It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2009, 06:22 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmarie313 HB User
14 month old and mid-night bottles???

DD is 14 months old and is a great sleeper. She goes to bed at about 6:30-7:00 and usually wakes about 8:00am. The past 2 weeks or so she has been waking once in the night and will not go to bed unless I give her a bottle. I have tried everything....
I always try a bottle before bed time(I know most people don't still give bottles at this age, but I have not taken it away)
I change her diaper...
tried a sippy cup of water...
rocked her a little...
just put her back in bed and waited a bit...
Nothing seems to work. She just will cry until I give her the bottle, then she goes to bed immediately, not another sound until the morning.

My pediatrician already said I am crazy for giving her a bottle in the night...I am making a monster is what she said. I just don't know what to do???? Have you had any experiences with this problem? Why all of a sudden would she be doing this?

Thanks in advance for any help/insights.
cmarie
*Olivia Grace born 10/23/07...our little miracle!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-05-2009, 09:37 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

megss HB User
Re: 14 month old and mid-night bottles???

Hi!

I disagree with your ped for one thing. My guess is that she is going through a growth spurt and needs the extra calories. My DD is almost 16 months old and has never slept through the night. She wakes up once or twice and needs a bottle. She is under weight for her height also. Her pediatrician has actually said that as long as she is eating enough, then it is okay. She does eat very well. We still do the bottle, but only at bed time or in the middle of the night. Lots of babies still use a bottle at this age, so I wouldn't worry about it to much. Hopefully she will start sleeping through the night again soon for you! I think it is just a phase...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-05-2009, 09:45 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

WhiskersOnKittens HB User

I agree with Megss--it's probably just a phase. I'd also assume that she's getting hungry again around that time (growth spurt), and just wants something that will easily fill her tummy. Hang in there. Our little ones can be so unpredictable! And do things for reasons of which only they know why, which can be so frustrating.
Oh, and what a terrible thing for her doctor to say! Sometimes I wonder why people choose the professions they do when comments like this are made..... I weaned my ds from the bottle at around 14 mo, so she's by no means "old" to have a bottle. I wouldn't worry about it. Do it when you both are ready.

Whiskers
Our newest bundle, Brody Anderson! - February 09'

Old 01-06-2009, 08:45 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmarie313 HB User

Thank you both so much for your comments...they really made me feel better I thought it may just be a little growth spurt or something...so thanks again!
cmarie

Old 01-06-2009, 10:41 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

simplyheather HB User

My nephew is 13 months and still takes the bottle at night and sometimes during the day too, but he's not great at drinking out of a sippy cup and spits it everywhere.

It was a struggle with my son to get him to take the bottle after 9 months. He wanted nothing to do with it, and I got scolded alot b/c he was only taking about 8-10 oz of formula a day (the one bottle I could get in him and then mixed with cereal). I just couldn't force it down his throat. He's happy and healthy and is just above the 50% percentile, and smart as a whip. So I think he knew what his little body needed. Like megss said, she's probably just going thru a growth spurt. Just thank your lucky stars you have a baby that sleeps so well... we all wish we were half as lucky!! haha

Old 01-06-2009, 05:11 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmarie313 HB User

SimplyHeather...thank you for posting! It really reassures me that I am doing the right thing by just giving her a bottle when she wakes up. I definitely know that I am so lucky to have a good little sleeper, but let me say that it was not always this good...Olivia was a preemie and didn't sleep well until about 12 months. She would be up anywhere from 7-11 times A NIGHT!!!!! I thought I was never going to sleep again Then all of a sudden it just clicked and here we are sleeping so much at night!!!!

Thank you again for all your help everyone!!!!
cmarie

Closed Thread