It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2009, 07:17 AM   #1
(female)

Murray67980 HB User
Newborn Questions

Hi everyone!
I have to keep this short because I hear my little guy fussing, but I have 2 quick questions for those experienced parents out there...

1- My son is 5 weeks old and I haven't really taken him anywhere except to people's homes (family). This weekend I would love to go to a fall festival near my home with him, as I am suffering from cabin fever big time. We would go during the day of course, and its all outdoors so no germs trapped inside... Do you think this is ok, or will people look at me like I'm an awful mother for taking a new born out so soon???
I would also like ot start taking him to places like the store when I have to go grocery shopping and so forth... My husband is back to work full time now and I either have to start bringing him with on errands or wait till the weekend, and that leaves no time to enjoy the weekend then!
Please give me your oppinions on this.

2- My ped put my son on Nutramigen formula because he was throwing up about once every 2 days (projectile). He was gaining weight and seemed like a perfectly healthy baby other than the throwing up once in a while. Well, nothing has changed on this new formula and my son is still gaining weight and doing fine (and still throwing up on occassion). I asked the dr. if I could go back to a regular formula and he said to wait another month or 2... Another month or 2 is like another 4 to 6 hundred dollars (this stuff is rediculously expensive and does not keep my son satisfied so he eats twice as much!) Not to mention it stinks horribly!!!
I think my doctor should not have rushed us into this hypo-allergenic formula so quickly and there are plenty of other options out there that would work better for my son (I have heard good things about Good Start Easy to Digest Formula). Has anyone here changed their baby's formula a few times before finding the right one??? I am thinking of just buying a small can of Good Start and tring it. If it doesn't work, I will go back to Nutramigen of course. But could it hurt to try something else??? (I will pay any amount to keep my son healthy and happy, but I just do not think that he is allergic to dairy and would prefer for him to be on a milk based formula if he is able to tolerate it... This stuff is made of cornsyrup solids and that doesn't sound good to me...).

Thanks for your advice!
I guess that wasn't short afterall

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-01-2009, 08:06 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

teach79 HB User
Re: Newborn Questions

Hi! I don't know if I consider myself and experience parent, but I do have 11 month old twin boys!

Ok for your question #1. I personally think it is fine for you to take your little one out. However since you will be outside just make sure the weather is ok and that he is dressed appropriately. Also, you might want to keep him in his carseat that way others aren't tyring to hold him. I noticed when my boys were little that people left them alone if they were in their carseats. If you take him to the store do the same. Just be aware that it is the beginning of cold and flu season!!

Ok, question #2. My boys were 10 weeks premature and spent 6 weeks in the NICU. They started having blood in their stool and they switched their formula to the Nutramigen. They were only on this for about 2 weeks. They said that a lot of times in the beginning babies digestion systems can't handle the milk protein in regular formula but this gets better as they grow. It almost sounds to me that he might have a mild case of acid reflux. Have they ever mentioned this? One of my guys did the projectile vomiting after he ate almost once a day. So, they switched him to Enfamil AR, which is a thicker formula that helps the milk stay down. He would still spit up, but never projectile vomited again! You might want to try that or mention it to your ped. They do have a Walmart brand that I switched my boys to because it is cheaper and it seems to work just as good (Parents Choice).

Well, I hope this helps! Good luck!
Teach

Old 10-01-2009, 08:31 AM   #3
(female)

Murray67980 HB User

Thank you for your advise Teach!
I will for sure keep him in his car seat when I take him out! I will also cover him as much as possible to keep others away from him.
He still sleeps all day long, and is awake all night, so I'm hoping that if I start taking him out more during the day for some fresh air he will start to adjust his sleeping schedule.

I think I will try mixing the Nutramigen with another formula and see how he reacts. I really don't think he needs to be on this stuff. When I try to voice my own oppinion to the pediatrician he just disregards me, so I think its time to switch doctors. He may have the degree, but I'm the one who is with my son 24/7! I wanted to try Enfamil AR originally, but the doctor told me to try Nutramigen instead. My son did not show any signs of having a milk allergy besides throwing up, and like I said, that was only once every 48 hours. He was keeping down most feedings, and not fussy or gassy at all.
The one good thing I can say about Nutramigen however is that my son poops with every feeding...

Old 10-01-2009, 10:06 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

teach79 HB User

Glad I could help! Another thing I was going to add is that our neonatologist in the NICU said that they don't like to keep babies on the Nutramegin because it doesn't have a very good taste and as the baby gets older they tend not to like it! He sounds just like my little guy. He would throw up, but was never fussy and even as he got older, he would spit up, but be smiling the whole time! With minor acid reflux, the baby will still continue to grow and will feel no discomfort. THe enfamil AR really has been a lifesaver for us! Now, with that being said, since it is thicker it can make babies constipated, but my guys never had that problem! Good luck and let know what you decide to do!
Oh and I think switching drs might be a good idea!

Old 10-01-2009, 10:27 AM   #5
(female)

sparky06516 HB User

As a mom of 2 and grandmother of 3, yes, I agree, take your little guy out, especially to a fair, or even anywhere that is outside, fresh air is the best thing for kids of all ages, even infants, and yes, dress appropriately according to weather. As far as the formula goes, and a lot of people never ask, if you are having a problem affording the formula, let your doc know, a lot of pediatric offices get cases of formula from distributors, ask the doc if they have some of the one your little uses or if they can get it for you. I have a friend that works in a peds office and is always getting formula for patients especially for this reason. Usually the vomiting does go away, and I agree, it could be acid reflux, my grandson was the same way and once every few days really isn't that bad, especially if he is gaining wait. He just may not be as hungry as he things and that may be another reason he is vomiting. It's like overfilling a glass of milk, when it's full it will overflow, just as a childs belly does, when it's full the formula has no where to go except, OUT and that's one reason they vomit. Good Luck, and don't be afraid to ask for some help with the formula, that's why they get it. And do take the little one out,

Old 10-02-2009, 06:16 PM   #6
(female)

Murray67980 HB User

Thank you so much for the helpful advise!

I called my dr. again to ask about switching formulas and now he is telling me to add rice cereal to his botles to keep him full for longer and to help with the spitting up.
Has anyone ever tried this?
I'm afraid that it will make my baby gain too much weight...
I don't understand why my dr. is making it so difficult for me to just try a different formula...???
I know I should go to another doctor to get a second oppinion, but have not had the time or energy to do so... We are going on our 3rd night of no sleep...
My son doesn't scream all night, but he is wide awake and will start to cry the second we put him down. He also seems to be hungry all the time!!! (Crying while putting his hands in his mouth and moving his head as if he is nodding "no" really fast)...
I just wish he could tell me what he needs... This is so frusterating! I hate seeing my baby seem so unhappy at night =(
During the day he is fine! He sleeps a lot, and will look at me when I read or sing to him. He seems perfectly content. But then night comes and he is just miserable!

I guess I will try adding rice cereal to his bottle tonight... I'm willing to try anything at this point.

Old 10-03-2009, 05:43 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

teach79 HB User

Personally, I have never done this and I am shocked that your dr said to do this. They say that this can be a choking hazard. My dr. specifically said not to do this! However, I do know that this was very typical several years ago and many people still do this. With that being said the Enfamil AR is the exact same thing except the rice cereal is already mixed in. Honestly, if it were me, I would try the Enfamil AR, but you are the mommy, so you need to feel what is best for you and your little one! Trust your instincts! Good luck!

Old 10-03-2009, 08:27 AM   #8
(female)

Murray67980 HB User

Hi Teach,
I chickened out and decided not to mix the rice cereal in with his bottle last night. I read that it can lead to childhood obesity and food allergies later on.
I just bought some Enfamil AR and plan to mix it with the Nutramigen. I will let you know how it works. Thanks again! =)

Old 10-03-2009, 10:49 AM   #9
(female)

sparky06516 HB User

Putting a little cereal in his bottle will not hurt him nor will he choke, your only putting in a little to make it a little thicker it will definatly fill him up more. My daughter who has a newborn, 3 months old, was going through a simular situation, she was using powder formula and I told her to switch to the ready to feed, the consistency is a little thicker and now the baby is more satisfied, you may want to try that if your using powder. You can also make the power thicker my using a blender to mix it with water instead of just shaking it, I just recently found this out by a distributor of formula. As far as his sleeping all day and up at night, this is typical, he has his day and nights mixed up which they do grow out of, try to keep him up more during the day. Back to the cereal, I used to give it to my kids (they are now 24 and 29) they survived and are far from overweight. Your have never mentioned how much formula your little guy is taking at each feeding. Believe me, I know how frustrating this is to new moms, but it's also a learning process, and the Doc's arn't also right. And being sleep deprived is not fun when your a new mom, try to sleep when he does. Good Luck!!!!!!!!!and get some rest, somehow!!!!

Old 10-03-2009, 12:30 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

teach79 HB User

Murray, I hope mixing it works. I have always used the AR for my boys, but now that they are older they don't seem to need it quite as thick, but still can't handle the regular formula, so I mix regular lipil formula with the AR. Good luck! I hope you can figure out soon what is going to work best for you and your little one!

Old 10-03-2009, 02:26 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Brocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB User

Absolutely no rice cereal. He needs the proteins from milk, not the starch from rice!!!! Your doctor seems about 40 years behind the times!

Old 10-03-2009, 07:36 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

BioAdoptMom3 HB User

Your doctor may suspect reflux, so that would be why he would recommend adding a little cereal. A thicker consistancy actually helps. I think your idea though, to mix a little regular formula or AR with the nutramagin, might help fill him up. It sounds like he is hungry during the night the way you are describing his behavior with the crying.

Does he sleep in a different place or position during the day most of the time, then on his back at night? If so, that may be the problem. Try having him sleep at night in his swing or carseat, propped on his side, swaddled or on his tummy if you are comfortable with that. Most babies do not sleep very well flat on their backs. It may help you get a lot more sleep during the night. Even if he sleeps fine on his back during the day, try swaddling or the side, etc. at night to see if it helps.

As far as keeping him covered when you are out, just be sure not to cover him too much if its warm out. I often see babies around here (I live in central FL and this time of year, even at night, its seldom below 60) bundled up like little eskimos and I feel so badly for them. The recommendation is one more light layer than what you would have on at that time. So if you are comfy in long sleeves, put him in long sleeves too and put a light blanket over him.

I second the idea that its fine to take him out. With each baby, you'll find that you go out sooner, LOL!

Nancy

Closed Thread