It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2010, 01:27 PM   #1
(male)

AndrussA HB User
Exclamation My son isn't pooping

My name is Abraham and my son's name is Dylan. He is 3 months old and has been urinating quite well, but hasn't had a bowel movement in 3 days. He is breast fed, so my wife says he should be pooping every day. Is something wrong?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-28-2010, 04:29 PM   #2
(female)

kittenkaboodle HB User
Re: My son isn't pooping

My son pooped nearly hourly for the first few months of his life... everytime we did a diaper change it was always dirty, and then he sort of leveled out to a once-a-day pooper.

Once we introduced solid foods, his pooping halted. He would only eat a couple of mouthfuls of baby cereal, and he wouldn't poop for a week. I know your son is only 3 months, but has he had anything except breastmilk? Even infant medications like Baby Tylenol can stop them up for a while.

If everything else in his routine is fairly normal then I probably wouldn't worry about it for now. I've read that some babies only poop once a week or even longer. But I know how you feel... it's kind of worrisome when they break their little routines. You can always make an appointment with your pediatrician in a day or two to help ease your mind.

I'm sure all is fine... good luck to you!

Kitten

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-28-2010, 06:31 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

kdel HB Userkdel HB User

I would at least call his doctor. I think 3 days is long for a 3 month old baby on only breastmilk however, like kitten said - if any rice cereal is being given then this could be why but I'd still call. Good luck to you!

Old 03-27-2010, 08:16 AM   #4
(female)

mumma1 HB User

My son had this problem and he was crying alot due to this lack of bowel movement. My mother told me an old wives tale of ONE teaspoon of brown sugar in 4-5oz of water. At first i was sceptic to this, so i went to the doctor for a second opinion and she advised the same. She told me that some old methods worked. So i put ONE TEASPOON of brown sugar in 4-5oz of water in a bottle and let him have about 1-2oz of this for 2 days maximum and he started to have bowel movements pretty much straight away. I've advised other recent mothers of this method and all have informed me that this works.
If you choose to use this method, only use one teaspoon to 4-5oz of water and ONLY let them drink 1-2oz of this as too much isn't good and your'll probably end up with the other end of the scale. Diarrhoea. ONlY give for 2 days maximum.
This has worked wonders with myself and many of my friends who have become recent mothers and is a natural and harmless method.
Hope this could be of some help to you.
Mumma1

Last edited by mumma1; 03-27-2010 at 08:18 AM.

Old 03-30-2010, 02:21 PM   #5
Veteran
(male)

caberg HB Usercaberg HB Usercaberg HB Usercaberg HB Usercaberg HB User

Our breastfed son would go a couple days when he was in the 4-5 month range. It's normal. But, watch out when he does go. It's not pretty.

Closed Thread