HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Infant Care (up to 18 months old) (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/infant-care-up-18-months-old/)
-   -   what should a 13 month old eat? (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/infant-care-up-18-months-old/654320-what-should-13-month-old-eat.html)

newbmom 12-05-2008 01:21 PM

what should a 13 month old eat?

Hi all,

Can anyone share with me the average daily menu for their 13 month old? or older? I am not a cooker (presently working on that) but I would like easy nutrious meal ideas for my son. He loves carbs like his mom and dad but as we all know carbs do not a diet make. So, he still eats stage 2 foods, his cereals (Gerber and CHEERIOS and milk), and cereal bars but he hates stage 3 dinners. I don't disagree with him; they are nasty, flavorless meals. He eats some "grown-up" food like chicken, pasta, small pieces of meat, bread and butter, bread and cream cheese, pancakes cut up. But sometimes most of it is on the floor, in his hair etc and I give him jarred foods and his formula and milk and diluted juice bottles. I haven't tried peanut butter yet; I am still afraid of a bad reaction although no one is allergic to it in the family. When should a child be totally on "grown-up" foods?

newbmom 12-05-2008 01:35 PM

Re: what should a 13 month old eat?

I have some more questions...Is it normal for whatever I put in my son's mouth to come back out? He pushes foods back out at me. Also he has begun to drop food on the floor for the dog to eat; does this mean he doesn't like it? he's not hungry? he's teething (which he is right now) or all of the above? I am getting frustrated and concerned because mealtimes are more like battlegrounds at this time.

kitchener12 12-07-2008 05:18 PM

it sounds like you are doing all the right things :)
My 10 month old pushes food out if she doesnt like it (I offer it again another time and she may love it?) and also if she knows there is other food she likes better on the table, I made my LO pasta stars and mashed sweet potato yesterday she spat it out and had 4 chicken wings (off the bone and broken up!!! Just what we were having!) she then had a whole yougurt (never liked it before!! ) So they are really experimenting with taste and texture at this time. Sadly we do not have a dog but the cat does her best to eat what falls on the floor lol!
As for daily diet I would say:
Breakfast: 1/2 cup baby cereal mixed with 1/4 cup apple sauce (unsweetened)
Lunch: 1/2 jar baby food if I can get it in if not some grated cheese, bread and cut up veg/fruit
Dinner : usually what ever we are having in small pieces, if we having some thing processed/packaged I will usually try her with baby cereal again and a banana or avocado
Snack: rice crackers, cherrios, fruit, cooked veg bread and sometimes the baby snack avail
She still has about 18-24 oz formula and some water but no juice at all ( bad for teeth).

megss 12-07-2008 09:16 PM

Hi!

My DD (15 months now) was on grown up food early, by about 10 months I would say. She is actually a fantastic eater compared to other babies I know. I make sure she has a protein, car, and fruit or veggie with each meal, although with breakfast there is usually no protein. I will list the things she eats:
[U]Breakfast[/U]
Dry cereal with fruit (pears, peaches, fruit cocktail, banana),
Cereal bar with fruit, or
Waffle with sugar free grape jam
scrambled eggs with a little cheese

[U]Lunch[/U]
Lunch meat ham or turkey (she will only eat cubes, not slices) with fruit and crackers or a slice of bread with jam or tator tots
Grilled cheese sandwhich with fruit
Macaroni and cheese

[U]Dinner[/U]
Whatever we eat. She likes chicken, seasoned hamburger meat, peas, brocolli, carrots (canned because they are nice and soft), any type of potato (mashed, baked, boiled), rice, sweet potatoes, sweet corn, soft tacos, pot roast, spagetti

For snacks we do juice with ritz crackers, cheez-its, bananas, cereal bars, Gerber cookies, dried cereal.

She is such a star at eating that she already uses a fork perfectly! And that started a month or two ago!:)

It is totally normal for food to go on the floor. It's not because they don't like it, it is because they just want to watch it fall to the ground. Grace doesn't do it so much anymore, so it will pass.

simplyheather 12-08-2008 01:17 PM

My son is almost 18 months and his meals go something like this:

Breakfast:
Pancakes, biscuits, bread, waffles, or muffins
and a serving of fruit

Lunch and Dinner:
Chicken nuggets (homemade or precooked), spaghetti with meat sauce (we only use ground turkey for our meals), baked bbq chicken, turkey meatloaf, turkey taco's, turkey burritos... etc (anything we eat)
a serving of veggies
a serving of fruits

Snack:
cheese cubes, crackers, dry cereal (like cheerios, or honeycomb*i know but he loves it!*) apples, well any fruit really...

and last night we had a salad with our meal, and he cried and acted like he wanted some, so I put a little bit in his bowl, and what do you know, the little nerd ate all of his salad!!! Bell peppers, cucumbers, garbonzo beans, and sliced tomatoes included!! I don't know of a baby who eats salad... lettuce...?? Oh well, just glad he loves his veggies!! lol

newbmom 12-19-2008 08:52 PM

Thanks all! My son seems to dislike meats nowadays. But he likes broccoli! I can't believe it as he ignored the chicken pieces and went for the broccoli (ok ok it was broccoli and cheese)! My husband and I are poor veggie and fruit eaters so this will force us to get some healthy stuff in the house. I have tried diced Gerber pears and regular peach slices in light syrup or pear juice to avoid as much sugar as I can. He is still on soy formula, the next step. I don't remember if I had said that earlier.
Thanks for all your information everyone!