It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2009, 12:37 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Accutane2X HB User
Sippy Cup Question

Hi,
My DD is 12 months old. We just started at a new daycare and the daycare provider said, "we need to get her up to par. She should be walking and off the bottle." We have been weaning from the bottle slowly and giving her cow's milk, but we are not off the bottle yet. As for the walking, I can't do much about that. She will do it when she's ready, and I was rather offended by her remarks. Our pediatrician recommended we were off formula and the bottle by 12 months, but I feel like it's such a rush to make my baby grow up.

My question is, what kind of sippy cups do you use? I have been using a Nuby since she was about 6 months old. She likes it and picked up quickly how to use it. I have read that DD can become attached to them because the spout is soft like the nipple on a bottle and you may have to wean from the Nuby after you wean from the bottle. I also just picked up a Foogo (made my Thermos). It's great, but expensive. I thought with summer coming it was a good investment since it keeps liquid cold for 6 hours. It took her a little while to get the hang of drinking from it because the spout is hard and nothing like a nipple (besides the fact that you have to suck it). This is my issue. I like the fact they make the sippys so they don't spill, but isn't it defeating the purpose of getting rid of the bottle? Shouldn't I just buy a cheap sippy from the dollar store and let her drink from it and spill it. Isn't that the whole point? Or am I missing the point? Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-09-2009, 01:08 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

marisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB User
Re: Sippy Cup Question

again with people trying to force parents to take a baby's bottle away by 12 months!!! it's ridiculous!!! if you were nursing your baby, would they tell you to take the breast away by 12 months? why in the world do people think it is so necessary to wean a baby from a bottle by 12 months? there is absolutely no medical proof that this is a good thing for your baby! sure, i agree that you should introduce the sippy cup to your baby and let them use it for juice and water, but if they want their bottle, let them have their bottle! they're only babies once! and as far as walking is concerned, what does that director think you're supposed to do? wave a magic wand and *poof* suddenly baby can walk???

(i'm sorry, i just get so annoyed by people who want to force our babies to quit being babies!)

you know, i'm not really sure what the point is weaning from the bottle to a sippy cup.... especially to the soft spout cups, like the nuby cups. it does seem rather pointless, doesn't it? i've never had a problem with my kids being attached to the nuby cups. they like them, but once they got the hang of drinking from sippy cups, they never really cared what cup they got as long as they got something. i've never allowed my kids to be choosey though. as far as spilling the cup.... i assume your question is really about how do they learn not to spill? i've always made it a rule with my kids to make sure their cups are standing up when they're not in use, because most sippy cups do leak when they're laying down. it's good practice for when they have a regular cup. i have a five year old and a three year old and they still use sippy cups around the house and when we go out. they use regular cups at the dinner table, and have since they were two and we rarely ever have spills.

anyway, don't let other people make you feel like you have to rush your baby to grow up. you are her mother and you know what she is or isn't ready for! follow your instincts and you can't go wrong!

Old 03-09-2009, 05:07 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

LauraLu HB UserLauraLu HB User

We weaned our daughter from the bottle at 12 months with no problems. She transitioned very nicely to the Gerber sippy cups. They're great because they rarely leak and you can buy them insulated. Best of luck!

Old 03-09-2009, 05:18 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

jsfai HB User

Really, why do these so called 'authorities' dictate what is 'par'. ridiculous, the only authority on a child is their parents. There is no golden ruloe to say that an infant shold be walking by 12 months, they will walk when they are ready and 12 months is still young. My neice didnt walk until 18months and she is fine!
As for the bottle, yes start to wean but dont get stressed about it. The transition to a sipper cup is fine and appropriate. I used the Nuby for my kids and I think they are great. Your baby will tell you when it is time to move onto something else becouse she will start to chew and damage the spout. I took that as the sign to move onto the next thing....have you noticed, by the way, that a lot of kids drink bottles are just like baby bottles but just with a different type of teat/spout...my point being, you're the mum and a good one so do what is right for your DD and you, dont be bullied by any other so called 'authority'.
J

a beautiful girl 30.June.2003
a beautiful boy 5.January.2005
another beautiful girl 5.May.2007

Last edited by jsfai; 03-09-2009 at 05:23 PM.

Old 03-09-2009, 05:50 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

kittyroo HB User

The only medical reason that I know of for pushing the transition off the bottle is a phenomenon called "baby bottle mouth". I guess it has to do with prolonged exposure to sucking things. They tend to get cavities in the backs of their top front teeth. This was told to me by a friend who is a newly minted pediatrician and whose father is a pediatric dentist. I don't know what the official stats are on that, tho. I guess just to be safe, make sure you are wiping their mouths out with a clean, water soaked cloth before bed, or brushing their teeth with water. My son was 15 months or so before we got off the bottle all together.

Old 03-09-2009, 07:40 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

jsfai HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittyroo View Post
The only medical reason that I know of for pushing the transition off the bottle is a phenomenon called "baby bottle mouth". I guess it has to do with prolonged exposure to sucking things. They tend to get cavities in the backs of their top front teeth. This was told to me by a friend who is a newly minted pediatrician and whose father is a pediatric dentist. I don't know what the official stats are on that, tho. I guess just to be safe, make sure you are wiping their mouths out with a clean, water soaked cloth before bed, or brushing their teeth with water. My son was 15 months or so before we got off the bottle all together.
I think the key word is 'prolonged'. As a NICU/paed nurse I have watched many mums worry and torment themselves becouse of indoctrinated opinions of medical, nurse, child care etc etc 'experts'. If a child is two or three and still drinking from a baby bottle, yes that can be an issue but at twelve months and in the active transition to a sippy cup then all is fine.
If a child has teeth then they should be cleaned whether or not the baby is using a bottle. Dont make anything more stressful than it needs to be, dont make mountains out of molehills. Motherhood is a precious time and there are too many other things to worry about. mother's instinct is an important mothering tool.
J

Old 03-10-2009, 06:02 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Accutane2X HB User

Thanks guys. I feel better. I am still upset with her basically saying my child is not up to par. But, what can I do. We are working on it and at our own pace. I guess if she didn't want to deal with bottles then she shouldn't take care of babies. I feel I'm doing what's right for us. Thanks again.

Old 03-10-2009, 09:45 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

marisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsfai View Post
I think the key word is 'prolonged'. As a NICU/paed nurse I have watched many mums worry and torment themselves becouse of indoctrinated opinions of medical, nurse, child care etc etc 'experts'. If a child is two or three and still drinking from a baby bottle, yes that can be an issue but at twelve months and in the active transition to a sippy cup then all is fine.
If a child has teeth then they should be cleaned whether or not the baby is using a bottle. Dont make anything more stressful than it needs to be, dont make mountains out of molehills. Motherhood is a precious time and there are too many other things to worry about. mother's instinct is an important mothering tool.
J

it's my understanding that "baby bottle mouth" is caused when parents leave the milk or juice bottle in the crib with their babies, where they can suck on them all night (thus the "prolonged" sucking that jsfai mentioned).

both my girls drank from bottles (for milk - they used sippy cups for juice and water) until they were 2 1/2. we always brushed their teeth at night before bedtime to make sure their teeth stayed healthy. then we transitioned to a cup. their teeth are perfect and healthy, no cavities or stains or anything.... we've never had any issues at all.

personally, i think some doctor made up the "wean by 12 months" rule because too many parents were still allowing their 3 and 4 year olds to drink from a bottle and it's just easier to take something away from a baby than it is to take something away from a 3 or 4 year old.... unless you are a parent who actually will tell your child NO.... but a lot of parents just won't do that.

anyway, i'm not disagreeing with anyone here. weaning at 12 months works for a lot of people and that's great. i'm just sharing my own experience to let you know that weaning at 12 months doesn't HAVE to be the rule. you really can let your baby have the bottle for as long as you want her to have it. it's really not going to hurt her or put her developmentally behind in any way. again, go with what your mommy instincts tell you.

Old 03-10-2009, 11:49 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

AlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB User

You are the mom. Daycare is the same as babysitting and would you let a babysitter tell you what to do? Tell them it is none of their business. If you can switch from a bottle at 12 months, thats great. I did use the Nuby soft silicone. Alexa didn't like the sippy spout, so I used the straw ones. She has since switched to the stainless thermos ones like you mentioned and I highly recommend those. They last and it isn't plastic and it is great to keep liquids cool.

You are correct, she will walk when she is ready.

Old 03-10-2009, 12:57 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Accutane2X HB User

Sorry guys. I guess I should not have put so much focus on the comments that my daycare provider made and more on my actual question.....sippy cups. I was just venting because I was letting her make me feel like I did something wrong, when I know I have not.

So my real question is, should we really use a spill-proof sippy cup? I feel like I'm just making everyone (daycare and doctor) happy by switching to a sippy cup that is actually a bottle in a different shape with a different nipple. When I was a baby, they made sippy cups but they weren't spill proof. They had handles on them and they had a top with a spout. But if you tilted it up or over it would spill. This seems to make more sense to me for allowing a baby to learn to drink from a cup, because cups/glasses spill when knocked over. And you will get a lot in your mouth if you turn it up, unlike the spill-proof sippy cups.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Nuby because they don't spill (or at least not that much) and the Foogo also. But should we be using a "cup" that you have to suck like a bottle?

I'm so confused. Thanks.

Old 03-10-2009, 04:15 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

AlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB User

I think you are thinking about this too much. Basically you do what you want, period. Give your baby whatever she likes to drink out of. Try switching to something other than a bottle at this time if she will and don't stress about it. Here is what I did:

Evenflo and Avent Bottles until 12 months

Nuby soft silicone straw bottles until about age 2 - 2.5 years. I taught her how to drink from a real cup without any tops at 18 months by pouring a small amount of liquid in until she learned how to control it.

She is now going on age 3 and we use the Thermos/Foogo stainless because they are great to take on the go. If we are at the table, she uses a regular cup like we do.

Old 03-10-2009, 05:29 PM   #12
Veteran
(female)

jsfai HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accutane2X View Post
Thanks guys. I feel better. I am still upset with her basically saying my child is not up to par. But, what can I do. We are working on it and at our own pace. I guess if she didn't want to deal with bottles then she shouldn't take care of babies. I feel I'm doing what's right for us. Thanks again.
Tell her that she upset you. Her comment was judgemental and inappropriate! She had no right to say it and you have every right to be upset about it. She is employed to care for YOUR baby, not her baby and if she was better at her job then she should know that there is no such thing as 'up to par'.
You are mum and DD is your DD.

J

Closed Thread