It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2009, 05:05 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Accutane2X HB User
What does your toddler eat?

Hi, first I want to say how much these boards have helped me over time. I was on the TTC Board, then the Pregnancy Board, and now I'm almost out of time on this board as my DD will be 18 Months next month.

My question is, what do you fix for your toddler to eat? I want some variety and some ideas.

Here's what my DD eats:
blueberry pancakes, scrambled eggs, toast, cheerios, bananas, chef boy r dee canned foods, grilled cheese, chicken nuggets, french fries, string beans, carrots, gerber fruit cups, strawberries, peaches, pears, mac-n-cheese, mashed potatoes, diced potatoes, cheese and crackers, fruit bars, beechnut cookies, gerber puffs, Goldfish and that's basically it. Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated. Also, I used to send a week's worth of food to daycare at the beginning of the week but my daycare mom wants me to start packing a daily lunch in a lunchbox. What do you pack for you LOs? Thanks for your help.

Old 08-17-2009, 07:23 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

marisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB User
Re: What does your toddler eat?

My kids aren't in daycare, but when my older two girls were that age, they ate mostly sandwiches at lunch. They loved tuna sandwiches, honey and butter sandwiches (I couldn't do p'nut butter because I am highly allergic and was afraid it might have passed onto them....), and meat and cheese sandwiches. I also would give them something fruity like mandarin oranges, craisins/raisins, half a banana, applesauce or something like that, and if they still seemed like they wanted something else, I'd give them a few goldfish.

For something different you could do vienna sausages (2 or 3) or chicken nuggets and a string cheese instead of a sandwich.

I wouldn't worry about doing anything too fancy for daycare meals, because it just makes it that much harder on the caregiver (I worked in daycare for 11 years). Your daughter isn't going to care if it's the same thing every day.... at that age, they're just happy to be eating! And so much happens between lunch today and lunch tomorrow, that she wouldn't know the difference anyway. Hope this helps!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-18-2009, 04:29 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Accutane2X HB User

Thanks, I will have to try the vienna sausages. My DD will not eat any lunch meat. She's not a big meat eater anyway, but all lunch meat (bolonga, ham, turkey, chicken) goes in and is immediately spit back out. Even if I try to disguise it with cheese! She has just recently decided she likes hot dogs, but I'm afraid to send that to daycare. I'm paranoid I guess, but I peel the "skin" off and cut up in very small pieces so she won't choke. Hot dogs, grapes, peanutbutter and raisins were on the latest "do not feed your child" list from her doctor. Thanks for the help!

Old 08-18-2009, 09:05 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

marisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB User

Huh.... interesting that raisins are on the list.... is there an explanation for why? I would imagine hot dogs and grapes are on the list because a lot of parents only slice them into round bits, perfect for choking! If you cut the hot dogs down the middle into fourths, and then dice them, you really don't have to worry about the skins.... especially given your baby's age. I do that with the vienna sausages too! With grapes, I cut them into fourths and my baby will eat them and somehow manage to spit out just the skins!

What my doctor said was that as long as I cut up the foods into bite sized pieces, she can eat pretty much whatever I give her.... and my daughter is just barely 12 months old! Today I gave her a cheese roll-up from Taco Bell (I just tore it up into bite sized pieces) and she LOVED it!!! I think the opinion varies from doctor to doctor and you just have to take it all with a grain of salt and trust your Mommy instincts!

A few other things my daughter loves are frozen peas (barely defrosted), corn, freeze dried fruits, tortillas, beans (kidney, pinto, and black), any bread products (we had bread pudding tonight and that was a huge hit!).....

Oh, and if you're worried about it, you can always cut up the hotdogs or vienna sausages before sending them to daycare. Just get a few cheap plastic containers (I actually used to save my yogurt cups--the ones that came with lids--and would use them for snack cups and such! They were perfect because I never cared if they got lost!) and send the food already prepared.

Old 08-23-2009, 08:29 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ol'Line Rebel HB UserOl'Line Rebel HB User

Raisins seem like a perfect choker to me. They're tough, and just small yet large enough to be a problem when they don't understand how to chew them.

Hot dogs aren't a problem for George; I have cut them into 1/4 slices to ensure he doesn't really choke - AND doesn't reject them as a result.

George is very picky, too. I am making a list of things he'll eat (caveat: not every time). Obviously hot dogs, but also:

hard-boiled eggs
salad (w/dressing)
steak
pork
chicken
bananas
Cheerios
any kid cereal (i.e., Mommy's cereal)
bread - bread - bread
crackers-crackers-crackers
French fries (NEVER fails - and don't put yours for him to see)
chicken nuggets
pizza (hasn't failed to eat it yet - ANY kind, and we vary all frozen & restaurant brands and homemade)
peanut-butter sandwich
grilled-cheese sandwich
pretzels
Mrs. Budd's pot pies (EVERYTHING in them)
Stouffer's Easy Skillets (EVERYTHING in them) (formerly Skillet Sensations)

I don't think I covered everything, but it's close. He's still hard because he won't simply eat what I and Daddy eat.

Closed Thread