It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2009, 05:37 PM   #1
(female)

megn81 HB User
Question about baby's and BPA?

My son is a year old and he loves fruits and veggies that he can pick up and feed himself. Well, I've found at Walmart convenient one serving plastic containers of all different sorts already cooked and ready to serve. Should I worry about BPA being leached into them from these sorts of containers? Also, what about feeding him too much canned fruits and vegetables? I worry a lot about the effects of BPA. Thanks to anyone who knows!

Old 07-26-2009, 01:30 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

WhiskersOnKittens HB User
Re: Question about baby's and BPA?

I don't know too much about BPA, but I recall hearing something about it depending on the type of container, how much is potentially in it. A completely clear plastic container is going to have higher amounts, than a cloudy plastic one. Also, when this was big news awhile back with the baby bottles, I read something about the bpa being leeched into the milk or formula in greater amounts during the heating process.
I don't think you should worry about feeding him too many canned fruits and veggies (although some cans also have tested positive for BPA)--it's great that he loves them so much! However, anything pre-made has so many less nutrients than something fresh, or that you steam or bake yourself. Is it possible for you to make big batches of baked or steamed veggies or fruit (if they're too hard to eat raw), and freeze them for future use? He'll get a lot more out of them (nutritionally), and they'll probably taste a lot beter too. Also, then you can find BPA free containers, and you won't have that to worry about.
Our newest bundle, Brody Anderson! - February 09'

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-31-2009, 08:05 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Accutane2X HB User
Re: Question about baby's and BPA?

Hi,
I also use the carrots, peas and string beans in the plastic containers from Walmart. I empty the container onto a glass plate to warm them. If we are out, I only take the carrots with us. My DD will eat them cold. I just pour the water off and she loves them. So glad I found these, as the Gerber and other baby brands were breaking me!

Closed Thread