It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2009, 08:19 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ol'Line Rebel HB UserOl'Line Rebel HB User
can't post soon (18mo!) - again, NAPPING

Hi, I won't be able to post much longer here about my boy George, as he's approaching 18 mos! LOL

Anyway, George still seems to prefer 2 naps a day - although, they have both simply shifted forward, rather than "merging together" to 1.

I've simply put him down later and let him sleep (if he wants) up to 2 hrs. Besides the time of day, I've seen little change. He'll go to sleep in the next 1/2 hr and maybe sleep up to 2. And lately I've seen little shifting from my 11 and 4 nap-times.

Should I continue to see if he wants to start sleeping at those times, and go only by what he indicates, or should I force the issue and make him wait for 1 nap after lunch?

Old 08-29-2009, 07:14 AM   #2
(female)

Cookiem26 HB User
Re: can't post soon (18mo!) - again, NAPPING

What time does your son go to bed at night? Most kids probably take only 1 nap at this age but that doesn't mean you shouldn't continue to let him take 2 if he wants, especially if you are home with him and you have no problem with it. My youngest who is almost 14 months takes 2 naps but sometimes can make it with only one if we are out for some reason in the morning and we don't get back until later for her to take a nap. In a few weeks we are going to start her in daycare twice a week and they only take 1 nap there so she may naturally start to move to 1 anyway, but it is only 2 days a week so maybe not. I asked about your son't bedtime because you said your son goes down at 4? I always make sure my daughter sleeps no later than 4 because her bedtime is 7:30 or 8. maybe if you are wanting him to take 1 nap you let him sleep at 12-2? or something and then put him to bed earlier? But again, if he is happy and you are happy and he doesn't NEED to only have 1 nap, don't worry about it. You'll know when he only needs 1. It'll happen eventually

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-29-2009, 11:15 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ol'Line Rebel HB UserOl'Line Rebel HB User

Hi, thanks for replying.

George goes to bed at 9:30. He sleeps essentially 9-9.5 hrs. I will not let him nap beyond 6 (partly for the bedtime, but also because of dinner), period.

My only other guess is that he'd only nap less if we tried to have him overnight more (in the past he definitely indicated he does not need all that straight sleep). I guess I could try incrementing his overnite to see what his limits are these days.

But all that is why it's so complex to me. I know that as well as changing/shrinking naps, toddlers (etc) are supposed to be growing in length of overnite. But it's like the chicken-egg thing: which comes 1st?

Old 08-29-2009, 08:28 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

marisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB User

It's possible that George would sleep longer at night if you put him to bed earlier. I know it doesn't make sense, and I scoffed at the idea when it was first presented to me, but after I got desperate to the point of "I'll try anything," I tried it with my first and sure enough, she started sleeping almost two hours later!

I used to let my first stay up until 9:30 or 10, and she'd wake up bright and early between 6-6:30 every single morning. And then she was cranky and tired after just a couple of hours and we were doing two naps a day. After I moved her bedtime up to 7:30-8, she started sleeping in until 8-8:30, and it was easy to change her napping to one a day after lunch.

The way I understand it, there is a window of opportunity when you can put your baby to bed, and if you miss that window your baby's adrenaline kicks in and he hits hyperdrive and will be up for a couple of hours longer.... and then their sleep isn't as restful because they are overtired.

Anyway, it might be worth it to move George's bedtime up a couple of hours and see what happens.

Closed Thread