It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2008, 09:42 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

WhiskersOnKittens HB User
Echinacea for toddlers?

Hi ladies,

I was in Wal-Mart today, looking for a Vitamin C drop to give my 18mo ds, to help ward off colds and flu's this season. They didn't have any Vitamin C for kids in a drop form--everything was for older kids, or adults, but what they did have was echinacea, and listed on the bottle was from ages 1-14. So I bought it, not thinking that I should probably ask his doctor what his opinion on giving an herbal supplement would be.

Does anybody have any idea if using this in such a young child could be potentially harmful? I did a bit of research, and I found LOADS of varying opinions--one even said that it could cause sterility if used in kids! So, I'm now afraid to give it to him. Also, is this ONLY to be used when/if he gets symptoms of illness (in that case, I don't know how useful it would be to him, since when he DOES get sick, there don't seem to be too many symptoms before he gets it full-blown), or can it be used everyday? The dosage isn't very high--it's 2-4 drops up to twice daily. Any opinions are appreciated!

Whiskers
Our newest bundle, Brody Anderson! - February 09'

Old 11-20-2008, 01:33 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

AlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB User
Re: Echinacea for toddlers?

I give my daughter echinacea. I bought Herbs for Kids at Whole Foods. Keep in mind when asking a doctor, they may not agree with herbs because they practice medicine and may urge you to just get a flu shot for your child because they are not experts in natural medicine or herbs in most cases. My daughter is 2.5 and has yet to be sick, even if we are surrounded by sick people, we never get sick. I give my 2 year old two droppers full once a day usually. If you want to find vitamin C for young toddler, you may have to check out a Whole Foods or Henry's, a more natural or organic based grocery store in your area. I found liquid vitamin C for toddlers at Whole Foods and I usually add it to some orange juice in the morning for my daughter. Most people don't use natural means like this for their children for whatever reason but I do, so I hope this helps you. Basically you give your child the echinacea everyday until the bottle is gone and it will boost the immune system for several months. Usually you use the echinacea this time of the year instead of getting a flu shot. My daughter maybe has a day or two left until her bottle is gone. I won't buy anymore for a few months, but I will continue to give her extra vitamin C and other vitamins.

Last edited by AlexaIn2006; 11-20-2008 at 01:35 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-20-2008, 02:30 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

WhiskersOnKittens HB User

Thanks for the reply, Alexa.

I remember you being quite helpful when I decided not to have the flu shot for Liam. We stuck by that descision, and guess what? He ended up getting the flu. It was BEFORE we would've had the chance to get the shot for him anyways (had we chosen to do so), so that makes me feel a bit better, but I still feel a bit guilty. I'm trying to think though, that him having the flu probably strengthened his immune system, since he was forced to fight it off. But boy, did I still feel badly! I don't think he's ever been that sick.

Anyway, I will continue to try and find the vitamin c drops for him. I just worried about giving him the echinacea everyday, because on the bottle it just says to give 2-4 drops, up to twice daily, until the child is "better" basically (I can't remember the exact wording used..). And then I started to think that whenever I've taken it, it's been if I feel a cold or flu coming on. But like I said, it's different when you're dealing with an active toddler, who won't tell you if he's beginning to feel "slightly" under the weather...

The brand I bought is Swiss Herb, I believe it's called, so I wonder if that's any different than the kind that you give your dd? I'd be afraid to give him an "overdose" if that's possible, of the herb, but I would like him to have a good, solid, daily defense against coming down with anything again (especially in the near future).

Thanks!
Whiskers
Our newest bundle, Brody Anderson! - February 09'

Old 11-21-2008, 07:00 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

AlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB User

I have Herbs for Kids and the bottle just says it isn't for long term use which is true. You don't want to take it 365 days of the year, it is an immune booster that you would take for several weeks or a couple of months until the bottle is empty.

Closed Thread