It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2010, 07:01 AM   #1
(female)

rainbow fish HB User
Sleep Help - Not Cry it out

My son is nine months old and had been sleeping pretty well (only waking up once or twice in the night). He had diahrea for a couple weeks so I couldn't just wait and see if he would put himself back to sleep like I used to. I had to change him. Now he is over the diahrea but getting up almost every hour and not putting himself back to sleep because he is used to having me there. Does anyone have any advice other than simply letting him cry it out.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-02-2010, 10:22 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

justmel30 HB User
Re: Sleep Help - Not Cry it out

Of course a little reassurance doesnt hurt. It's ok to go in there and make sure there is nothing wrong, give him a hug and a kiss, but other then that, crying it out is the only way he is going to relearn to put himself to sleep. Otherwise, he is allways going to be dependant on you to do it. Perhaps if you started a bit of a ritual to start with.....ie....do you have a rocking chair in his room? if you do, you may try getting him that last bottle, sitting in his room, quietly rocking him while feeding and read him a story. This may make him a little more sleepy and ready to lay down. Also, try to cut his nap times down a little during the day so he's a little more crabby and sleepy at night. I'm a mom of 3, and I didnt have the nerve to let the first one cry it out. He was 3 before he started sleeping through the night without a need from me. The next two kids I let cry it out and they were sleeping through the night in no time.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-02-2010, 08:06 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

marisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB User
Re: Sleep Help - Not Cry it out

I agree with the last post..... cry it out is the only thing that's worked for my 3 as well.

HOWEVER....

Make sure your son isn't teething, and that his ears are okay before doing any CIO. Crying hourly at night is a good sign that something else is bothering your son enough to wake him throughout the night.

If he's teething, ibuprofen and teething tablets can work wonders, as well as elevating his mattress a bit.

Good luck!

Closed Thread