It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2009, 11:21 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

marisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB User
5 month old hasn't pooped...

my 5 month old daughter hasn't pooped in several days. she used to poop twice a day and now it has been several days since she last pooped. i wouldn't be too concerned about it, but she's been really fussy and has had horrible smelling gas over the last two days (like i really thought it was my husband who was passing gas and was completely shocked it was my sweet baby girl making that awful smell!!!).

she's breast fed and eats rice cereal pretty regularly. i try giving her other foods (applesauce, pears, squash, sweet potatoes), but she doesn't really love them as much as she likes plain rice cereal. could the rice cereal be the culprit???

should i try cooking up some prunes? that always worked for my middle child, but i don't remember what age i started with that..... what about lots of water?

Old 01-14-2009, 08:37 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

marisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB User
Re: 5 month old hasn't pooped......

has anyone experienced this at all??? she's so miserable and i don't know what i should do for her. i hate to take her to her pediatrician because he's kind of a jerk (we're in the process of switching to another doctor) and always treats me like he thinks i'm an idiot.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-14-2009, 10:29 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mom22greatkids HB User

I would stop the rice cereal and breastfeed her as much as often as she will let you. Breastmilk is much better than offering water.

Old 01-14-2009, 12:01 PM   #4
(female)

tiegs005 HB User

In the mean time so your little one can get some relief you can give the poor thing a home made enema using the bulb syringe you use to clear out her nose. The ingredients is 1 tablespoon of water, 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil and a few drops of dish soap. Mix it up, suck it into the bulb syringe and then squish it into her rectum. It works like a charm, is not dependent forming and easy to whip up in a pinch! My pediatrician recommended this to me 14 years ago for my first and I've used it occassionally on all my children with wonderful results.

Old 01-14-2009, 12:21 PM   #5
(female)

themommaoffour HB User

it happened to my son when he was being brest fed and I thought he was constipated, turned out he was underfed and dehydrated, whatever hte reason is I would certainly get the baby checked by the doctor. With babies you just never know and it can get a little scarry. BTW he was my fourth child and I thought I had all the answers, it is so scarry you just never know. Good luck

Old 01-14-2009, 01:45 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

she's definitely not underfed..... she is my fattest baby so far, and she breastfeeds every two and a half to three hours. we quit rice cereal yesterday, and i gave her some sweet potatoes for dinner.

mom22greatkids, what makes breastmilk better than water?

thanks for all the great advice!

Old 01-14-2009, 02:03 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mom22greatkids HB User
Re: 5 month old hasn't pooped...

Because breastmilk has all the water she needs, and you don't want her filling up with water. Your milk will change to meet whatever she needs.

Old 01-14-2009, 07:47 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

she pooped!!!! who ever thought i'd be so thrilled to change a nasty poopy leaky diaper??? i cut out all foods and only have been feeding her breastmilk and she finally pooped this afternoon..... twice..... yea!

thanks for all the help!

Old 01-15-2009, 05:05 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mom22greatkids HB User

Yay! Great news!

Old 01-15-2009, 11:09 AM   #10
(female)

tiegs005 HB User

I'm really happy she finally went! Just so you know, there is no problem with giving your child water instead of breast milk. Typically 5 month olds get 5 feedings a day with a volume of 5-7 ounces each time. Some kids more and some less. If your child becomes constipated and you want a quicker fix you can always give them 2-3 ounces of water with a teaspon of dark Karo syrup. This acts as a laxative and is a recommended way to help your child stool. I know alot of people feel strongly about breastfeeding, as they should, but there are other alternatives to helping things along. Just thought I'd put that out there!

Old 01-15-2009, 12:51 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mom22greatkids HB User

Breastmilk will work as a laxative better than anything else. Karo syrup could have botulism spores and should not be given to a baby.

Old 01-15-2009, 01:07 PM   #12
(female)

tiegs005 HB User

Are you kidding? Where do you get this stuff? When was the last time you heard of a botulism outbreak in Karo syrup? Please, don't make things up to scare people. I've already said breastfeading is #1, but not everyone is fortunate enough to produce breastmilk and so there HAS to be alternatives and that is a good one that is mild on a childs stomach.

Old 01-15-2009, 01:21 PM   #13
(female)

tiegs005 HB User

FYI - In a 2000 article, you stated that 1 tsp of light Karo syrup mixed with 4 oz of water would assist your infant in having a softer bowel movement. Well I did that and I gave my infant some. Now I just read that corn syrup should not be given to an infant because it may contain spores of bacteria that cause botulism that can be fatal. Now I am very nervous for my baby's health. Is there a danger for my baby?
Anonymous

Reply:
You can relax. In the past, Karo syrup did contain botulism spores, but hasn't for years now. They changed to a new manufacturing process because of just those concerns -- even though no botulism cases were ever proven to come from the spores in Karo syrup (unlike honey, which should not be used in babies). A lot of people heard the alerts about *Karo syrup in the 90's, but never heard the quieter, less flashy, changed recommendations that followed, so the warnings will still circulate around the net for years to come.

I applaud your reading a variety of sources and comparing to find the truth, and am sorry for the worry this caused. All the best to you and to your baby.

Old 01-22-2009, 01:01 PM   #14
(female)

dmarina HB User

hi,
if your baby isn't straining and doesn't have firm, pebbly poops, it's probably not constipation. it's normal for a breastfed baby to not poop for a up to a week when starting solids. it's tough for that little tummy to get adjusted. it's best not to give corn syrup or other constipation methods unless you're sure that's what she has. you should start with offering her a little more water and only breastfeeding until the problem clears up. you can also offer prune juice diluted with water.
as the pp said, breast milk does have natural laxative properties.
From Dr. Sears, "A breast fed baby does not need extra fluids until he starts eating solid foods. Even then only small amounts are offered, more for the benefit of providing learning opportunities than for hydration. Additional fluids should not replace breast milk."
while it is okay to give a baby water, there is no NUTRITIONAL content in water, as there is in breast milk.
as the other poster mentioned her baby was underfed and dehydrated, if baby is still passing plenty of urine, and gaining weight, she is most likely fine.
finally, if nothing else works, you can give a baby glycerine suppository.
hope this helps and hope your little cutie feels better!

Closed Thread