nap! she lays in her bassinet right next to my bed so i am right there if she needs me, but she just lays there and watches the fan go around....

but like lauralu said, be prepared to be busy, busy, busy!!! and those moments where baby might be awake and content are very VERY rare, so don't get your hopes up there! but it can happen and i believe that you should take advantage of every single opportunity you're presented with to get some sleep!

Old 08-22-2008, 04:31 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

km7503 HB User

I agree with Marisuela...it is quite possible that even during the night your baby could be awake in his/her crib or bassinet and not make a peep and you could be soundly asleep. It is when they cry that alarms you awake and gives you the head's up that he/she needs something. So, this is also possible during the day naps as well. Sometimes, you have to take advantage of these moments to get in as much sleep as possible.

I wouldn't advise putting an older, more active child in the pack n play and purpously fall asleep though while they aren't watched. For a few moments to take a shower or something is okay but you never know how long you could pass out when you're sleep deprived!! If you think you'll be in danger of falling asleep and need supervision of the baby, find someone to watch over him/her.

Old 08-22-2008, 05:18 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

skyy11 HB User

Are you asking can you or should you? Babies keep you very busy through out the day and night. There usually is not a lot of time to even think of sleep during the day. Little ones poop and pee a lot. And they need to eat and be held to keep them happy. That is why you should sleep when they do.

I know how important sleep is, though. I would try to get someone to help as much as possible so you can get some rest here and there.But if your little one is awake, and everything has been done to make sure he/she is happy and content, a little nap should be ok. As long as baby is close to you and you can hear him wake up. But this is rare to have the baby awake and not need something.

Old 08-22-2008, 05:52 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Delia79 HB User

Without going into a lot of detail, I have to say I agree with LauraLu. I do not think it's ok to sleep when babies are awake. Just my opinion.

Old 08-22-2008, 07:35 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

simplyheather HB User

I am kinda torn on this subject. I don't really advise it because some people are heavier sleepers than others. On the other hand, I have to admit, there was a few times when my son was awake and I layed down on the couch, and woke up a few minutes later to see him staring at me!! Now, This was when I was dog-tired!! And it was only for a few minutes. Things get easier as they get older, and start sleeping in more of a routine. There are times now that I am so tired, I know if I lay down for even a second I'll be done for. So I just don't!

But I definatly say you do need sleep, its really important. Have someone come watch your baby for a little bit. I say that, but I never did it!!! But do what works for you... I'd just be wary of sleeping while they're awake, unless someone else is there to help.

Old 08-22-2008, 01:08 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

skyy11 HB User

I just wanted to add that if you breastfeed, you will become very relaxed, and easily fall asleep if you are tired. This is what is supposed to happen. I spoke w/ my Dr. today at my postpartum check up. It helps to release more milk and helps in bonding w/ your baby. Your baby will fall asleep too. Especially at night, I find breastfeeding so much easier. Good luck!

Old 08-23-2008, 01:37 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sweetest_Pink00 HB User

Thank you guys for all your opinions! From what i read i think its ok to sleep while babies are awake cat naps dont seem too bad. People talk alot about being busy so much when babies get here and i totally agree however every one situation is different i know. For instance me, i go to work and come home most of the time and rarely go out on weekends i have specific days when i do laundry so for me laundry is not an every day daily routine. I see on tv that people are exhausted with kids because they have to wake up and breastfeed then do laundry and dishes and dust this and sweep that. change diapers and burp baby and then do it allover again. I clean up on Sundays mostly and even that doesnt have to be done every week and my house isnt being terrorized by other kids. Its basically just my bf and i, he works nights and i am here in the day so we have already worked out shifts between us.

I think when the baby gets here i will be giving him all my attention because thats what i know i have to do and i want to anyway. I dont think i will miss to much of anything. Baby has the right to take up all my time and i dont mind it at all.

Again thanks alot for your thoughts i think this bd is really helping me to prepare for my little guy. you all always give such good advice.

Old 08-23-2008, 04:14 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Delia79 HB User

Sweet,
I think you are right, everyone's situation is different. And you will realize that when baby comes, housework goes out the window for a while. You do what you can, when you can. But the most important thing right away is that you take care of baby and yourself. If the laundry doesn't get done right away, it's ok. I know when I came home from the hospital, DH was a big help (and still is now that I am pregnant again) with all of the household chores. But don't get too worked up about getting that stuff done. It will get done when it gets done and it's not the end of the world if it's not done right away. What's most important is that you take care of you and that you spend that time bonding with your little boy.

My only concern with sleeping while baby is awake is that something would happen, and like a few of the other posters said, you never know how deep of a sleep you could be in and maybe wouldn't hear the baby. BUT, I have to say that I think all mothers have that instinct to wake as soon as they hear ANYTHING! I am still this way and my daughter is almost 14 months old. If she makes ONE noise in the night, I hear it. Of course I've always been a light sleeper anyway, but I just think that moms have that instint to be on alert at all times. Now, DH on the other hand could sleep through a tornado! He never wakes up when our daughter cries etc. so I've always taken on that responsibility to be the caregiver at night time. Which is fine by me because I am lucky and only have to work part time.

Anyway, you'll figure all of this out when your little boy arrives. It sounds stupid, but it really does just come naturally. So try not to worry and enjoy these last few weeks of being able to sleep whenever you want. You're going to need it!!!!

Closed Thread