It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2008, 09:40 AM   #1
(female)

Junebug08 HB User
Sleeping baby on his belly

Okay, so I know that it is not recommended to sleep babies on their bellies, but what do you do if that is the ONLY way your baby will sleep soundly?? My little boy is 7 weeks and has not been a very content baby since we brought him home from the hospital. He will not sleep laying down anywhere (crib, cradle, pack and play) for any more than just a few minutes. In order to get him to sleep a few minutes in the p&p, I prop him on his side. He is sleeping in his car seat at nite altho he is a very restless sleeper! The other day I layed him in the p&p on his belly just to see what he would do. He slept like a rock! I kept checking him every couple of minutes b/c I was totally paranoid to have him laying on his belly, but it worked! He has slept more soundly laying like that than he has since birth. So what do I do? I have not slept him like that at nite, only during the day when I am right here to check on him. Anyone else have any experience with this?
#2 EDD: 9/23/2010

Old 12-10-2008, 07:53 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

G8r4evr HB User
Re: Sleeping baby on his belly

You might consider getting a baby movement monitor. Odds are, your baby will be just fine, but you never can be too safe. =)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-10-2008, 08:47 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

WhiskersOnKittens HB User

You know your baby best, and know what feels right. I personally, let my ds sleep on his stomach from when he was probably about the same age as your ds (I can't remember exactly), for the same reason. He was a terrible sleeper, he never slept more than two hours or so, if we were lucky. Then one night dh put him to bed on his tummy (without telling me), and he slept for HOURS!! From that day on, he's been a tummy sleeper (and he's now 19 mo).
So, if you think that it's the right thing to do for your baby, I would go ahead.

Whiskers
Our newest bundle, Brody Anderson! - February 09'

Old 12-10-2008, 10:46 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Namibia HB User

I have the same problem my baby is 5 weeks old and has colic and the only way she goes to sleep peacefully in on her tummy, I am also paranoid and check on her every 5-10 mins. Dh and I turn her over after 30 mins or so but she then sometimes wakes up. I am so desperate to get her comfortable I do whatever I feel is best for her and us. My baby is sleeping on her tummy as I type this it was the ony way to calm her down this morning.

Charlene

Old 12-11-2008, 08:35 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

1sunny1 HB User1sunny1 HB User

Well girls, I always had both my sons sleep on their tummy, and they slept good and never had a problem, of course that was 40 years ago, and we were supposed to have babies sleep on their tummy, NOT THEIR BACK. So, go figure, that was then, now it is their back, so who knows what is right. I think if they sleep well on their tummy, let them, I am sure they will be fine. And, of course babies are all different, my little 8 month old grandson, hates being on his tummy!

Sunny

Last edited by 1sunny1; 12-11-2008 at 08:36 AM.

Old 12-11-2008, 12:31 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

WhiskersOnKittens HB User

You know, there is so much controversy over having babies sleep on their tummies, but like Sunny said, they used to tell you to put baby on their tummies to sleep because of the risk of choking on their spit up (which they do so much of in the early weeks!). Now it's put them on their backs because it supposedly reduces the risk of SIDS. So I guess no matter how you look at it, there are risks to everything.... Just do what works for you and your baby!

Whiskers
Our newest bundle, Brody Anderson! - February 09'

Old 12-11-2008, 04:44 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ol'Line Rebel HB UserOl'Line Rebel HB User

I'd agree - try the back, but if stomach makes a huge difference, why not?

I gave up a while back (not the tummy) and put blankets in the bed so at least being on the back was more comfortable - nice quilt, and a soft blanket on that for cushiness and snuggliness. Blankets are a no-no too! So I'm violating rules as it is.

Now I'm scared he'll get lots of colds because he can't have a covering blanket! It can get cold in our rooms!

Old 12-12-2008, 02:49 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Amy 333 HB User

Ds always used to sleep better on his tummy...though i was petrified of cot death and used to put him to sleep on his back. At around 3/4 months he started turning and the first thing he used to do after i put him to sleep on his back is turn on his tummy. He still sleeps that way now at 10 months,

Amy

Old 12-13-2008, 10:26 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

sg1112 HB User

my son sleeps on his stomach. he refused to sleep on his back from the time i brought him home he would just scream. i took him to the dr cuz he was having trouble eating and they said he had acid reflux and thats why he cant sleep on his back. when he lays like that the acid rises in his throat and chokes him. hes 3 months they switched him to similac alimentum formula and told me to always put him on his belly so he doesnt choke. he sleeps great now about 10-12 hrs every night

Old 12-15-2008, 11:07 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Accutane2X HB User

We were exhausted from getting up every 2 hours. Our DH would not sleep once we put her down. At first we thought she wanted to be held, but that wasn't the case. She hated being on her back. When we started letting her sleep on her tummy, she slept so well and so did we. I started out like you, letting her only do it during the day when I could watch her but eventually to night also. We started earlier than you because by the time I went back to work at 6 weeks she was sleeping on her tummy all of the time.

Closed Thread