It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2009, 09:17 AM   #1
(female)

skitz600 HB User
newborn fights sleep

My 1 month old seems to be fighting sleep. I know she is tired, but she tries to stay awake all the time. She gets very fussy! Is this common and how can I help her?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-27-2009, 01:24 PM   #2
(female)

silver22 HB User
Re: newborn fights sleep

I'm having the same problem with my 7 wk old son. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I spend my whole day trying to get him to sleep: rocking, bouncing, holding, etc. As soon as I put him down, he is awake 10 mins later. Please help!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-27-2009, 06:39 PM   #3
(female)

newbmom HB User

Do they like/use pacifiers? Both of my sons didn't use them but my youngest will suck on his hand/fingers. This is also his "I am hungry" sign. He is 5 months old and seems to get angry that he wants to sleep and he's not or he is fighting it. I haven't figured it out...
Maybe you can try white noise? Like a fan or noise machine in their room? They need to learn to soothe themselves but its hard at such a young age. Are you swaddling them? That might help since they will feel all snuggled up like when they were still inside you. My older son, 17 months, will turn on his fisher-price aquarium toy in the middle of the night and look at the lights and listen to the classical music. This usually puts him back to sleep. Maybe something like that on the crib?
Do they sleep at night? or for any stretch of time?

Old 04-28-2009, 10:09 AM   #4
(female)

silver22 HB User

My ds does us a pacifier. That sometimes gets him to sleep, but other times (when I think that he is overtired) it's pretty useless. Sounds the same as your youngest, my ds gets into an angry screaming fit when I know that he is tired and wants to go to sleep but fights it. It's as if he knows that he should be sleeping, and wants to sleep, but just can't get there.

We do usually try to swaddle, but it's been 90 degrees the last few days, way to hot to swaddle. And lately, he's been getting angry when swaddled too. Kind of grunts and struggles until he "breaks free" of the blanket.

He does sleep at night, which we are thankful for. Usual schedule is that he sleeps from 7-8pm til about midnight. Gets up to feed for 30 mins, goes back to sleep until 4 am, feeds again, generally goes back to sleep until 7:30am - 8. We are pretty lucky that he's been on this schedule pretty much from 1 wk old or so. For the last week or so, his sleep times have been stretching from 8pm - 1 or 2am. I think we may be getting into a pattern change for more night sleeping, and less waking time for feedings.

I know that some babies don't need naps during the day, and if ds wasn't cranky, I wouldn't try to force sleep on him - but I know it's his tired cry. So I guess I just need to keep trying and be patient.

White noise seems like a good idea to try. Thanks!

silver

Old 04-28-2009, 09:35 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

BioAdoptMom3 HB User

OK, I can almost 100% guarantee this will work, if you are comfortable with it. Put your babies on your tummies to sleep. I know it sounds scary and is not currently recommended, but here are some things to consider and some other options which will get you and your babies better and more sleep.

1. The rates of SIDS have dropped since the back to sleep campaign began but from less than 1 in 1000 for a tummy sleeping newborn to about 1 in 1500for a back sleeper. So, there is really not a whole heck of a lot of difference.

2. Up until 1993 the recommended position for sleep was the tummy. As a parent of two of our three kids who were born during that era I can honestly tell you that though we heard about SIDS, it was still extremely rare. The American Academy of Pediatrics, though they still recommend back sleeping, has actually stated that though its safer, a baby's risk of SIDS is extremely rare no matter how he or she sleeps.

3. You can also try having your babies sleep in the carseat, with the headrest included, or in the swing. Those Fisher Price portable ones work really well for sleep.

4. You can prop your babies on their sides. This may not work quite as well as tummy sleeping, but it does usually produce better results than back sleeping.

5. If you're comfortable with it, have your babies sleep with you. That works well too.

Nancy

Old 04-28-2009, 10:45 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

WhiskersOnKittens HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BioAdoptMom3 View Post
OK, I can almost 100% guarantee this will work, if you are comfortable with it. Put your babies on your tummies to sleep. I know it sounds scary and is not currently recommended, but here are some things to consider and some other options which will get you and your babies better and more sleep.

1. The rates of SIDS have dropped since the back to sleep campaign began but from less than 1 in 1000 for a tummy sleeping newborn to about 1 in 1500for a back sleeper. So, there is really not a whole heck of a lot of difference.

2. Up until 1993 the recommended position for sleep was the tummy. As a parent of two of our three kids who were born during that era I can honestly tell you that though we heard about SIDS, it was still extremely rare. The American Academy of Pediatrics, though they still recommend back sleeping, has actually stated that though its safer, a baby's risk of SIDS is extremely rare no matter how he or she sleeps.

3. You can also try having your babies sleep in the carseat, with the headrest included, or in the swing. Those Fisher Price portable ones work really well for sleep.

4. You can prop your babies on their sides. This may not work quite as well as tummy sleeping, but it does usually produce better results than back sleeping.

5. If you're comfortable with it, have your babies sleep with you. That works well too.

Nancy

I agree with this advice! I know a lot of people aren't comfortable with it, but I have to say that both my boys are GREAT sleepers, and I attribute that to tummy sleeping. My older ds (now 2) wouldn't sleep longer than a couple hours until he was about 3 or 4 months old, when we started putting him on his tummy to sleep (my dh did it when he put him to bed one night, and I
didn't know until the next morning when he revealed to me the reason our lo had suddenly slept for 6 hours straight). With my newest lo, who's now almost 12 weeks--we've put him on his tummy ever since coming home from the hospital and he's slept for at least 4 hour stretches (most of the time) at night since then. They were also both incredibly strong with their necks and upper backs VERY young (older ds rolled over at 4 weeks, and younger ds at 5 weeks), I believe due to so much "tummy time".
So anyway, you have to be comfortable with whatever you choose to do, but this is what works for us. There are risks (however small) with however you choose to put your baby to sleep, but they have to do it!
I also just want to say I have so much sympathy for you, because I can only imagine how frustrating it must be. Have you tried using a baby carrier? Hang in there!

Whiskers
Our newest bundle, Brody Anderson! - February 09'

Closed Thread