It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2009, 01:21 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

h19 HB User
Gassy 3 week old.

I had a baby three weeks ago. She is a really good baby, and nurses very well. She does not cry, and seems quite content. Our only issue is that she seems very gassy. She does not cry, but grunts and tries to release the gas....but it does not always work. It seems like she is forever groaning and grunting.

Is there anything I can do to help relieve the pressure on her tummy?

Old 05-19-2009, 08:48 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ol'Line Rebel HB UserOl'Line Rebel HB User
Re: Gassy 3 week old.

Hi! Congratulations!

Ask your doctor about baby drops such as Little Tummies and other baby gas products. It helped me - although I don't think George was really gassy all the time, and I didn't try it until he was a little older (he had many "reflux" issues when drinking).

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-22-2009, 09:56 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

WhiskersOnKittens HB User

Congratulations on your new baby!!

There are a few things you can do that might help. How often do you burp her? Some babies do much better if they're burped mid-feed, and afterwards as well. Also, different babies like different styles of being burped--some you barely have to rub their little backs, and they give you a good one, and others like a bit more of a vigorous pat. Some like to be burped high up on the shoulder, others like to be sitting.
I don't find that it works for my little guy to bicycle his legs, but some parents swear it really helps their lo's release gas. What works well for my guy is tummy time, actually. Sometimes no matter how many different burping positions I try, he just won't, and then as soon as I lay him on his tummy, he lets a good burp out.
So, it's just a matter of trying different things to see what works best for her. And keep in mind that most babies have a hard time releasing gas in the early weeks (and months), but as their systems develop it gets much easier.

Whiskers
Our newest bundle, Brody Anderson! - February 09'

Old 05-24-2009, 04:34 AM   #4
(female)

natalie0406 HB User

Hi there! I have a 6 week old and he's incredibly gassy as well.
What seems to work well is Gripe Water - it can be found at natural/organic food stores. I put some in his bottle and I don't notice the strain as much.

Old 05-24-2009, 02:25 PM   #5
(female)

whattothink HB User

with my baby a product called "BabyCalm" worked really well. I got it from my chiropractor but you would probably find it online.

Old 05-30-2009, 02:31 PM   #6
(female)

silver22 HB User

I swear by Gripe Water, too. My DS (will be 3 mos old on Thurs) loves the taste, and it seems to work really well. We find it in the normal pharmacy/drugstore, with the other baby meds - tylenol, orajel, motrin, etc.

Old 06-06-2009, 07:41 PM   #7
(female)

newbmom HB User

congrats on your little one!

My husband ordered "Colic Calm" online. It looks like black ink but seems to help. Our son is now 7 months old and is much less gassy. Every now and then he gets bad lower intestinal gas and is howling and miserable. My husband lays him on his back, bends his legs up to his chest/stomach and pushes down on them. It looks like it should hurt but he often lets out noisy, painful gas each time his legs are pressed down. Then we try to push to the sides to move gas down and out. My mom swears by "rolling the baby" she puts the baby on a bed and rolls him over and over, then back again. We also made sure to keep our little guy upright for 10-15 minutes after meals and burping.

We also had to try several formulas before getting to Nutramigen and that seemed to help also.

I have also been told that you can steep Bay leaves in water then let the baby drink an ounce or so can help relieve gas.

Good Luck!!

Old 03-26-2010, 07:36 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

marisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB User

Are you certain it's gas? Most babies grunt and make weird noises and faces at that age and it's just baby figuring things out. If she's content and doesn't cry, I would hesitate to jump to gas, as gas usually causes tummy pains and discomfort.

BUT, if you're sure it's gas, everyone else here gave great advice about gas drops and how to burp baby better and all that..... you can't go wrong if you follow their advice! Good luck!

Oh, and congrats!

Closed Thread