It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2009, 10:48 PM   #1
(female)

cassandrasmommy HB User
How long to Vaseline Penis?

My son is 2 days old. Penis was circumcised yesterday. The doc said to coat the tip in Vaseline for a couple of days. But would it be wrong to do it for a few extra days just to be sure it doesn't stick to his diaper? Or would that keep it from healing? I just don't want to think that it's healed enough, then when I don't Vaseline it- have it stick and possibly tear. She also said I could bathe him after 24 hours, but my husband won't let me for another day. Everything looks normal. It looks like a normal penis (circumcised), but it is as red as Rudolph's nose at the tip. I'm thinking of just waiting for the color to turn normal to stop putting the vaseline on it. What does everyone else think, or what have you done personally? Thank you for your input.
DD-12/12/05
DS-8/7/09

Old 08-09-2009, 11:29 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

AnnD HB UserAnnD HB User
Re: How long to Vaseline Penis?

Whatever you decide with the Vaseline is okay and waiting to bathe him is fine too as long as you keep his bottom washed up with a nice warm wash cloth every day...or at least run some warm water over his lower part to at least wash off the old pee...that too can irritate the tip of penis. Baby will survive it all. Congrats on the new baby!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-10-2009, 11:50 AM   #3
(female)

nerdo HB User

we put neosporin on my son's penis for at least a week afterward. and it was a large glob of it--about the size of a hershey's kiss.

once it's healed, make sure to push the rim back (during baths is convenient) so that it doesn't adhere. that can happen very easily. it's easy to stress over but you'll do fine!

Old 08-11-2009, 10:02 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

kittyroo HB User

I agree. Lube it up until it's not pink and irritated anymore. It'll be so different when it's healed up, you'll know. Also what the previous poster said is very true. Be sure (after he's totally healed up) to retract that skin when diaper changing. It adheres so easily!!! It's called "penile adhesion". Do a search on it and read a little. It can all be avoided by retraction and cleaning during diaper changes.

My son was 4 months when that happened to us. I had no idea. The MD fixed it and believe me, THAT was no fun. He just peeled it back like a banana and boy did my baby boy SCREAM. My father and husband were appalled. I was just mortified at what my little guy had to go through. Just be vigilant and you will avoid this.

Closed Thread