It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2009, 01:36 PM   #1
(female)

hope63crafty HB User
Smile allergic and going through formula

if you try goat milk it works wonders. My three kids and now my one month grand baby and my 7 month old niece are all allergic to milk and thrive on goat milk. it is the next best thing to breast milk and goes with it also

Last edited by hope63crafty; 12-31-2009 at 01:38 PM.

Old 02-08-2010, 09:03 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

WhiskersOnKittens HB User
Re: allergic and going through formula

I don't mean to be argumentative, but the proteins in goat's milk and cow's milk are very similar, so if a baby is allergic/intolerant to cows milk proteins, there's a good chance they won't do well with goat's either.
Our newest bundle, Brody Anderson! - February 09'

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-09-2010, 02:59 AM   #3
(female)

doodlebugsmom HB User

I have to agree with Whiskers here. Casein, the predominant allergen in cow's milk, is also present in goat's milk. An allergy to cow's milk (true allergy) will likely mean there's also an allergy to goat's milk. Furthermore, goat's milk is lacking in essential nutrients needed for human development, so unless properly supplemented, it is not a good alternative at all. A much better option, when dealing with formula allergies and intolerances is to discuss the issue with the pediatrician and find an option that works for the child. Nutramigen, Alimentum, Neocate and Elecare exist for the management of food allergies in infants and young children.

Old 02-09-2010, 08:05 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

kittyroo HB User

The only nutrient that goat's milk is lacking ( when compared to cow milk) in is folic acid. Folic acid can easily be supplemented or found in many different foods. As far as "essential nutrients" coming from cow's milk, well, we have the dairy spin machine to thank for that. Humans don't need cow's milk to grow and survive. Calcium and omega fatty acids can all be found in many, many different food choices. Human reaction to cow milk, in addition to digestive issues, also include excessive mucus production. Ever get a really snotty cold or allergies? Get off the milk and I PROMISE it will clear up faster. My two and a half year old has never had cow milk and I hope he never will.

Closed Thread