It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2009, 02:07 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

megss HB User
Tips on Weaning off the Bottle

Grace will be 18 months on Friday, and she still has a bottle for sleep time. Part of the reason why I haven't taken her away from it yet are because 1) She still eats in the middle of the night and I have no idea how to handle that without a bottle, and 2) I haven't been up to the challenge. I am going through a major health issue.

I think it's time though and I need to do it. Does anyone have any tips to make it easier for us?

Last edited by megss; 03-10-2009 at 02:08 PM. Reason: Fixed a Sentance

Old 03-10-2009, 02:48 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

WhiskersOnKittens HB User
Re: Tips on Weaning off the Bottle

Aw, I feel for you! I found taking the bottle away from Liam was way harder on me than it was on him for a couple different reasons... It seemed like my baby was growing up so fast, and getting rid of the bottle was kind of like a "good bye" to his baby hood.

Anyway, sorry I don't have much advice for you, but I just wanted to let you know that I'm not sure there's an easy way to do it. Hopefully someone else can think of a great way... I took away his bottles one by one, and left his morning bottle for last because that was the one he was most attached to. And one day I just didn't give it to him, and gave him a sippy cup of milk instead. I tried to distract him from the fact that he wasn't getting a bottle (we played, he ate his breakfast etc.) and when he got thirsty he drank from the cup, and that was that. Of course I felt terrible, but he seemed to do alright.

I'm sure she'll be fine--kids are so resiliant!

Whiskers
Our newest bundle, Brody Anderson! - February 09'

Last edited by WhiskersOnKittens; 03-10-2009 at 02:48 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-11-2009, 07:35 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

megss HB User

Thanks Whiskers!

She hasn't had a bottle during the day for a long time, just at nap time, bed time, and in the middle of the night. Lately though she hasn't been having one for nap time so I guess that is a step in the right direction. Yesterday she asked for a "ba-ba", and I told her they were only for sleep time. I gave her a sippy cup with milk and she would not drink milk from a sippy cup. Apparently it tastes different when it comes from a cup!

I just don't know what to do for the middle of the night. I wish that child would sleep through the night already! Last night, around 5 am, she woke up and said "moma? MOMA!!!" I said "yes Grace? I am right here, what do you need?" And she said "a ba-ba." (we co-sleep). Her little voice was so cute. I am just not ready to put myself through sleepless nights because she wants a ba-ba and I wont give it to her. Maybe after I am healed from my surgery which is April 7th. I am just stressing about this so much because I do feel that she is way to old to still be taking a bottle.

Old 03-11-2009, 08:53 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

WhiskersOnKittens HB User

Aw, try not to stress about it. If it's just the one bottle (for the middle of the night), I wouldn't worry about it. Do it when you feel you have the strength!

I can relate, in a way. Liam is 22 months already, and has shown some interest (and I stress "some") in potty training, and has for a few months now. But I just had our second little boy, and I just haven't been able to commit to training him, and sticking with it! Some days I have the energy, and then some days I don't. And I really don't want to be inconsistent...

Anyway, I wouldn't worry about it--maybe if you wait a bit longer anyway, she'll be able to better understand that "big" girls don't need bottles (?).

Whiskers
Our newest bundle, Brody Anderson! - February 09'

Old 03-12-2009, 05:30 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

marisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by megss View Post
Thanks Whiskers!

She hasn't had a bottle during the day for a long time, just at nap time, bed time, and in the middle of the night. Lately though she hasn't been having one for nap time so I guess that is a step in the right direction. Yesterday she asked for a "ba-ba", and I told her they were only for sleep time. I gave her a sippy cup with milk and she would not drink milk from a sippy cup. Apparently it tastes different when it comes from a cup!

I just don't know what to do for the middle of the night. I wish that child would sleep through the night already! Last night, around 5 am, she woke up and said "moma? MOMA!!!" I said "yes Grace? I am right here, what do you need?" And she said "a ba-ba." (we co-sleep). Her little voice was so cute. I am just not ready to put myself through sleepless nights because she wants a ba-ba and I wont give it to her. Maybe after I am healed from my surgery which is April 7th. I am just stressing about this so much because I do feel that she is way to old to still be taking a bottle.
you know, unless you are just really ready to take the bottle away from her, i wouldn't worry about it right now. it sounds like you don't need the stress!!! my girls had a bottle until they were 2 1/2 and then i took them to the store and let them pick out their own special milk sippy cups and that was the end of the bottles.

it really is okay to let your little one hang on to the bottle for as long as she seems to need it. my two were the same way as your daughter. they would NOT drink milk from a sippy (until we picked out their "special" ones).

anyway, hope you have a speedy recovery and that everything works out for you!

Old 03-13-2009, 12:17 PM   #6
(female)

misE08 HB User

I had the same issues pratically that you had, check out the post for the first part of March titled "suggestions on how to get my 12 month old off of night bottles"....I was super lucky, I know you will think I am crazy but I used the farmers almanac and the day it said to try it, I did and he was off in 2-3 days/nights. I got him a sippy cup with a soft silicone nipple on it (kind of like a bottle) by munchkin and he took to it great, his juice cup is in a hard plastic spouted sippy cup so he knew the difference. At night I would be woke up and try the sippy cup of water first, if that didnt work I went to the sippy cup of milk, if that didnt work I gave in for a 4 oz bottle of milk and rocked him to sleep and he was fine...a couple days later he was sleeping all through the night, with no wake ups...I get to sleep until about 8:30 every morning...I have to say I was lucky. Goodluck. Missy

Old 03-14-2009, 06:08 PM   #7
(female)

newbmom HB User

My son is 16 months old and still gets about 4 bottles a day. Is this ok? He is on Soy 9-24 month formula and milk mixed together since we have lactose intolerance concerns. So far he is doing well with the mixture. He drinks juice/water mixture from a Gerber sippy "bottle" it is the trainer bottle. I don't think he gets how to use hard sippy cup spouts yet. Is is necessary to give two different types of cups/bottles for milk/formula and juice?

I have no idea how to start weaning at all. I am going to speak to his pediatrician on Monday. He sleeps through the night and with his 4 month old brother not on a whole sleep through the night schedule he can stick with his bottle at night if it gets me some sleep. Sleep deprivation is not a nice thing as you moms know . But I will ask the doc what he advises.

Closed Thread