It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2010, 04:53 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

worrywort HB Userworrywort HB Userworrywort HB User
Red face Need help!

I need my daughter to start taking formula, She is 6 months and only breastfed. I have postpartum depression really bad and need to go on meds, I have been advised to stop breastfeeding first. I also have a umbilical Hernia that is hopefully going to get fixed and Can't breastfeed for that either. I have tried and she won't take it! I am not sure what to try because my first was weened by 5 months with not much of a problem!
I have been o.k. Have panic attacks really bad and feel really down, ocd bad also, I am not in danger of harming myself or others just need my sanity back.

Old 03-08-2010, 06:48 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

justmel30 HB User
Re: Need help!

First of all, I am no doctor, and certainly your doc knows your history better then anyone here. However, did they happen to say what medecine they wanted to put you on? The reason for the question is because I suffered post partum really bad with my first, and my second. Both times they ended up putting me on zoloft, and I was just fine to breast feed and about 5 days later I was feeling much better. With my third child they actually started me on it about 2 weeks before I gave birth so that I wouldnt go through it and I have to say, it was a night and day difference. I felt just fine after I had the baby. No crying, no depression or anger or mood swings. I had to stay on it each time for 3 months, and then I was able to go off of it. I would get a second opinion on the med type or whether or not it is really necessary to give up breastfeeding if it's something you dont really want to do. However, if your ok with giving it up, be patient. They get hungry eventually and will eat. It might help to try dipping the nipple in something flavorful, ie sugar or juice. Just to give it a little flavor to promote them to suckle on it. Also, you could try a different shaped nipple as opposed to the generic baby bottle. One that feels more like the natural shapr of a breast. Make sure you still keep the baby close to the skin, it will make them still feel closer to you. Hope that helps.
Melissa

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread