It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2008, 08:16 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

megss HB User
Normal Poop?

The consistancy of my 11.5 month old DD's poopies have changed recently. They went from being hard logs (like an adults) to very smushy and soft. I noticed the change around the same time that I started adding wheat to her diet. The first several times we tried wheat, starting around 4 months old, she developed a rash. About a month ago when I tried it again, no rash appeared and hasn't since, so I assumed she grew out of her sensitivity.
Now, her old poops used to be very difficult for her to pass, and I often times had to help her. Now she has obviously no problems.
I am concerned because I am not sure if the change in consistancy is due to more fiber, or if there is still a sensitivity there, and it is just showing itself in another form. I can't tell if it is diarreah, or if this is normal for a baby her age. All of her meals and snacks are real foods. She doesn't eat any baby food. She eats a lot of fruit, mainly pears and peaches. She has a bottle once or twice a day, depending on how many naps she takes, once at bed time, and twice during the night. Anywhere from 7-9 oz at a time.
So my question is, what is the poop like for your infants with a similar diet to my daughter's.
I am so sorry for how disgusting this post is!

Old 08-29-2008, 04:08 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Delia79 HB User
Re: Normal Poop?

Meg,
I would say it seems normal and is probably caused by what she eats. Ella's change a lot! Sometimes they are more like an adults and sometimes they are more like what you are saying Grace has now. Ella also eats no baby food and hasn't for a while. She only has one actual bottle with whole milk a day (right before bed) but even that is getting hard for me to get her to take anymore. The rest of the day she drinks water and milk from a sippy cup. Other than that, she eats what we eat. I would say that you would probably know if she were actually having diarreah and that this sounds more to me like just a softer consistency. I think it's funny to talk about this kind of stuff now. Ella was a little constipated the other day and finally went! DH took her to change her. When he came back, I said, did she poop and he said that she had. Then I asked what it was like. Then we both laughed. Still funny that your conversations turn to things like that when you become a parent.

Last edited by Delia79; 08-29-2008 at 04:10 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-29-2008, 08:55 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

megss HB User

Thanks Delia!

I know...It's funny how poop becomes a daily conversational topic after having a baby! "Did she poop yet?" Hehe
You are right, I think I would know if it were diarreah. It is not watery or anything..... I will continue to watch it, but I should probably just be thankful that she can go now without any trouble.
I hope you are feeling okay...I know you only have a few weeks left! September is a great month to have a baby!!!!

Old 08-30-2008, 07:05 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

sem627 HB User

Diarrhea is watery and several of them. There's a difference between a loose stool and diarrhea. And from what it sounds like, you're not even describing loose stool. In any case, one loose stool is not diarrhea, which happens several times.

I think what you're describing is totally normal. My son's are almost always mushy. Pears will definitely do that. I don't think she has a sensitivity to wheat because you would probably see other things going on....rash, vomiting, true diarrhea.

I would be glad that you've found something to make her poop more normal instead of her having to struggle.

Old 08-30-2008, 06:44 PM   #5
(female)

doodlebugsmom HB User

Honestly, if it were diarrhea, you'd know. You wouldn't be able to keep a clean diaper on and it would be VERY liquid, like a puddle, not soft and smooshy. There'd be no form whatsoever, and it would be very frequent. It honestly sounds like the increased fiber is just helping correct the apparant constipation problem.
I wish we could find something to help my son's stools. He rarely ever has a formed stool. His are still much like a 4-6 month old just starting on baby food, but he's 14 months and has been on table food since 10 months, and they're still loose, liquidy and mucousy at times. So, sorry to hijack your post. I just wanted to say that what you describe sounds normal and you shouldn't worry about anything.

Old 08-30-2008, 07:52 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

megss HB User

Thanks everyone.

Doodle- Have you had your son tested for a lactose or gluten intolerance? It sounds like something is probably going on with his digestion. I have celiac disease (gluten intolerance) and one of the initial and most obvious symptoms is diarreah. Mucous in the stool can happen. Other symptoms are abdominal pain, weight lose, failure to thrive in children...and some other more serious symptoms if left untreated for a long time. The way to treat the disease is simply to cut out wheat and gluten from the diet. Many celiacs also cannot do lactose. I would look it up and see if this sounds like something you should have him tested for. Or even try cutting out wheat and gluten and see if his symptoms improve. I was diagnosed, oh, about 5 or 6 years ago. Who knows how long I had actually had it, but my symptoms began appearing a few years before that.
This is why I am so paranoid about my DD.

Old 08-31-2008, 03:05 AM   #7
(female)

doodlebugsmom HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by megss View Post
Thanks everyone.

Doodle- Have you had your son tested for a lactose or gluten intolerance? It sounds like something is probably going on with his digestion. I have celiac disease (gluten intolerance) and one of the initial and most obvious symptoms is diarreah. Mucous in the stool can happen. Other symptoms are abdominal pain, weight lose, failure to thrive in children...and some other more serious symptoms if left untreated for a long time. The way to treat the disease is simply to cut out wheat and gluten from the diet. Many celiacs also cannot do lactose. I would look it up and see if this sounds like something you should have him tested for. Or even try cutting out wheat and gluten and see if his symptoms improve. I was diagnosed, oh, about 5 or 6 years ago. Who knows how long I had actually had it, but my symptoms began appearing a few years before that.
This is why I am so paranoid about my DD.
He eats gluten free, because of the obvious correlation between gluten and his stomach upset, but he did test negative for Celiac. He isn't lactose intolerant, but does have symptoms of milk protein allergy, so he doesn't do milk or soy either. Actually, there are 17 foods we don't do currently, and we're seeing an allergist in 2 days.

Old 08-31-2008, 05:33 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

megss HB User

Wow, poor guy I hope the allergist can find a cause. I know that if you are eating gluten free, you will test negative for Celiacs. But I wouldn't even bother with that since his symptoms have not improved on the gluten free diet....

Old 08-31-2008, 05:00 PM   #9
(female)

doodlebugsmom HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by megss View Post
Wow, poor guy I hope the allergist can find a cause. I know that if you are eating gluten free, you will test negative for Celiacs. But I wouldn't even bother with that since his symptoms have not improved on the gluten free diet....
Sorry I hijacked your post. His symptoms do go away on gluten free, well, rather they improve. I just think there is something I'm missing. He's eating something that is causing GI distress (his belly has been a bit upset for a little over a months) and I've failed to make the correlation, and his diet is so varied now its going to be SOOOOO hard to find it, but I'm trying. Anyway, I hope the allergist can get to the bottom of some things as well. Its a nightmare trying to go out to eat.

Last edited by doodlebugsmom; 08-31-2008 at 05:00 PM.

Old 08-31-2008, 07:31 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

megss HB User

Don't worry about it!

It could be Celiacs then. It can take months after you stop eating gluten for it to be out of your system. The most accurate way to test for Celiacs is by an endoscopy. That is how I was diagnosed. But that would be too invasive for your little guy because they take a biopsy of intestinal tissue. I hope you find an answer soon! It must be so frustrating. Please let me know how his appointment goes with the allergist.

Closed Thread