It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2009, 07:44 AM   #1
(female)

Hen0512 HB User
picc lines

where would one place a pic line in a preemie baby...(3lbs8oz),and is there any dangers or side affects to watch for?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-05-2009, 10:58 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

teach79 HB User
Re: pic lines

Hi! Both of my twin boys had a pic line. (They were 10 weeks premature weighing 3lbs. and 2lbs. 15oz.) They can go in different spots. My boys had theirs in their arms, but they are sometimes in the leg, foot or even head. The head one sounds bad, but it is just under the skin and the babies don't even know they are there. They actually tried to put one in Andrew's head, but it didn't take. There are risks, as with anything, but the benefit outweighs any risk in my opinion. The main risk is infection. However, a pic line is used in place of an IV. Due to the smallness of preemie veins, it is hard to keep an IV in for more than a couple of days. So, they use a pic line when an IV is needed for an extended period. This goes from the vein to the artery and can stay in for weeks. This way they don't have to constantly change the IV, which results in a lot of pokes for the baby!

I'm assuming that you have a little one in the NICU, so they should have tons of information you can read about pic lines and other preemie info. Speak to your neonatologist or your NICU nurse. They were always really helpful to me. Good luck!! My guys were in the NICU for 6 weeks so let me know if I can help any other way!

Teach

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-05-2009, 02:18 PM   #3
(female)

Hen0512 HB User
Re: pic lines

actually our little guy is out....he came home a week before thanksgiving. His pic line was put in his right leg (we've been told not usually put there, and not sure why they didn't try his arm...) however, this pic line caused him TWO bloodclots in his leg. One in the upper thigh and one right under his stomach by his kidney. He was released from the hospital having to receive TWO daily injections of blood thinners, which my son in law and daughter had to learn to give him. They were told he'd have to be on these blood thinners for at least three months. Each dose costing them their "co pay" of $30 per shot!! For THREE months....VERY COSTLY mistake on the hospitals part! The one blood clot in his thigh area is gone, however the one in the abdomen we've been told will never go away. No harm, blood supply has learned a new path and no blood at this time flows through it. This poor child has gone through unnecessary pain due to that pic line. This is why I've been researching to see where most pic lines were placed. He also contacted MRSA while in that nicu as did his mother. Thank you for your feedback.

Old 02-05-2009, 07:06 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

teach79 HB User
Re: picc lines

Wow! I am so sorry your little guy had to go through all of that. I'm no expert, but I was under the impression that there was a very small chance that anything could happen, and the main concern was an infection. I don't even recall them really discussing blood clots. I def. think you have every right to be concerned. I commend you for trying to figure out what went wrong. Do you know if they have spoken to any other neonatologist in the area? Just as a second opinion!

Again I am so sorry for all that has happened. I wish you the best of luck and if I can find out anything, I will let you know!

Teach

Old 02-06-2009, 06:06 AM   #5
(female)

Hen0512 HB User

thank you so much for your feedback. At this time we have our lawyers looking through our little guys paperwork from the hospital (it was CHILDREN'S Hospital if you can even beleive that). I was never so disgusted in a hospital as I was with ours! When I went up to visit my grandson in the NICU, i walked in expecting to have to put a gown on, a mask...wash /scrub up.....but NOTHING was required! People were walking in and out of that room like nothing! Father's bringing older siblings up to see their new baby, and they're coughing away..... There were many tiny little preemies laying around in their little cribs, OPEN TOPPED, so any germs coming in with all these people, could contact any one of those poor babies! I asked the nurse WHY they don't require people to cover themselves and protect those poor sweeties who have two strikes against them to begin with, but I got no response. Sickens me to think of those helpless little babies being exposed to so much unnecessarily!

Old 02-06-2009, 12:28 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

teach79 HB User

That is just terrible!!!! The NICU my boys were in was VERY strict. Only 2 people at a time could be at the bedside, hands had to be scrubbed for 2 min., only 6 people from our family could even see the boys (picked by us), they were checked when walking into the NICU waiting area, no one with even the slightest cough could come in and nobody under the age of 18 was allowed!!! My husband and I had to get our hand scanned just so we could be let in to see the boys. I am so sorry you all had to experience this. Hopefully the lawyers can take care of this and get babies that will be visiting this NICU in the future some help!

Old 02-06-2009, 01:49 PM   #7
(female)

Hen0512 HB User

that is why we are trying to get things changed. Those poor little babies don't have a chance with all those germs!! They are in for a fight from the time they are born. Why give them even more chances of being sick!

Closed Thread