It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2008, 08:31 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Brooke85 HB User
Can I give my 8.5 month old echinacea?

I just got word my MIL has THE FLU! She will be coming over Thanksgiving morning and we are going to be cooking dinner together. I already give my 2 1/2 yr. old DD echinacea plus a multi-vitamin, but I was wondering if it is safe to slip some liquid echinacea into my DS's bottle to boost his immune system a little. He is just now getting over a cold DH brought home last week and when he gets sick he usually gets it the worst because he's asthmatic I'm just being a paranoid mama and I hate when my babies are exposed (even though we love grandma DEARLY)...this is kind of one of those unavoidable things being that it's Thanksgiving.

I read the back of the bottle and the youngest it said is age 1-2...up to 24 lbs. My DS is 8 1/2 months old and is 21 lbs. Should I hold off? Thanks

Old 11-26-2008, 10:26 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Accutane2X HB User
Re: Can I give my 8.5 month old echinacea?

Would love to hear the replies. My DD is 8 months and 21 lbs. She has been sick ever since beginning a new daycare. It seems as soon as she gets better she catches the next thing. I'm exhausted. I'd love to give her something to boost her immune system. I only breastfed for 6 weeks. I should have done it a bit longer.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-30-2008, 06:15 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

The impression I get is that no one has any idea whether it's safe for babies. They're not even sure if it's safe for nursing mothers, so if I were you I wouldn't try it.

Accutane2X, I wouldn't feel too guilty over halting nursing after 6 weeks. Breast milk has a lot of antibodies for the first few weeks, but not so many once they're old enough that their own immune systems start to work. And, of course, your antibodies can't help your baby against bugs you haven't had.

Old 11-30-2008, 07:28 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

AlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB User

I would give it to me child at that age. Most people vaccinate their children thereby injecting animals DNA, mercury, formaldehyde, aluminum, etc. and don't think much about it. We eat chemically laden and genetically modifed foods and most don't think much about the effects of that either. I could go on and on, but my point is that this is a natural product. My 2.5 year takes this along with other flu prevention things and has yet to get sick in her life. The echinacea will build up the immune system. The babies are only a couple of pounds off from starting, so I would give them a smaller dose for a few days or so and see how it goes.

Old 12-03-2008, 10:09 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Brooke85 HB User

Alexain2006, just curious...what other flu prevention methods do you use for your DD?

Old 12-03-2008, 06:31 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Basically chemicals do not belong in the body, so over the ladt couple of years little by little I have changed my life. I buy all organic alternatives to food. I do not use antibacterial soaps, instead I use Avalon Organic Lemon handsoap. I use organic or natural shampoos and soaps with my daughter in her baths. I usually add a different essential oil almost everyday to her baths such as bergamot, lavendar, eucalyptus because they are naturally antibacterial, antifungal, antiviral and the body will soal these oils through the skin where they will go to the bloodstream and keep it free or fights any infections that make you sick. I give her the brand Herbs for Kids liquid echinacea every year around the time they start advertising the flu shot or just before everyone starts getting sick. I add a liquid childrens vitamin C to her organic orange juice and she also takes a multivitamin. I know I live in Southern California so it is easy to get outside more, so I make sure she gets plenty of sunshine on her skin for the vitamin D and let her run around for exercise. We stay away from any medicine and I stopped vaccinating her after her 12 month appointment. Oh, I also try to add some fresh lemon to her spring water and we stay away from flouride in the water and toothpaste. I also give her probiotics. Basically I am trying to keep the chemicals from getting into her body and jeopardizing her immune system. As long as your immune system is strong, you can fight off any infection. My daughters little toddler freinds her age are sick often and Alexa never gets sick, she will even play with them a day or two before they come down sick and usually again a couple of days later while they are getting over it and I expose Alexa to everyone, it doesn't bother me is sick people are around because for the most part I know we are healthy enough to fight off what comes our way and if we happen to get the flu, they who cares. I know by taking a ton of vitamin C and other things you can stop the flu once you start to get it or shorten the time by days. There were no flu shots when I grew up and we got the flu or colds and no one treated it like the plague like it seems today.

I was never like this until just a couple of years ago and I didn't change overnight. This has been a gradual process, but once I thought to read something for myself, I couldn't ignore the truth. I know there are healthy ways to live and treat yourself other than with drugs and shots. I am pretty passionate about this and I know it makes me a controversial figure and I often feel alone because so many rely on convential drugs and doctors. Anyways, this is what I do, and why I am the way I am now.

Old 12-05-2008, 11:20 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Brooke85 HB User

Thanks Alexa I've been slowly switching to organic products, but I feel I'm a long way off from where I'd like to be. Mainly I just do not have it in the budget right now to buy all organic, or I definitely would buy everything natural. Everything but my shampoo is organic/natural...and I use Burt's Bees for my DD because the other stuff caused her yeast infections all the time. She has gotten a couple mild ones since then, but not like she used to I read that book by Kevin Trudeau...and some of the stuff he writes in there is really eye-opening. My grandpa is in remission from cancer and is finally starting to realize all this stuff as well. He was telling me the other day ago that he can't understand how they haven't found a cure for any cancers yet...he never even read that book I mentioned above and he even thinks it's all these drug/medicine companies trying to say in business and make $$ off of sick people. It's sad, but I really agree with him.

Old 12-06-2008, 10:51 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

I changed intially because after reading about drugs used for birth, I decided they are very risky and they cause many side effects that most women experience whether they reazlie it or not. I read very deeply into it and it was what opening my eyes to be honest. My husband first read the Kevin Trudeau book and he recommended it to me and that was the second push. I love food, so I don't restrict myself because to me you lose a certain zest with life, but I also do what I can and the change has been gradual for us over the last couple of years. Anything you do helps!

Old 02-16-2010, 04:56 PM   #9
(female)

aduenas HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooke85 View Post
I just got word my MIL has THE FLU! She will be coming over Thanksgiving morning and we are going to be cooking dinner together. I already give my 2 1/2 yr. old DD echinacea plus a multi-vitamin, but I was wondering if it is safe to slip some liquid echinacea into my DS's bottle to boost his immune system a little. He is just now getting over a cold DH brought home last week and when he gets sick he usually gets it the worst because he's asthmatic I'm just being a paranoid mama and I hate when my babies are exposed (even though we love grandma DEARLY)...this is kind of one of those unavoidable things being that it's Thanksgiving.

I read the back of the bottle and the youngest it said is age 1-2...up to 24 lbs. My DS is 8 1/2 months old and is 21 lbs. Should I hold off? Thanks
did you finally give your baby echinacea? I have the same question I have a 8 month baby who has been with a cold for weeks.

Old 02-25-2010, 01:14 PM   #10
Veteran
(male)

caberg HB Usercaberg HB Usercaberg HB Usercaberg HB Usercaberg HB User

Ask your pediatrician. Boy, I would be really hesitant to be giving supplements to our baby.

Old 03-03-2010, 10:41 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

justmel30 HB User

I agree with caberg. Children get sick, just like adults. I think it bothers us to look at them more then it does for them to go through it. My doctor allways told me with my children that they have amazing little immune systems and to let nature take its course.

Closed Thread