It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2009, 08:57 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

WhiskersOnKittens HB User
Saline nasal spray?

Hi ladies,

My 4 week old ds has been terribly stuffed up for quite awhile now, but it hasn't been so bad that he had trouble breathing or eating, until tonight. I feel so bad for him. I remember my nephew had this problem, and my sister bought some saline nasal spray for him, and said that sometimes it seemed to work, and sometimes it didn't. Is this something I should look into? Where do you get this (like, would it be located in a pharmacy?)? And does it just loosen the mucus so his nose will run? I have no idea--I didn't have this problem with my older ds.
Thanks!

Whiskers
Our newest bundle, Brody Anderson! - February 09'

Old 03-12-2009, 07:10 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User
Re: Saline nasal spray?

When DS was in the NICU, one of the RTs showed us how to squirt saline in his nose and then suck out the boogies with a bulb syringe. The saline helps to break down the crud and make it easier to remove; however, one thing I nosed was that sometimes the regular saline spray would have a backwash affect -- some of the boogers would get sucked back into the bottle, so I was worried about germs.

We then switched to an aerosol saline spray -- simply saline was the kind we used from walmart. Much gentler spray -- a mist, so DS didn't get so stressed when we used it on him.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-12-2009, 09:58 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

teach79 HB User

My little guys constantly have a stuffed up nose. They were premature and they said that it is normal for newborns and even more frequent with preemies. The NICU nurses suggested to get Little Noses. It is a kit that has the saline drops and the bulb syringe. (It is designed for newborn babies!) IT is completely safe to use the saline drops frequently. I use them several times a day with my boys!

Good luck!

Old 03-12-2009, 01:19 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

WhiskersOnKittens HB User

Thank you for the replies!
It was getting late last night when I wrote the post, so I didn't head out to look for anything, but we're going to Wal-Mart today so I will take a look for something there.
He did manage to clear a big chunk of it out on his own last night (sorry, tmi!), but I was so glad he did because after that he could breathe much easier.
Teach--where do you find Little Noses?

Whiskers
Our newest bundle, Brody Anderson! - February 09'

Old 03-17-2009, 08:35 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

teach79 HB User

Sorry it has taken me so long to reply, but the Little Noses were at Walmart!!

Old 03-25-2009, 09:28 AM   #6
(female)

nerdo HB User

Simply Saline for babies is great. We've used it since day one. And it stays sterile use after use b/c of the packaging. Our ENT recommended it for our use b/c it has no preservatives or artificial ingredients like a lot of other nasal sprays.

Closed Thread