It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2009, 10:00 AM   #1
(female)

newbmom HB User
Screaming

I have a 17 month old son who seems to scream/squeal a great deal. Quick back story: he has a 5 month old brother and has to share the spotlight. That might be part of the story. So, that said, Ben, my 17 month old , screams when he wants something and is told no (something dangerous etc.) this is normal right? But he has been screaming/crying when I am trying to feed him lately. I know he has a tooth coming in but I have been trying to give him jarred foods so his meals are softer. He screams so piercingly that I can actually feel my eardrum move!! He also screeches and fights during diaper changes like a tasmanian devil. Is this just a stage? How do I get the screaming to stop? I get very frustrated toward days end and my husband gets frustrated immediately. So far I have told him "no", "stop it/ stop screaming" ,distracting him during diaper changes, having others feed him when they are over, placing food in his bottles and going back to formula to get some nutrients in him as he is teething. Any ideas on how long this lasts? anyone in a similar situation? any suggestions as how to get this to stop?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-20-2009, 12:26 PM   #2
(female)

kitchener12 HB User
Re: Screaming

Could your husband 'take over' the care of your eldest? For example feed him his evening meal, bathe him and tuck him into bed, change his diapers etc...my husband takes care of most (!) of the things our eldest needs including bedtime stories and cuddle time...I sort out our little one..that way he is not competing for your attention all the time...it will pass hang in there just think PATIENCE it won't last forever and you will miss ti when they grow
My youngest is quite tempremental so regarding food I feed her jarred food and cereal as well as grown up food and I follow her around spooning it in and she drinks LOTS of milk..your LOs will be fine..he won;t starve..lol

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-20-2009, 12:32 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

WhiskersOnKittens HB User
I definitely know what you mean about the screaming... It really wears on your nerves... If you come up with any solutions as to how to end the shrill, ear piercing screams let me know! My ds will be 2 next month, and he's been doing this same thing for quite awhile now. Some days it's not so bad, and some days it's ALL day long! He doesn't only do it when he's mad though. Also when he's excited, wanting attention like your lo (he also has a 2.5 mo brother), and for reasons I still can't figure out.... I can't get him to stay in a "time out", so I give him a warning, and if he continues to disobey, I put him in his room for a few minutes. This usually stops the behaviour for the time being, anyway. And it gives me a few minutes to collect myself, so I don't yell at him.
As for the diaper changes, we have JUST conqured this. He was doing the same thing as your lo, for I don't know how many months. I think he's about ready to be potty trained now, because he's being SUPER cooperative when it comes to having his diaper changed. He'll tell me he needs a change by either pointing to his bum, or getting a diaper, opening it up, and laying down on it. It's really cute! So yes, it's a stage and it will pass eventually. Hang in there!

Whiskers
Our newest bundle, Brody Anderson! - February 09'

Closed Thread