It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2009, 08:46 AM   #1
(female)

Murray67980 HB User
Vaccinations

My son is due to get his vaccinations in 2 weeks (when he will be 2 months old). I decided to research it a little on the internet and now I am driving myself nuts over whether I should do it or not. My doctor requires them or else we will need to find another doctor.
I have read that vaccinations are linked to SIDS and Autism... I don't know what to do!!!
I would like to wait until he is older, but then if he were to get one of these diseases that he could have been vaccinated from I would not be able to live with myself!!! I just don't know what the right thing to do is and would appreciate your personal oppinions and decisions you made with your own children...

Thank you!

Old 10-12-2009, 09:35 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

teach79 HB User
Re: Vaccinations

First of all, this is a very personal decision and I don't think there is a right or wrong answer. It all depends on the person/family. My 11 mo old sons have had every vacination so far. I have done a lot of research on vacinations and was a little leary myself. However, what I have read states that any disease your child could get from not getting the vacination is far worse than any vacination. While there is a lot of research linking vacinations and autism, they haven't been able to prove this. I recently saw a show with a family that had 5 autistic children. Their first 2 children had all of their shots, so to prevent autism in their next child they opted out of the shots. That child too ended up with autism. So, they decided with their other children to get the shots. They are linking their cases of autism to genetics! The majority of these shots have been around since we were kids and our parents were kids, however autism is only now becoming more prevalent. I think there is something out there that is causing autism, but I'm just not convinced it is from the shots. I am a teacher and at most (if not all) public schools, vacinations are required, so you might want to keep that in mind.

Now, I am sure there are people out there that are going to hate and argue with what I am saying, but as I stated in the beginning, this is just my opinion. You need to speak with your dr and family members and make this decision on your own. Good luck with whatever decision you make!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-12-2009, 09:43 AM   #3
(female)

Murray67980 HB User

Thanks Teach,
I am a teacher as well and never questioned the safety of vaccinations until I became a mom... Now I question EVERYTHING! Sometimes I miss the old, carefree me! haha

I agree that my son should and will be vaccinated, I just question whether 2 months of age is the right time to do it...
I also agree that autism will happen if the genetics say it will whether the child is vaccinated or not. I am more concerned about SIDS to be honest. I started worrying about that the day he was born and the hospital gave me a booklet on it to read... Why do they have to scare the crap out of new parents before we even have a chance to enjoy our new baby?
Sometimes I feel like he's a ticking time bomb with all of the stuff to worry about out there...

Thank you for your opinion though, it helps a lot to hear from other parents about these issues! =)

Old 10-12-2009, 10:23 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

teach79 HB User

Murray, I hate to tell you, but the worries just continue as they get older! The thing about SIDS is there is no real cause. Basically if a child under the age of 4 dies in their sleep, then they call the cause of death SIDS. There are precautions that can help reduce the risk of SIDS (all I'm sure you have heard before). Such as, laying them on their backs, keep the temp in the room cool (having the room too warm can cause them to forget to breathe), leave a fan on or a cool mist humidifier, etc. I used a Halo Swaddle Me Sleep Sack with my boys until they were 7 months old. These were created by a mother who lost their child to SIDS and is suppose to reduce the risk. There are many items on their website that you can buy for the crib to reduce SIDS. My boys spent 6 weeks in teh NICU and they used these while they were there! We are always going to worry and there isn't much we can do about it. Just be the best mom you can be and know that you are doing everything to keep your little one safe! If you are still concerned about SIDS, they do have movement monitors for the cribs. They monitor the babies breathing and if they stop breathing for more than 15 sec (I think) then an alarm will sound. We looked into getting these for my boys but decided not to because they came home on Apnea monitors and stayed on those until they were 3 1/2 months. However, I have heard they are great for peace of mind!

Old 10-12-2009, 11:55 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

kittyroo HB User

At four months we got the HIB shot. At five months, the DTap. At six the second HIB and at seven the second Dtap. We did that until we had 3 doses in him. THen we took a month off and started with the Polio alternating with the Prevnar. We did that until we had three doses in him. THat's all we've done thus far. He is now a healthy 2 year old. THis was my choice based on my circumstances. He does not go to daycare and is more or less out of circulation.

We will get the MMR at some point, I don't know when. We will also *probably* be getting the H1N1. Again based on our circumstances. I spent my entire pregnancy researching and talking to people on BOTH sides of the issue. Only you can do what's right for your kids.

Old 10-12-2009, 12:43 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

AlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB User

I want to clear something up, vaccinations are NOT A REQUIREMENT for school. No one can force you to vaccinate this this country. Last time I checked, we were still a free country. There are exemption forms that you can fill out. Do not let anyone bully or try to tell you that otherwise.

I would wait on them or consider skipping them. This is why.....children get about 29 vaccines within the first couple of years of life. Have you read about all of the chemicals and toxins in each vaccine yet? If not YOU NEED TO DO THAT. These chemicals in each vaccine are neurotoxins that lower the immune syste, alter the health of the body, and effect the brain as they can pass the brain/blood barrier which is where autism comes in.

The thing with autism is the it is a mitochondrial disorder than you don't know your child has this conditon and the child suddenly becomes autisic after shots because the toxins push them over that edge.

The other misconception is peple believe that once you are vaccinated you are "now protected" and the is simply not true. They drug companies admit #1, the vaccines wear off and they don't really know when and #2, that is IF you take some immunity to it. Some people can get a vaccine and never develop immunity to it. This is a huge misconception that really makes me sad.

There is nothing good about foreign aborted fetus DNA or DNA from animals like monkeys in the growing and developing babies body. That goes with formaldhyde, sodium chloride, polysorbate 80, MSG, thimersol aka mercury, etc.

Mercury itself is one of the most toxic elements on this planet. There is no "safe" level in the body, yet it is used in vaccines. One vaccine can put 25x the amount of mercury a body can handle.

Another thing to consider is that we are afraid for our babies to get sick, but what happens when we introduce many chemical into the body? It LOWERS IMMUNE SYSTEM FUNCTION because the body is not meant for chemicals and toxins. We bombard and attack our immune system when these things are injected in which overwhelms the immune system and thus if the child were to come in contact with bacteria and virus could make them sick because the immune system was jeopardized by the chemicals, whereas, if it were not, the childwould likel not be sick.

Please, I encourage you to educate yourself more about the EXACT chemical contents and what exactly their effect is on the body. Also educate yourself about the immune system of the body and the exemption forms available for school.

I stopped vaccinating my daughter at 12 months. Knowledge is power.

I would be extremely weary of the h1n1 vaccine. It contains squalene, adjuvants, and mercury. These are not recommend chemicals and are not safe. Theu also have detrimental effects on the body including inducing autoimmune disease.

The thing is, you can just as easily build up the immune system naturally and it is by far the best protection you can get. Again, flu shots are not a guarantee as many believe them to be and it is very unfortunate.

Finally, I have done all my college research on drugs, drug companies, medicine, and doctors. Most doctor receive kickbacks from the drug company reps. They are swayed to prescribe or push vaccines and they will say and use scare tactics to get you to use them. Many people within the drug companies don't take the ame vaccines and drugs they push onto the general public. They also spend way more money each year on advertising to doctors and the general public that they do developing new drugs because it is very profitable for them when we buy into whatever they and the doctors say. Follow the money trail......the drug companies own the media and the media uses scare tactics and skewed information into pushing vaccines.

It is always one-sided and no alternatives are to be heard of. If you fully understand each chemical and the effects of the body, the history of vaccines, drug companies, etc. and you feel the right thing to do is vaccinate then go for it.

Last edited by AlexaIn2006; 10-12-2009 at 12:52 PM.

Old 10-12-2009, 12:59 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

I vaccinated my daughter until 12 months of age because I was mislead that she needed it for school, which is not true. There are exemption forms in each state. No one can force you to do it. Vaccines are a one size fits all.

Autism is a mitochondrial disorder which you don't know your child has until they have been pushed over the edge by vaccine chemicals. There are no children with autism in amish communities and thet do not vaccinate at all. If you research, most people have a normal functioning child who talks and after a vaccine, they scream non-stop and go into their own world and are not the same ever again.

Just research and make the decision yourself.

Old 10-12-2009, 01:12 PM   #8
(female)

Murray67980 HB User

Wow Alexa, that is scary.
Needless to say I think I will use the 2 weeks I have left of maternity leave to do a lot of research before deciding on anything...
If only there were some clear cut answers...

Old 10-12-2009, 02:31 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

By all means I am not trying to scare anyone but I have devoted my life to this. It takes some research and common sense. If doctors and the media were up front about these issues or even told the public what the content or ingredients were there would be a lot of angry people and not many waiting in line to get vaccinated.....they would probably think twice. Some of this information is intentionally witheld.

Best of luck to your and your decision!

Old 10-12-2009, 06:43 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

kittyroo HB User

Ditto Alexa. Just one thing tho, and I am not one to quibble about this generally. I generally agree with the Alexa school of thought. However, I have worked myself into an exhausted state researching the H1N1 shot and AT THIS TIME, it contains no adjuvant. They are holding off on that in hopes that the virus doesn't mutate. If the virus does mutate, they will then make an adjuvanted version, thus rendering the original useless, and bringing on a wholly different discussion.

THis is in the USA, I should point out. I don't know about Europe and Canada.

The other thing you as a parent can get sticky about with your pediatrician is the mercury. The SINGLE dose vials of the flu shots have no mercury. THe multi dose vials DO have mercury. As Alexa correctly points out, it is up to you to research, research, research!! If I were you, instead of letting yourself get too upset, start by taking action. Call your child's pediatrician and ask what the scoop is with their vaccines. When I did this, my peed's office *laughed* at the notion of mercury in their vaccines. They said they've used the updated ones for years now or they would have been out of business. Now, my girlfriend? SHe researches nothing and is generally pretty carefree about it. She takes her two year old to a regular family doctor who gives the Pediatrix shot. THat is like 6 vaccines in one! I was speechless when I heard this. But, different strokes, right?

Just use your head and listen to your guts. Start with the phone call and if you don't get the answer you want, find a different MD. Research, research and research! Good luck.

Old 10-12-2009, 07:12 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Belly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB User

You also have the option of staggering vaccinations. I did not allow my children to get more than 1-2 shots at a time. They get so many their first 2 years of life that I decided to spread them out.

As for autism, I only like to read what is on the Autism Society of America web site. It has the best information out there.

I am sorry, but you cannot build up immunity to some of the deadly diseases out there. I don't know where you live, but some areas have an abundance of migrant workers. With more and more illegals coming into our country, and less people vaccinating, some of the diseases that killed our relatives in the past are coming back. Also, there is a good chance your child will want to travel or leave the country at some time in their life. Right now, my husband is in India for work. You better believe he has all his shots. Could you imagine if he came back sick and gave it to our family?

Sorry to scare you more, but both sides of the issue can be equally as scary. It is not black or white. Because I feel there is a lot of gray area, I decided that I wanted the shots for my children but did not want to get them all at once. Maybe that was my happy medium.

Last edited by Belly Kelly; 10-12-2009 at 07:18 PM.

Old 10-12-2009, 07:51 PM   #12
(female)

Murray67980 HB User

I do plan on getting my child vaccinated, however I think I would like to wait till he is at least 18 months old (that also gives me more time to research and decide what is best). I would also like to skip certain ones like chicken pox.... (I had them and everyone I know has had them... Not so bad).
Belly Kelly I think its a good idea to space them out too...
My son will not be going to school or Day Care till he is at least 2 years old, so I don't think I need to rush this decision the way his ped is making me do so... I just need more time to look into things.
Thank you all for your opinions and your advice! You have given me much to think about =)

Old 10-12-2009, 07:56 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

BioAdoptMom3 HB User

It is a personal decision, but my experiences have been that none of our three children have ever had any serious reactions to any vaccines and before a meningitis vaccine was available, we watched our 17 month old nephew almost die of the disease. He spent the next year re-learning to walk because the disease effected his coordination. I don't think anyone really knows what causes SIDS or Autism. If you trust your pediatrician I would go with his/her advice.

Nancy

Old 10-14-2009, 01:26 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Accutane2X HB User

Great advice here. I got all of my DDs shots on schedule with what my ped. recommended. Except for the MMR. It was recommended at 12 Months and we put it off until 18 Months. Now I am doing research on the H1N1. I did not get the flu shot for her last year. My ped. never suggested it and I never asked for it. My husband and I both got it and will again this year. Still deciding about the flu shot and the H1N1. DD has a cold right now, so I'm holding off until she's feeling better anyway. But the way I look at it.......There will be 4 shots total (since they split them into two and spread out over months for under 3 yrs old). If we got the first this month, she wouldn't be finished getting the flu shots until January. I'm not so sure it's worth it. Good luck with your research.

Old 10-15-2009, 02:08 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

WhiskersOnKittens HB User

I haven't read the previous posts, but I wanted to add my input.

I too lately, have been questioning vaccines in general, and have been doing a lot of reading up on it, in preperation for any future shots my ds's will or will not be getting. I highly recommend Dr. Sears' book The Vaccine Book. It is easy to understand, and gives the pros, cons, possible side effects, risks, etc. to each vaccine.

FWIW, we don't get the flu vaccine, and we won't be getting H1N1 either. The flu vaccine has one of the highest risks of side effects of any vaccine, AND they haven't been right on the strain of flu to hit for the past 2 years. So even if you get all that lovely stuff injected into you, there's a good chance you'll end up with the flu anyway. They might be right this year, but getting sick is a risk we'll take. I hate it when they say "getting the flu shot is the best thing you can do to protect yourself...". Uh actually no..... Having a healthy immune system and practicing good hygene is the best thing you can do.... Sheesh. But, to each their own.
Our newest bundle, Brody Anderson! - February 09'

Closed Thread