It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2008, 08:38 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

E1979 HB User
discipline a 15 month old with a TEMPER!!!

My 15 month old son has quite a little temper on him! He has a strong personality and is very confidant which right now is giving me a hard time but I know later in life these will be good quilities. But how do you dicipline a 15 month old??? Some of the things he does that I feel should be nipped in the bud are: Hitting(me mainly), throwing food, throwing objects when he's upset.
I tell him very sternly "No hitting!" but he doesn't seem to get it or just doesn't care. Sometimes he will smile at me(a devilish smile) and sometimes he'll hang his head down when I scold him.
With the food I don't know if I should take his plate away when he throws his food because he is going through a picky phase and I need him to eat as much as I can get him too.
Any ideas or suggestions on how/what to do to dicipline such a young child???

Old 10-14-2008, 11:41 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

simplyheather HB User
Re: dicipline a 15 month old with a TEMPER!!!

I'd like to hear the suggestions too.. My son is right at 15 mo. and he is a terror sometimes. I tell him not to do something and he just looks at me, smiles, then does it! haha He also has a hard time expressing himself. He doesn't talk yet, so there's a melt down everytime something doesn't go his way.

I'd appreciate the help too!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-14-2008, 05:14 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

E1979 HB User

I am glad to hear that my son isn't the only one not talking yet. That's another concern of mine. It really sounds like he's trying to say car and he can definately say "mama" and "dada" but I don't think he knows what he's saying. So i am not sure if that counts then.

Old 10-14-2008, 07:57 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

megss HB User

Grace is only 13 months, but whenever I say "no" she looks at me and smiles or laughs and does it anyway. Throwing food is also a problem for her. She has also entered the temper tantrum phase, where she throws a fit when she doesn't get her way. Her whole body goes limp and she kicks and screams. She is so dramatic! I try to distract her with something that she can play with, but she will knock that away.
I think it is just a normal part of growing up. They are so used to getting whatever they want from the time they were born. It's a learning process to be told no.

Old 10-14-2008, 08:25 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

WhiskersOnKittens HB User

My ds is now 17mo, and I've been struggling with this issue for months now, myself. But he does seem to be getting MUCH better at obeying me. Anytime he does something he shouldn't do, I tell him "no", and remove him from the situation. It takes a LOT of patience! Because I've been doing it this way for months, and he's just now starting to listen to me.
I think you're doing the right thing, just be consistant. Make sure he knows you mean buisness, even if he does think it's funny at the time (which ds still does sometimes, and it drives me insane!), and stick with what you say. For instance, my ds ALWAYS wants to stand in the bath tub, and I seriously have to tell him "no, you have to sit in the tub", and sit him back down about 10 times at every bath! But I'm sure he'll learn, or he'll just pass that phase (either one would be fine with me... ). Fortunately, my ds hasn't really ever thrown his food. But maybe if you just give him a few pieces of food at a time, he won't find it so amusing to toss it all? Just a suggestion.
As for the talking, I really think kids talk at such different ages... If you're really concerned, talk to his dr about it, but I would think as long as he's babbling quite a bit (and maybe even making constanant sounds, although it might be early for that), I wouldn't worry too much. Does he understand things you say? I've heard friends say that their kids were seemingly "late" talkers (although at 15 months, I don't think it's classified as "late"), and all of a sudden they were saying like 10 words, that the parents had no idea the baby knew.
Hang in there with the discipline though, that's a very normal situation!

Whiskers
Our newest bundle, Brody Anderson! - February 09'

Old 10-15-2008, 04:55 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Delia79 HB User

Ella has quite a temper as well and I don't think her new baby sister is helping the situation unfortunately. There have been several times over the past few weeks when I've been feeding the baby and she'll bring a book over and want me to hold her and read it to her. I try to read it while she is standing there but unfortunately with breastfeeding, I can't hold her and breastfeed at the same time. She gets very upset and has started throwing the book at me! I DO NOT accept that kind of behavior at all and she knows it. She will also stomp her feet and whine which drives me nuts. I've been doing the same things as you all. Just trying to remove her from the situation by either trying to give her something in place of what she is wanting or by explaning to her that she will have to wait her turn. So far it hasn't worked well. But I agree, I think this is a stage, and unfortunately for Ella I think it has been mixed in with a bit of jealousy. I just keep trying to be consistent with how I discipline her and hope she catches on. Sooner than later if I am lucky!

Old 10-15-2008, 07:39 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

E1979 HB User

Wiskers, he has been babbling for a long time now. And he does say "dada" but I don't think he knows what it means, so does that count? He is starting to say "car" He can make some constinants sound like "n" "d" "c" those I can for sure say I have heard him mumble. He does understand some words. I can ask him where's his nose and he'll point to it. And he can point out EVERY LAST SESAME STREET CHARACTER!!! In a book or on his blanket, you ask him "where's Oscar or Elmo or Cookie or Big Bid" and he'll get it right everytime. I can also ask him some simple questions like "do you want some water?" and he'll shake his head no or nod yes. So he does understand quite a bit it looks like but he just wont talk himself. Or at least not in english!

Old 10-15-2008, 08:38 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

simplyheather HB User

Your son sounds like mine E1979 - He said "more" for the first time last night when he wanted more to drink. It sounded more like "mo" but it works for me! He babbles alot, but we are just now breaking him of his binky, so that could be another reason why he wasn't talking alot. He does understand alot of stuff. I'll ask him where his milk is, and he'll get it. And if he's hungry (he doesn't nod or shake his head for yes or no, he just does it when he feels like it.) But there's a lot of stuff he understands and he knows what objects are, (ie, shoes, diaper, wipes, keys) he just doesn't say it.... nuts!

Old 10-15-2008, 09:17 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Delia79 HB User

At Ella's 15 month checkup her pedi said that normal for this time is "momma" "dada" and one other word. So it looks like to me that your son is right on track. Ella can say plenty of words but doesn't say them a lot. Just when the moment strikes. So, whether they say them or not right now I think it sounds like they are doing what they should be.

Old 10-15-2008, 10:32 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

WhiskersOnKittens HB User

I agree with Delia. My ds's first word was "bye-bye" (quite clearly, too!) at 8.5 mo, and from then until his first birthday, his vocab increased. But since then, it seems to have come to a screeching halt! He has added a couple new words, but doesn't say them on a regular basis, and only a few people know what he's saying when he says it. He has started babbling quite a bit of constanants lately (it really sounds like he's speaking in another language), so I'm confident that he's just figuring out how to work his tongue, and soon he'll learn to form more words on his own.
That's great that he understands so much! I think he's just fine. You know, the "dada" thing (him not knowing what it means) kind of made me laugh because it reminds me of how my ds NEVER calls me. He never says mama unless I ask him to, but he will say "hi daddy" or "bye daddy" all the time! I am so jealous... I think your ds probably does know it's his daddy, he's just tricking you... Like I'm hoping mine is tricking me!

Whiskers
Our newest bundle, Brody Anderson! - February 09'

Old 10-15-2008, 11:08 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Delia79 HB User
Re: discipline a 15 month old with a TEMPER!!!

Ella has been babbling quite a lot lately too. Just a few weeks ago out of no where she went on this tangent for about 10 minutes babbling in what I can only guess where sentences to her and pointing at things around the room. DH and I were cracking up! It was hilarious and sooo cute. She's been doing it ever since and I think to her that is her way of talking even though the words aren't making sense to us yet.

Last edited by Delia79; 10-15-2008 at 11:08 AM.

Old 10-15-2008, 05:39 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

E1979 HB User

Tanner will walk around screeching "dada" in a very high pitch over and over. Almost sing song like. So that's why it seems like he doesn't actually understand that he's saying an actual word. He just seems to like the sound he's making. I have heard him say "car" and I have been trying to get him to say it all night tonight but he just wont! Urgh!

Old 10-15-2008, 07:10 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

luckydarlin HB User

I agree with Whiskers - just keep being consistent with it and they will eventually catch on. My daughter is 18 months old and has my wonderful Irish temper so when she's frustrated or in the middle of a tantrum, look out! I just remain consistent about things - if she's not suppose to press the button on the water cooler and flood the kitchen, then I will tell her 50 times in one day if necessary and honestly, she will then go weeks without going near it again. I haven't done the time out thing because I really don't think she'd "get" that whole concept right now - others may disagree, but I definitely think it depends on your child at that point.

As for the food throwing, we're at that stage now. Lovely, isn't it?? I can always tell when she's done eating now because the food starts flying. It definitely doesn't help that we have a dog so it's a big game to her to throw the food to him. Once she starts tossing the food off her plate and then pushing her plate around (or OFF the table), I take it away and take her down from the table. I really believe the old stand by of "if they're hungry, they'll eat" so that's what I've been working from. Now if I can just teach her not to chuck her cup off the table!

As for talking, I think I remember my pediatrician saying that by age 2 they should have about twenty words in their vocabulary and the most words they will accumulate prior to turning 2. I've noticed just within the last month that my daughter is really picking up words and repeating, definitely leaps and bounds from the few words she was saying at around 14 or so months. Now I just have to REALLY watch what comes out of MY mouth!!!

Last edited by luckydarlin; 10-15-2008 at 07:12 PM.

Old 10-16-2008, 08:45 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

E1979 HB User

Thanks very much for all the advice. It's so hard to try to get them not to do certain things because I feel he is still too young to understand most things. You can't reason with them at this age. Or at least I can't reason with my son. What sometimes works for me is Tanner LOVES to give high fives. He just learned how and is so proud of himself. So when he is doing something and I tell him "no" and he listens. I tell him "thank you very much" and and ask him for a high five. Not sure how long this will work but for now it is doing the trick.

Closed Thread