It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2009, 09:34 AM   #1
(female)

Betty Bee HB User
Please help! 7 month old not sleeping throgh the night!

I breast feed my son at night (when I'm home form work) and he is bottle fed breast milk during the day at his grandmother's house. Everyone tells me, by now my 7 month old son should be sleeping through the night or at least 6-8 hours straight. It seems as though he wakes up more and more the older he gets. He use to wake up at 1am and then 4am for feedings. Now, when he wakes he has a hard time falling back to sleep and wants to be nursed or rocked every time! I work about 45 hours per week and his schedule is killing me!

Does anyone have any suggestions? I've tried the Crying it out method and it is unbearable to me! I had to do that (cio) for him to sleep in his crib at 2 months. I really don't want to put him through that again. Is there another alternative? Last night he was up 5 times! I'm exhausted and I'm just not thinking clearly. I've tried the paci, blanket, stuffed dog, rubbing forehead--sometimes it works but usually not--it seems the only thing that works is the breast!! Help!

Old 05-26-2009, 12:46 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

marisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB User
Re: Please help! 7 month old not sleeping throgh the night!

How much is he eating during the day? Is he eating food??? It could be that he isn't eating enough during the day.

It could also be that he is just one of those babies that needs to eat at night. My oldest ate every 3 hours like clockwork.... no matter what time of day it was! I fed her a couple of times at night all the way up to a year old! My second took one bottle in the middle of the night as well. My third child, my almost 10 month old, is my only baby that sleeps through the night. She has been since she was 3 months old! She occasionally wakes up to eat, but that only happens if she missed a bottle during the day, which is what makes me wonder if your baby is getting enough to eat?

He could also be cutting teeth, so be on the lookout for signs of teething! Ibuprofen works wonders there.....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-26-2009, 01:12 PM   #3
(female)

Betty Bee HB User

He gets about 16 ounces of breast milk in his bottle during the day--then i breast feed him at least twice before his 9 pm bed time, then he eats 2-3 times during the night-but it's minimal. He eats 3 solid meals per day--usually 2 tbsp of veggies and 2 tbsp of fruit for lunch, breakfast is a tbsp of cereal with 2 tbsp of fruit--dinner is usually a protein veggie and cereal again. Is that enough? He isn't cutting teeth yet--I check every other day. He naps 2 hours or less during the day. I don't have him on a rigid schedule--I'm okay with him going to bed a little before 9 or after 9--It's not exact. Same with his solids. I feed him based on when he took his last bottle. Should I put him on more of a schedule?

Last edited by Betty Bee; 05-26-2009 at 01:14 PM.

Old 05-26-2009, 08:33 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

marisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB User

By 7 months, I think my baby was eating a number 2 jar at breakfast and a number 2 jar at dinner. Occasionally I mixed cereal with her jars, but not often because she never seemed to need it. As far as her bottles went.... she was drinking between 4-5 ounces at a time.... lets see.... she nursed first thing in the morning, around 6, then a bottle at 9, 12, 3, 6, and 9.... something like that.... depended on what time she actually woke up.... but she usually ate every three hours. So doing the math, she would drink between 20-25 ounces a day. And she's been sleeping through the night since 3 months old.

All babies are different. My oldest took 8 ounces at a time by 7 months, eating every 3-4 hours, plus she was eating 3 number two jars a day, AND she still ate in the middle of the night! My middle child barely could finish 4 ounces at a time, ate every 4 hours, would barely finish two number one jars.... and she also ate in the middle of the night.

I would try feeding him more. If you absolutely can't pump any more than what you are doing (and I do know it's hard!), you might try adding formula too. You might also try giving him more food, although I've found with my baby, that if she misses a jar of food during the day, she still usually sleeps through the night, but if she misses a bottle, she's up and won't go back to sleep without one (sometimes it takes me forever to figure that out in the middle of the night too!).

Hope this helps!

Old 05-27-2009, 06:48 AM   #5
(female)

Betty Bee HB User

did you nurse her just in the morning at the 6 am feeding? Or at night too?

Old 05-27-2009, 08:36 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ol'Line Rebel HB UserOl'Line Rebel HB User

May I suggest something?

I myself did the Ferberizing (semi-CIO). Ferber wrote that we all become creatures of habit - the body learns that it's supposed to feel hungry at certain times, etc.

A 7mo should be capable of not needing feeding in the middle of the night.

Since babies start out needing feeding in the night, and most of us acquiesce to the bottle (or breast) to get them to sleep, they can get in the habit of doing so even when they're old enough not to need it. The body gets in rhythm and thinks it should be fed at certain times.

Reading Ferber, he knew this is a common problem of having babies sleep through the night (and sometimes, the ONLY problem). So it's 1 of the "separate issues" he said should be dealt with before even trying the "CIO" part of it (when nothing else is stopping him from sleeping). I myself had to "wean" George off mid-night feedings. In my case, mostly breast. Also some bottle.

Ferber said to time the feedings if it's breast, and simply cut down by e.g. 5 min increments over several days. For bottle, cutting down the amount offered by an ounce or so. So, I went from 15 min to about 12 for a few days, then to 10, then to 7, etc. Until I was just rocking him a bit. It could take up to 2 weeks if you want.

Try that out. Then if he still awakens you can try a more serious effort, but don't go back to feeding him.

Old 05-27-2009, 09:40 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betty Bee View Post
did you nurse her just in the morning at the 6 am feeding? Or at night too?

I started taking medication that she can't have, so I would nurse her around 6 in the morning, then take the medicine and not nurse her again that day. Oh, I might not have been clear about the bottles either.... she nursed first thing, and then had formula in her bottles the rest of the day.

I would definitely recommend the method Ol'Line Rebel is suggesting. It's a really effective way to help baby sleep through the night. But do make sure he's getting enough to eat during the day too. You might ask your doctor for some guidelines as to how much an average 7 month old should be getting, and go from there....

Old 05-27-2009, 09:56 AM   #8
(female)

Betty Bee HB User

Thanks to you both. Another question...You mentioned you breast fed in the morning and formula fed throughout the day, Did your milk supply run out quickly or did your body just adjust to feeding at the same time every morning and supplied you with just enough foir the feeding? I was under the impression if you didn't pump eevery 4 hours during the day--your milk would dry up???

Old 05-27-2009, 11:04 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

My supply adjusted with when I was feeding my baby. I breast fed her almost exclusively for her first 5 months, only giving bottles every once in a blue moon, when she was really starving and we were out where breast feeding just wasn't possible. I started weaning her down slowly between 5-6 months. I would give formula once or twice a day and then three times a day.... up until I was only nursing morning and night. After I started taking the medicine, I cut back to only nursing in the morning. I actually just quit the morning nursing a couple of weeks ago, because she started cutting her first top tooth (and already had two bottom teeth) and she bit me.... I don't love being bitten, so we called it quits right there!

Okay, so there were also a couple of other factors that helped me decide to quit.... one was that I could never get her back to her own bed after that morning nursing (she was too cuddly!), so when my other kids woke up around 7:30, they'd always wake her up.... in her own bed, she'd sleep until 9! And I was never comfortable nursing after I started taking the medicine, because I was still afraid that it would still transfer into the breast milk. So I quit. Had I not been so worried about the medicine, I probably would've kept going with it (even inspite of the teeth)....

Sorry, that was a long rambling way to say, nope, my supply didn't dry up at all! If you do plan on cutting it down to just morning and night feedings, I would definitely recommend a slow transition!!! With my first two, I quit cold turkey each time, and the engorgement pain was AWFUL! Weaning slowly is definitely a smarter way to do it!

Old 05-29-2009, 07:35 AM   #10
(female)

Betty Bee HB User

Thank you!

Old 05-29-2009, 10:12 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

I don't know if I mentioned this or not, but my baby is 10 months old now. So I nursed her only in the mornings for about 2 1/2 months before we quit altogether.

Closed Thread