It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2009, 07:22 AM   #1
(female)

misE08 HB User
Suggestions on how to get my 12mth old away from the bottle at night

My pediatrician said "NO Bottles, NO Milk" at night....he is fine with no bottle thru the day but he still wakes up one time in the night or am between 3:30 and 6:00am and I give him WATER in a SIPPY cup and he wont have it, just screams and cries, try MILK in sippy cup..NOPE, he screams and cries, so I have to eventually give in to a bottle with Milk. I have been making it less each night, 5 oz, 4.5oz. etc. down to 4oz right now and I thought if I get him use to that start making it water instead of milk and then switch to a sippy cup with water and hope it works. Anyone had or have the same issue or any suggestions? The pediatrician doesnt come home with me so she doesnt know.....I just feel cruel not giving in b/c he IS hungry and that is the only way he will take it....ugh..Thanks in advance for your help. God Bless. Missy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-27-2009, 07:33 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Seraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB User
Re: Suggestions on how to get my 12mth old away from the bottle at night

Instead of reducing the quantity, try diluting the milk gradually with water. My ds was OK with that at that age. As long as there is a bit of milk to taste, he was happy. Sera.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-27-2009, 01:38 PM   #3
(female)

misE08 HB User

thank you, I do that as well, I have been putting water and milk, and each night add more water than milk and put less ounces as well...I am hoping this will work, I just worry too much, I just need to let it happen I guess. Thank you for your suggestion. I hope it works.

Old 02-27-2009, 05:23 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

LauraLu HB UserLauraLu HB User

By the age of 12 months, a child should be getting all the calories he needs during the day. He doesn't need the bottle. I hate to agree with the pediatrician, but it's time to cut out the bottle. You're doing your son no service prolonging it.
I really don't want to sound cold, so please forgive me. I really, really feel for you because I have honestly been there. It is so tough, especially when you're dead tired and it's the middle of the night.
However, you owe it to your son and to yourself to get a full night's sleep. Can you try to give your son a sippy cup of milk and a small snack before bed? When he does wake up (and it will suck - I won't sugar coat it), don't give in. Go to him and tell him it's time for "Night nights" or whatever term you use. Don't give up!!! The first week will be rough, but you'll out last him, and he'll fall asleep eventually. He won't starve.
The more you do it, the longer it will continue. Please don't think I'm being cruel..!

Old 02-27-2009, 05:47 PM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

Seraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraLu View Post
By the age of 12 months, a child should be getting all the calories he needs during the day. He doesn't need the bottle. I hate to agree with the pediatrician, but it's time to cut out the bottle. You're doing your son no service prolonging it.
!
At this point, this whole thing is not about hunger. The bottle is part of his night-time routine, and is obviously a comfort to him. Why is everybody so desperate to remove a little baby's comfort just to conform to some arbitrary timetable? I agree that the milk should be scaled right down until it is just water. My kids, and my grandkids all had a bottle which made bedtimes a really easy time for them and us. Average time of deciding themselves to give it up = 18 months-2 years. They all have good teeth, no weight issues, good easy-going personalities, and no memories of having to scream their heads off for a bit of a suck at a bottle. When your LO is a bit older you can encourage "big guy" changes, but 12 months is a bit too young to know it is "for his own good". Sera.

Old 02-27-2009, 06:41 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

If you enjoy getting up at 3:00AM, then that's a personal choice obviously. Yes, at this point it is about comfort, routine, and this little guy has come to expect it. If one has the stamina to do it night after night, then more power to you. I however think that night time is for sleep time.

The question is how to get rid of the night time bottle, correct? My simple advice was to remove it altogether. Why bother dragging it out? I see no reason to keep a child on a bottle at night, if he has already transitioned to a sippy cup.

Last edited by LauraLu; 02-27-2009 at 06:42 PM.

Old 02-28-2009, 03:58 AM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

I understand what you are saying, but the story seems to be that the child wakes up ANYWAY for a drink. I know if I had a choice between 2 minutes to stick in a bottle or an hour of screaming, for no real reason that makes sense, my choice would be obvious. Train the kid later when you can explain it to him. I cannot understand any mother who thinks it is OK for her baby to scream himself hoarse over a minor thing like this. After all, how many kids do you see at kindy with bottles, etc. They all give it up on their own when they are ready. Sera.

Old 02-28-2009, 07:09 AM   #8
(female)

misE08 HB User
Wink Re: Suggestions on how to get my 12mth old away from the bottle at night

thank you both, this just shows that every parent does it differently and every baby accepts things different. There really is no right or wrong, I just wanted to know what others have done to get their children off the bottle at night. I think he will be fine, this week he has woken up at 4, then 6 and this morning at 7. One morning he did take to the sippy cup of milk, but then screamed when I put him back down and would not stop until he got a little bit of bottle. This morning, I gave 2ounces of milk/2ounces of water and had to give in to the bottle again, he screams, hides his face etc. to the sippy cup. I did notice he is taking the bottle different than when the bottle was all he got, so I think he is getting use to the sippy cup. It has just been 4 days I have tried and I think he is doing pretty good considering he isnt feeling well on top of it, stuffy nose, and all that comes with that. It is hard to just stop cold turkey, as if an adult doesnt have trouble doing the same. LOL. He does fine with the sippy cup through the day and I am sure in the coming weeks will be fine either sleeping until time to wake up or if he happens to be hungry in the nighttime to take the sippy cup instead. I can't just leave him in there screaming, I have tried it and trust me, he doesnt stop, he just gets louder b/c he IS hungry. I will try the snack before bed too b/c last night he had milk in a sippy before he went down and slept longer....thanks guys for your help and no, I dont consider a suggestion as rude, I did ask didnt I? so I have to take it like a big girl..haha....."this too shall pass".

Old 02-28-2009, 08:06 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

misE08 ~ That's great that your son seemed to have slept longer with the extra snack. I really hope things work for you and him. I just know how tough things can get when you're at that point in the middle of the night. We had to do the cry-it-out method with the pacifier and did not enjoy the experience at all. I definitely feel for you. Like you said, "this too shall pass." Lol.
Seraph ~ Thank you for hearing my opinion on this matter. I simply wanted to add that this is what we chose to do and it worked for us (but with the pacifier). I know others feel differently. The great thing about these boards is that everyone is free to voice their opinions. I do agree with you that babies are not given enough time to be babies. I sure do miss mine! You give wonderful advice on here, so I wanted to let you know that I respect hearing it.

Old 02-28-2009, 04:45 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

WhiskersOnKittens HB User

I just wanted to share my experience.

I too was dead set, that I was going to stop the bottle at a year, but it just didn't happen like that. My little guy actually just refused to drink from a sippy cup at all until he was 14 or 15 months, so we had no choice but to continue giving him the bottle. Anyway, the night time bottle issue--I worried and worried about getting him off a bottle at night time (because I wanted to wean him from the bottle anyway, AND because I was desperate to get a full night's sleep) and he really decided on his own that he was done with it, around 14 months. If he woke for a bottle, I would leave him for a few minutes and see if he would go back to sleep himself. He usually would, but only for an hour or so and then he'd wake up again. I just kept this up until he was eventually sleeping until a reasonable hour, and we'd just get up for the day.

I realize that some children will drag things out, and hang onto their night time bottles for as long as they can, but I think with gentle encouragement from you, he won't be on it for too much longer. Hang in there--12 months is still very young yet, he'll be fine if he ends up with it for a few extra months.

Whiskers
Our newest bundle, Brody Anderson! - February 09'

Old 02-28-2009, 09:03 PM   #11
(female)

misE08 HB User

whiskers: thanks for that, it is nice to know we arent the only ones that still give in to our child with a night time bottle. He is doing pretty good considering it has only been 4 days and he has a cold...Like I said before it has gotten later each night/morning he has gotten up, 4, the second night 6 and then 7 this morning. I can handle that, but still, he would not have the sippy cup, had to have the bottle..I went and bought a new sippy cup today that had a silicone tip on it for the night time or early am feeding. It resembles a bottle but it is a sippy cup. I will continue to dilute the milk and go down in half ounces each night and see if eventually he will not wake up until 7 or 8 every morning and when he does wake up not want the bottle. I also hope he takes to water if he gets thirsty in the night...a lot to adjust to, both of us actually. Thanks for the words of encouragement and I will let it happen in time......

Old 03-01-2009, 01:10 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

marisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB User

i think it's silly for doctors to be so adamant about cutting out the bottle by 12 months. it's not going to hurt your baby to continue taking a bottle past a year old!!! both my girls kept a bottle until they were two and a half. they started using a sippy cup for juice consistently somewhere between 9-15 months (can't remember exactly now), but with their milk, they only wanted the bottle. sure, it was probably a comfort thing, but why in the world is that wrong??? i know they got a middle of the night bottle for quite awhile past a year old.... maybe even after they were two.... again, i can't remember exactly. but my girls are 3 and 5 now and they are healthy and happy and they sleep wonderfully through the night in their own beds in their own rooms.

if you don't mind getting up with your baby for a bottle in the night, then do it and relax and enjoy that extra bit of cuddling and comfort you get to share with your baby.

Old 03-02-2009, 06:46 AM   #13
(female)

misE08 HB User

marisuela:
thank you for letting me know yet another person had the same issue and whatever you did was okay and fine for your little ones. My little baby boy is doing a lot better, yesterday he was put to bed at 10:30 and slept all the way through to 8:30 a.m.!!! Awesome, and then last night he went to bed at 8pm and woke up at 3am to take a 'drink" of milk from his sippy and went right back to bed and didnt wake up again until 8 a.m. So I think he we will do better as time goes on, I just worry about everything!!! I know it will all work out, I just can't help to worry about things. LOL Thank you for your kind words. God Bless you.

Old 03-02-2009, 08:14 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

marisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB User

i'm glad things are working better for you and your baby. sorry if my note was a bit preachy sounding.... i just get so irritated with doctors trying to make us force our babies to grow up too fast! i say let them be babies as long as they can be!!! anyway, before i go off on another tangent.... i'm glad things are better for you!

(just be prepared for more night wakings when those molars start coming through!)

Last edited by marisuela; 03-02-2009 at 08:14 AM.

Old 03-03-2009, 03:15 PM   #15
Inactive
(female)

kidsx3 HB User

The way we did it was we started putting more water than milk in middle of night bottle until after a week or so it was all water. Then we knew he was getting the nutrition he needed during the day, and we would pacify him at night but not give him a bottle any more. Then we would let him get himself back to sleep. Eventually it worked out! good luck!

Closed Thread