It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2008, 12:46 PM   #1
(male)

clint28 HB User
how much milk at 18 months of age?

how much milk should my daughter have at 18 months of age?
she weighs 12kg and is drinking cows milk

Old 11-12-2008, 02:59 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

joansartiers HB User
Re: how much milk at 18 months of age?

Normally it is best for the child to stay on breast milk until they are at least 2 years of age. Cows milk is not really recommended for young children and can cause allergy reactions such as the skin. There are baby formulas you can get from pharmacys that contain the vitamins and nutrients that the baby will not get from the mother if she can not breastfeed. The formulas also contain pro-biotics that help with the digestion of the stomach as well as keeping the immune system at level so that infections don't occur. If you can, talk to a pediatrician to help guide you thorughout this process. Goodluck =]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-12-2008, 05:23 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

E1979 HB User

My DS is 16 months old and he is already on 2% milk b/c he was getting so constipated on whole milk. He has approx 18oz a day: 6 oz first thing in the morning, 4oz before dinner, and 8oz at bedtime. Our DR seems to think this is a fine amount for him. He eats so well and loves fruits and veggies. So he has a well balanced diet. DR told us somewhere between 16-22oz is about right depending on your child's diet and such. I guess if they are a picky poor eater they may need some more milk to make sure they are getting all the vitamins from it. Best of luck.

Old 11-12-2008, 07:52 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

WhiskersOnKittens HB User

I agree with E. Liam is 18mo now, and his doctor actually told us that somewhere between 10-20oz. is fine per day. However I think that 10oz. is a little on the low side for only 18 months, so he gets 16oz a day (2, 8oz cups, one in the morning, and one before bed). My ds really loves milk though, however he has a sensitivity to the cow's milk, so we don't want to over-do it. But I suppose if you have a little one that doesn't like it so much, then 10 oz would probably be fine!

Whiskers
Our newest bundle, Brody Anderson! - February 09'

Old 11-12-2008, 09:44 PM   #5
(female)

doodlebugsmom HB User

Kids don't really need cow's milk, so the rule of thumb is 16-24oz MAXIMUM per day, with no real minimum, so long as you know they're eating plenty of vegetables for their calcium and getting vit d from sun exposure. That being said, my son has multiple food allergies so, in lieu of milk he's on hemp milk. Its unfortified, meaning we have to get calcium and vit d from other sources, but he's on the hemp milk for the healthy fats it contains. He needs all the fat he can get, he's such a scrawny little thing.

Old 11-12-2008, 09:44 PM   #6
(female)

doodlebugsmom HB User

Kids don't really need cow's milk, so the rule of thumb is 16-24oz MAXIMUM per day, with no real minimum, so long as you know they're eating plenty of vegetables for their calcium and getting vit d from sun exposure. That being said, my son has multiple food allergies so, in lieu of milk he's on hemp milk. Its unfortified, meaning we have to get calcium and vit d from other sources, but he's on the hemp milk for the healthy fats it contains. He needs all the fat he can get, he's such a scrawny little thing.

Closed Thread