It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2008, 03:40 PM   #1
Facilitator
(female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User
Month old baby... severe milk allergy - please, help!

Hi to everyone! I hope you are doing well in this beautiful April's weather!

My wonderful 1 month old grandson was diagnosed today with severe milk food allergy.
He is crying while feeding.
He can't sleep
Throws up a lot even through his little nose.
They found blood in his stool today.

He was on hypoallergenic milk for babies and still has allergy.
Dr put him on very expensive (again milk product though) called NEOCATE milk.

My question to you: what if this one will not work, than what? Soy milk or ship milk is out of question since Dr said most kids who allergic to milk, they allergic to Soy and Ship milk too.
I am so worry about him, my heart brakes to see how much pain he is in and ow much he throws up, does not sleep...

Please, advice and share with grandma about this situation.
Thank you in advance!

Old 04-05-2008, 06:39 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

LauraLu HB UserLauraLu HB User
Re: Month old baby... severe milk allergy - please, help!

I thought that the purpose of a soy formula was to for babies with milk allergies. My daughter is 8 months and was diagnosed with a milk allergy. She drinks a soy formula (Isomil), which was recommended by her pediatrician. She does wonderfully with it!
If your grandson is not doing well with the other stuff, why not just try it out? I guess at this point it couldn't hurt, right?
I know how frustrating it must be for your grandson...I hate seeing my little one in ANY kind of discomfort.
Best of luck to you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-05-2008, 06:49 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

hopetofeelwell1 HB User

Hi Moldova! I am not a grandma, although I am the mother of a 20-year old and I have to say I had good luck with my son. I do, however, have a brother-in-law, born in 1965 who was so allergic to everything, including milk, that my husband's folks almost lost him. My mother-in-law told me that at the time they had a formula called "MBF", which was a meat-based formula. He ate it and he thrived. I don't know if the product is still around, but I do know I would ask every pharmacist in the area if they have knowledge about any meat based formulas. My grand nephew was born with a milk intolerance that the doctor said he would probably outgrow. HE DID!! I would also get my baby to a good allergist right away because(and I learned this the hard way) the allergist knows the proper tools for dealing with allergies. I hope this will be helpful. God bless and take care--Hopeto--

Old 04-05-2008, 09:34 PM   #4
(female)

Kippelninkel HB User

I don't understand the doctor's advice. All of my babies had milk allergies and they did great with soy formula. At least make sure he gets enough fluids (like pedialyte) until you get this figured out. Babies can dehydrate quickly.

Old 04-06-2008, 12:37 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

roses4lace HB User

Is there any possibility the mother can nurse this child? That's pretty much the only real solution to the milk allergy. My son did fine nursing, but from the minute I went to formula he was sick. I had to go back to work, and couldn't keep up the nursing, but now wish I had found a way. For kids with allergies, they suggest mothers milk for at least a year. Unfortunately, introducing the "wrong milk" tends to set these kids up for long term problems. My son was so reactive to milk products we even had to buy special bread made without milk.

Old 04-06-2008, 05:17 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Liamsmom HB User

Your Grandson sounds like my son He had severe milk allergy also with blood in his stool. I nursed him and had to change my diet. I went to the book store and picked up a Diary free cook book and it gave me insight into the other names dairy products go by when listed in the ingredients. Try that and see if it helps. We also tried all those expensive formulas and soy milk etc. but being really strict with my diet and learning about being dairy free helped 1000% the good thing is he grew out of it at age one so there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Good luck and I hope your little fella feels better soon it stinks seeing them hurt so much.

Old 04-06-2008, 10:19 AM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User

I really appreciate your input - thank you very-very much!
My daughter nursed him at first; she had C-section, got complications include bladder infection. They put her on antibiotics, Percocet for pain - baby refused to have her milk. Pediatricial put him on formula and here you are - problems.

Her oldest baby (she is 3 now) was allergic to milk products too, they tried her on Soy milk and O Boy! She got hives all over her body.
So baby now on Neokate ($38.00 a can!!) and will see what happens.

My fear is: what if this will not work, than what?
Meat based formula- we definatelly do some research on it.

Thanks again and have a great weekend!

Old 04-06-2008, 02:19 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Liamsmom HB User

Won't she be able to nurse again after the antibiotics are done? Till then I've heard goat's milk is a good substitute perhaps ask the Pediatrician about that.

Best of luck I know it's rough

Old 04-07-2008, 01:31 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Sounds like Neocate is one of those isolated amino acid things.

Allergies are mainly caused by exposure to proteins the body has decided are bad. Those hypoallergenic formulas have no proteins, just protein components. (so the baby gets proper nutrition without allergens.)

Old 04-09-2008, 01:28 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

SentenceDoing HB User

That seems strange that the doctor said he would also be allergic to soy formula. There is such a thing as a soy allergy, but it's independent of the milk allergy, as far as I know.
When I was a baby, I was lactose intolerant, and was put on Soy formula, which helped a lot. I grew out of the lactose intolerance, until I was about 19, and became lactose intolerant again!

Old 04-12-2008, 12:12 PM   #11
(female)

Mellington HB User

ya know what..I heard the exact same story on the show Mystery Diagnosis..about a week ago..the baby at 6 weeks began to spike a fever..the parents were going crazy bc all of a sudden..the baby began to have SEVERE diarrhea...baby was puking as well..baby was losing weight...2 lbs since they had let the hospital after birth..baby began to suffer severe dehydration bc of this.. after going through MANY different formulas..the family bagan talking about all the symptoms..and realized that there was 2 other family member that had this as well..all in all..it turned out to b a rare genetic disorder and actually had nothing to do with the formulas..soy..or lactose..the name of the genetic disorder was called Nemo Disorder/disease...VERY HARD TO DIAGNOSE!! bc its soooo rare..and usually cant be diagnosed til child is 6-15 months.It includes vomiting and severe diarrhea,sweeling of lower extremities,fever,many ear infections, as well..a key symptom is when the baby cuts teeth..the teeth are NOT flat..like normal..they are pointed!!..literally pointed..

Old 04-13-2008, 10:55 AM   #12
Facilitator
(female)

Thank you so much for your responds,means so much to me.
The toughest part of all this nobody knows for sure what exactly is going on. This new formula is so expensive and it suppose to be good, but why this poor baby still cries when we feed him? Again spitting out? Cries and suffers...
Brakes our hearts and we don't know what to do.
She wishes to be able to feed the baby, but she is still on meds and milk is gone for her. So sad the way it worked out for them.

Baby is not loosing weight, looks beautiful - just cries a lot and screams during feeding. Dr put him on baby Zantac, we don't like it, but what can we do, he needs to be helped...
We are so worry, my daughter and her husband beside themselves, they see wondrerful Pediatricians, but seem nobody can point what the problem is.

Best of luck to all of you and God Bless

Old 04-14-2008, 04:22 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Liamsmom HB User

Could she not pump until she was through with the antibiotics? Also I recall being on a particular antibiotic while nursing can the DR's not put her on one that's safe to use while nursing? I believe it was zithromiacin. Shoot I wish the best for you all

Old 04-14-2008, 05:07 AM   #14
Veteran
(female)

chocolate29 HB Userchocolate29 HB Userchocolate29 HB User

I really wish there was a way that she could go back to nursing him. Have you tried goats milk yet? That would be something to look into.
I really really hope that poor baby gets better. My best wishes to you all.

Old 04-14-2008, 11:16 AM   #15
(female)

bleigh HB User

If the baby is only about a month old the mother should be able to get her milk supply back....if she wants to try to breastfeed the baby. There are meds that her doctor can prescribe to increase her milk production. She could also try just regular pumping to get her body back into the mode of making milk. She won't be on medication for her infection for very long so she can just pump and dump until she is free of the offending meds. She should talk to her doctor and a lactation consultant about how she can best get her own milk supply back. This is by far not impossible for her to do.

She may also want to check into breast milk banks. Other women supply the milk to the banks (kind of like a blood bank) and her doctor (probably pediatrician) can order the milk. This method is used when babies are allergic to most forms of formula. Not a cheap alternative, but it's better than the baby suffering.

Hope you all find the best solution very soon.

Closed Thread