It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2009, 07:42 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Accutane2X HB User
Immunizations

Hi,
Are any of you following an alternative immunization schedule?

My DD has gotten all of her scheduled shots up until she turned 1. At her 12 month well-check, I asked if we could hold off on the MMR. Dr said we could do it at her 15 Month well-check. When we got there last week for that visit, Dr said we could hold off until daycare noticed that we didn't have it yet. So we are waiting. What are your opinions? Thanks.

Old 07-06-2009, 12:27 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

amelu HB User
Re: Immunizations

my girls turned are 13 months July 2, and they have received all vaccines as scheduled except I pushed chicken pox until 15 months. at their 1 year well visit they were supposed to get MMR and Chicken Pox and we just did MMR so I could see if they had any reactions to it. Other than being a little fussy and a mild fever (99-100ish) they were both fine. I would have held off if my girls weren't above the 50th percentile for weight.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-06-2009, 05:43 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

kittyroo HB User

When my son was four months old, we started with one shot a month. He is now 22 months and all caught up except for the MMR, Hep B and chicken pox. Hep b and chicken pox can wait till much later ( in my opinion ), but we will get the MMR at some point soon, I think. I may make them split it into three shots. A real pain, but so far, this has worked beautifully for us.

We have been able to avoid daycare thus far by working split shifts between us, so we have had the luxury of taking our time with these major decisions. Good luck with your choice.

Last edited by kittyroo; 07-06-2009 at 05:43 PM.

Old 07-07-2009, 08:55 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Accutane2X HB User

Thanks for the replies.

Just wondering, if I may ask, why did you hold off on the chicken pox vaccine? I understand the Hep B, I've read about that. What are the risks as far as the Chicken Pox goes?

My DD is in the 90th Percentile for height and weight. I am thinking about waiting until she is 18 months to get the MMR if I can squeak thru daycare that long.

Old 07-08-2009, 07:37 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

amelu HB User

I held off on chicken pox for two reasons: I wanted to see if they had any reactions to the MMR and if they had both vaccines I wouldn't know which one they were reacting to, and 2. their exposure to chicken pox in relatively low, they are home with me all day, and even if they did get it, its not life threatening just a pain.

Old 07-08-2009, 09:49 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

kittyroo HB User

Ditto Amelu. Don't feel like chicken pox is all that pressing. Hep B we'll get prior to when he's actually at risk for it. I didn't get that shot for myself until I started getting tattooed in my 20's. MMR we will get soon-ish, I think. I believe they really should have that one earlier rather than later.

Old 07-09-2009, 05:59 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Accutane2X HB User

I think most hospitals in the US give the Hep B shot after birth. Not sure about all states, but most do I believe. I heard it's because of all the homeless and non-citizens giving birth here that they decided it was necessary. If I had known about it, I would have elected to not get it (if you can even do that). But it's too late now.

I am linking the MMR to autism and from what I've read, put it off as long as possible. I looked at my records as a child, and I didn't get the MMR until 18 months (I was born in 1977). So I'm going to try for that unless my daycare gets upset before then. But one alternative schedule I read recommends waiting until 2 yrs to get the MMR. And even getting it in 3 shots.

Such hard decisions!

Old 07-13-2009, 07:38 PM   #8
(female)

zmanzelli HB User

You can opt out of the Hep B shot in the hospital - you just sign a paper.

One of the main things you needs to look for in the MMR is the thimarose (I believe that is how you spell it) - you want to make sure when you do get the MMR, it is the one without that and don't let them say they don't make it without because they do!

Old 07-15-2009, 07:59 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Accutane2X HB User

Thanks for the replies!

Closed Thread