It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2009, 09:37 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

marisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB User
ear infections.....

My baby is 10 months old and for the first time ever, she has an ear infection. In fact, it's a double ear infection. My other two kids never had ear infections, but my niece had them all the time, and before her, a little girl that used to live with my had them all the time too. So where I'm not completely inexperienced, I haven't been through it with my own kids, you know? So I have a couple of questions....

With my niece and the other little girl, they started getting ear infections pretty much from day 1. Is it normal to not get a first ear infection until 10 months? I read somewhere that the older a child is, the worse the infection can be, but the less likely it will be a recurring thing. Is that true???

When I'm giving her a bath, and I'm rinsing her hair, is it okay if the water runs into her ears a bit, or should I not wash her hair at all until she's over the ear infection (it's not swimmer's ear)?

What can I feed her to avoid the adverse affects of the antibiotic she is on (I've heard that antibiotics can cause diarrhea, nausea, and other such fun)?

What can I do for her poor little nose? It's all chapped and raw from being so horribly snotty and disgusting! I put vaseline on it, but is there anything else I can do?

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Old 06-14-2009, 09:21 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

BioAdoptMom3 HB User
Re: ear infections.....

It is impossible to predict the amount of or severity of ear infections based on the age they first appear, but I would guess that if it took her this long to get one, she will probably have less of them that if she had started sooner. You can put a little vaseline on her nose. It should be soothing for her. Do not worry about the water in her ears. It doesn't go into the middle ear. Our kids have even gone swimming with ear infections as long as they felt up to it. For the antibiotics, just give it time and see if any problems develop. If they do, I would just call the ped or a pharmacist and ask for advice. Our DD had a total of 36 in less than 3 years and with the exception of two of the antibiotics, never had a problem while on any of them.

Hope she feels better soon!

Nancy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-14-2009, 09:46 PM   #3
(female)

Mini one HB User
Re: ear infections.....

Most likely, just use antibiotics. If you don't, the infection could get worse. And try to avoid getting water in the ears, that will only help the infection. Until a while after the pain and redness is gone, it should be fine. Until then, avoid getting water in the ears as much as possible. Try to keep the nose clean, you're doing a great job already. Keep it up.

Closed Thread