It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2009, 08:03 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

ament HB User
Need some serious sleep advice...

My daughter is 4 1/2 months old and is a terrible sleeper. She usually wakes every 1 & 1/2 to 2 hours. Sometimes she will sleep three hours straight. She still has to be swaddled and wakes instantly when I try to put her in her crib unswaddled. I nurse her until she falls asleep. I am aware this is a bad habit to start but her father has tried rocking her to sleep at night and while she falls asleep in his arms she wakes up shortly after he places her in her bed. Around 4 or 5 in the morning I am so tired I usually put her in her swing to sleep 2-3 hours. I don't do more than that because I don't want to start that bad habit as well.

Sometimes during the night when she wakes and I feed her she remains wide awake and will not go back to sleep. She is not fussy during this time but smiles, coos, and just wants to be held. When I put her down she begins to cry.

She naps okay during the day and usually take 2 45 min to 1 hour naps and sometimes she'll take 3.

I honestly don't know where to start. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by ament; 06-14-2009 at 08:08 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-14-2009, 10:10 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

BioAdoptMom3 HB User
Re: Need some serious sleep advice...

Try unswaddling her and placing her to sleep on her tummy. We found after having two in the tummy sleeping era and one after back to sleep that most babies just do not sleep very well or for very long flat on their backs. She should be rolling over on her own soon anyway. If it makes you nervous, consider that the SIDS rates for newborn tummy sleepers are a little less than 1 in 1000 and for newborn back sleepers, about 1 in 1500.

Nancy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-15-2009, 04:53 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

fruitloop1024 HB User
Re: Need some serious sleep advice...

Is she getting enough to eat? I always pumped then bottle fed and DS started sleeping 6-7 hours a night at 7 weeks. I had to stop giving breastmilk and using formula, and there was no change in his sleeping. I would see what would happen if you offered her a bottle as opposed to the breast. My little guy still falls asleep to the bottle, and I dont care if it is bad for him. Its what he likes, and I wont change that. Also, I still swaddle him. He wants his arms out, but he likes the feeling of being wrapped up. Does she get a binki to sleep with? Mine did not for a while, then the dr suggested trying it when he was going thru his 4 mnth sleep regression. It helps some....Wait, has she always been a bad sleeper or is it getting worse. Around 4mnths they go thru a sleep regression. I had to look it up, and my dr had no idea about it, but I found some of the info I read very interesting. Also, it sounds like she is not sleeping enough during the day. I hope this helps a little.

Last edited by moderator2; 06-15-2009 at 06:13 PM. Reason: posted disallowed website(s) - please read the posting rules

Closed Thread