It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2009, 04:19 AM   #1
(female)

Maritzaveeden HB User
Screaming Baby at night

Hi There

I have a 11 old month baby girl that is waking up screaming at midnight for the past week now. I've tried feeding her, changing the nappy and more. The thing is she is extremely busy during the day and at night there is no problems. But when so goes to sleep not even a hour later she begins to scream and is not even awake. It start of like a normal cry but when i take her to calm her she begin to scream badly. Sometimes i dont even get her to calm down, so she keeps on screaming and crying till she falls asleep after an hour by herself.
I've notice that for a couple of months now she is fighting against her sleep. So i really dont know what to do know cause the doctor is keeping on giving me natural drops for sleeplessness. Can you help me with advice.

Old 06-09-2009, 09:15 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

kittyroo HB User
Re: Screaming Baby at night

At that age, my first guess would be teeth. Eyeteeth and molars are probably breaking through. It's tough to get a look in there, but give it a try. Are her gums all puffy and kind of white-ish in the back of her mouth? Those would be the molars and in our case, they took FOREVER to break through. We had Tylenol days and Motrin nights around here until they finally did.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-09-2009, 09:36 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

fruitloop1024 HB User

It sounds like night terrors to me. My nephew had them bad. All my sister could do was let him scream. There is no way to comfort them.

Old 06-09-2009, 02:53 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

WhiskersOnKittens HB User

It could be many different things. It's so hard to know what's bothering our lo's when they can't tell you.
My ds went through many different phases of sleep (sometimes he'd sleep for 12 hours straight at night--no problems at all, and sometimes he'd wake up after an hour crying bloody murder, and then fall back to sleep like nothing had happened), and most of the time I didn't know what was bothering him. All you can really do is comfort them, and know that this will pass. Hang in there, you're doing a good job!

Whiskers
Our newest bundle, Brody Anderson! - February 09'

Old 07-24-2009, 11:33 AM   #5
(female)

nerdo HB User

sounds like teething to me. when a child is busy playing during the day, he/she doesn't realize as much that they are teething. at night, when still and quiet, they notice the pain more. i'd give tylenol at bedtime and see if that works.

my 12mo old did the same thing two nights ago...was crying in his sleep. and he's definitely getting at least one more tooth. i can see it coming in.

Old 07-25-2009, 07:08 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

gardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB User

It does sound like teething. When lying down the teeth that are trying to come in hurts worse. Thats why babys are so fussy at night when they are teething. try giving her tylenol or motrin at bed time. if it continues I would have her doc check her over for any problems.

Old 08-06-2009, 09:01 AM   #7
(female)

Betty Bee HB User

My 9 month old has the same behavior. I put him down around 7:30-8pm and he is up 3 hours later standing in his crib crying. When I console him without picking him up he screams harder, then when I pick him up to cuddle him he stops for a minute only to start crying again. The only thing that calms him is the breast or bottle. Most of the time when he wakes he is standing in his crib with his eyes closed...poor thing. I know he is so tired but he just can't go to sleep on his own. I think he is teething as well. He has only his bottom 2 teeth now. I'm wondering which ones will come in next--I think the top 2? The crying has been going on for over 3 weeks and I'm begininning to wonder if the teething process takes this long? I don't see any sign of teeth however I do see a big change in the shape of his gums. Almost like you can see the teeth forming underneath! Then again, he was never a great sleeper and he doesn't know how to fall asleep on his own.

My frined thought it was night terrors as well, but I think he's too young for them> Thought is was mainly seen in toddlers.

Old 08-06-2009, 10:01 AM   #8
(female)

kitchener12 HB User
Smile Re: Screaming Baby at night

it does sound like teething, try some baby tylenol at bedtime see if that helps, it can take the edge off the pain, I didnt like giving my LO tylenol but after thinking about the pain and lack of sleep (her and the rest of us!) I tried it, not every night but if she was distressed. YOu can talk to your Dr if you are worried.
They have heard everything...lol
Best wishes

Old 08-06-2009, 10:37 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

marisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB User

Definitely sounds like teething. My daughter is a year old (barely) and just went through this too. I made sure she had plenty of teethers and harder foods (teething biscuits, frozen peas, cheerios, etc...) to chew on during the day, motrin at bedtime, and I gave her a small travel pillow to sleep on. Worked wonders!

In case it might be night terrors.... those are generally caused by baby being overtired. To prevent night terrors, make sure baby is on a schedule with a good regular nap during the day, and make sure to put baby to bed at a decent hour (between 7-8 is a good time for an 11 month old).

Closed Thread