It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2009, 04:07 PM   #1
(male)

Rob Adam HB User
Baby not sleeping

My grandson - 4 weeks - not sleeping after a feed (breast) - seems to be in pain - not sure if its colic or something else - parents aren't sleeping - baby is otherwise happy & healthy - putting on weight - but suffers after feeding - what options (remedies) are there?

Old 10-23-2009, 06:36 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

teach79 HB User
Re: Baby not sleeping

Have they spoken with their pediatrician? That would be my first step. It could possibly be acid reflux. This sometimes can be very painful for babies after eating and is often mistaken for colic. (If it is acid reflux, there is medication for it and they typically outgrow it between 6-9 months.) Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-24-2009, 08:59 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

BioAdoptMom3 HB User

Suggest to them that they might want to have him sleep upright in his carseat (they can put it right in the crib), in his swing, in his bouncy, on his side, swaddled or on his tummy. Most babies do not sleep well flat on their backs and if they have gas or reflux, it makes it even worse.

Nancy

Old 11-05-2009, 09:14 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

WhiskersOnKittens HB User

First off, let me say that breastfeeding is the best thing she can do, particularily if it seems that the little one is having trouble with feedings (it's much gentler on baby's system).
As a previous poster mentioned, it could be reflux. If this is the case, something that mama's eating could be causing a reaction in the baby. The most common culprit is dairy, but there are other things that it could be.
I would start off by talking to the doctor, and see what he/she thinks. Does baby vomit or have any other symptoms?
Good luck!
Our newest bundle, Brody Anderson! - February 09'

Old 11-21-2009, 07:30 PM   #5
(female)

newbmom HB User

Yes talk to the dr first. I called my dr all the time and they were very helpful.
My two sons had trouble after eating. They were having difficulty with breastfeeding so we had to go the formula route. My older son seemed to be lactose intolerant (so is his daddy) so Soy worked immediately for him. My second son seems to be allergic to milk protein we tried soy, pre-digested formulas (Emfamil etc), then we had to go to Nutramigen. Nutramigen is hypoallergenic. We also kept him upright for 10-15 minutes after eating to help him out. Some gas-ex might help too. Gripe water is a natural or more natural anti-gas drop.
I hesitate to put a baby in a car seat only because I did this with my older boy when he had RSV to help him breathe (on a RN's advice in the hospital) and he vomited up his formula. I had to tilt the entire carseat forward to make sure he didn't choke or aspirate. I didn't waste time trying to get the straps open. So I, personally, don't feel comfortable with them in any seat when sleeping. But you can also tilt the entire side of the crib up where his head is or put a pillow under the mattress to tilt the mattress up. They just tend to slid a bit . They also have pre-digested soy formulas now too.
My mom suggests you roll him. We put the baby on the bed and roll him over (stomach, back, stomach etc) back and forth across the bed to help move the gas. My husband's technique is to push the legs up like a catcher and push down the knees on the tummy. This has produced some loud gas passing in our youngest and helps him get more comfortable.
Hope this helps!

Last edited by newbmom; 11-21-2009 at 07:30 PM.

Old 11-29-2009, 06:12 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Belly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB User

Sounds like reflux. The clue here is that the baby is having problems after eating. Is the baby gassy?

Closed Thread