It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2010, 06:59 AM   #1
(female)

AreteD HB User
help! nasty diaper rash that won't quit!

Hello,

My sweet daughter is 8 months old and has been battling a diaper rash for weeks and weeks. After trying 4 different OTC diaper rash creams, I finally took her to the doctor about two weeks ago. They gave her a prescription for something called Nystatin. I've used it as directed and the rash is still getting worse. So I switched back to OTC and STILL no improvement. I've got a $40 office visit copay plus a copay on prescriptions, so I'd really like to avoid having to take her back to the doc, especially since I feel like my time and money were wasted the first time.

Does anyone have any suggestions or thoughts? Or maybe you've experienced the same thing w/your child and have a magic cure you can share? Thanks!

Old 02-16-2010, 08:31 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

ny305 HB User
Re: help! nasty diaper rash that won't quit!

balmex diaper rash ointment works really fast.. my daughter is 7 months and gets rashes too a lot..try this ointment.. they have it at cvs or walmart..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-16-2010, 08:31 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User

Sounds like the doctor thought it was yeast. We've used a triple paste cream called criticaid, which I got at the pharmacy. It's used by adults with incontinence issues. Forms a barrier that only comes off in the bath. Dried up the area and got rid of the redness overnight. But it does stain clothes.

Old 02-16-2010, 08:33 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

niknak77 HB User

Have you tried changing brands of diapers? I had the same problem when my oldest was a baby, took him to the doctor and he said it was my brand name diapers(Pampers)! He said that my ds had sensitive skin and that the diapers were doing their job too well, they were pulling away the moisture not just from wet/dirty diapers but the moisture from his rear end, irritating the skin and making it more prone to rashes and less likely to heal. He said to use cheap store brand diapers and just change him more often, as well as keep applying the creams. I never would have believed it but it worked like a charm. I also switched to the sensitive skin unscented wipes as well.
Good luck, I hope your dd heals up quickly.

Old 02-16-2010, 08:56 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

marisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB User

This diaper rash cure is 100% guaranteed to work. I have three girls and they have all gone through the nasty diaper rash phases!!!

First rinse all your wipes thoroughly before using them on your baby. You don't have to get the expensive name brand wipes, but I do recommend using the "sensitive" type (they just seem to hold up better), and I don't recommend Huggies, ever (not the brand name or generic....they always seem to fall apart and leave fuzzies). My personal preference is Target brand sensitive, but if you don't have a Target, Walmart brand sensitive wipes are good too.

So at each diaper change, use rinsed wipes. Pat as much as possible, don't rub unless it's absolutely necessary (sometimes you just have to with a poopy diaper!), but be gentle!!!

This next step is KEY..... use a hair dryer to dry her bottom. Set it on low heat, keep a hand near her bottom at all times so you can feel if it ever gets too warm, and keep the dryer moving back and forth so it never sits in one spot too long. But use the dryer for at least 5 minutes with each change.... longer, if you have the time! Drying out the diaper rash is the easiest and fastest way to cure it.

Finally, don't use creams! Especially if baby has open sores or blisters on her bottom!!! The creams just get inside the sores and blisters and tend to make the rash way worse before it gets better! Use plain vaseline. Do not apply the vaseline until her bottom is completely dry, and cooled a bit after the hair dryer, or you'll just keep the rash going (I usually just use the cool shot with the hair dryer). Diaper rashes thrive on warm moist places.

This is a 100% cure. We've never had a diaper rash last longer than two days since I figured this all out!

One thing to keep in mind though is that your baby could be allergic to the diapers you're using. Like niknak said, you might try changing brands, too.

Old 03-03-2010, 10:55 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

justmel30 HB User

My 18 month old has very sensetive skin. My diaper rash cream of choice is hands down, the original desitin. Not the new creamy kind. The original kind. Put this stuff on thick before they go to bed, get up and change once at night to make sure they havent soiled themselves too badly. Give a gentle bath in the morning then put it on lightly throughout the day. If you have any time to just let her be bare butt without any cream, that would be good. Air does a wonderful job of helping to heal. Also, my mother allways swears by cornstarch. I dont know how much truth there is to it, i've never used it. Use a non-scented, non-alcohol wipe if you arent allready. And make sure to change her lot's and lots during the day to keep her clean and dry. Dont wipe her hard, and if she just urinates, take the diaper off, again, let her air dry. Urine is sterile so she isn't "dirty" from this. Giving her little tush a break from constant cleaning and wipping can be a very helpful method. If you get a chance, give her another bath in the evening, and again, let her air dry. If she is in daycare, take a count of how many diapers they are going through, and make sure she is being changed regularly. Hope that helps you.
Melissa

Old 03-03-2010, 01:08 PM   #7
(female)

rainbow fish HB User

Vasaline helped my son (the typical creams seemed to make it worse on him. I don't know why). I have a neighbor who swears corn startch is the best. I can ask her what she mixes it with if you're interested.

Old 03-03-2010, 04:08 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

justmel30 HB User

My mother allways said with the cornstarch, you just pat it on them as is and be careful not to get too much on them, like in the folds of the skin and what have you.

Old 03-04-2010, 06:15 AM   #9
(female)

AreteD HB User

Thank you everyone, for the tips & advice. Over the last couple weeks I've consistently been using Desitin and no baby powder. (I had been using both for a while). The only other thing I've been doing is drying her tooshie with a blow dryer between every single diaper change (low heat setting, of course!). She's healing nicely. Oh, and I've always used hypo-allergenic wipes since it seems best not to use wipes with added fragrances and such in the first place.

So, thin layer of Desitin, a couple minutes with the blow dryer, and a fresh new diaper often. Seems to be doing the trick. Thanks again!!

Old 03-04-2010, 07:01 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

marisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB User

Glad to hear she's getting better!

Closed Thread