It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2010, 09:43 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

myloathe HB User
Unhappy Breastfed newborn that won't burp! (and pukes, and pukes, and pukes)

My DS is 7 weeks old, breastfed only. He has never been a good burper (probably burps 20% of the time!) and I'm thinking this is the reason he is puking constantly. The doc did an ultrasound on his belly (it showed nothing)and put him on Zantac in case there's stomach irritation, but I'm really thinking him not burping is the cause. The crazy part is that this started all of a sudden around week 3 out of the blue. He's not, by any means, missing out on the nutrients needed to grow (he was 5lbs 13oz when born, now is almost 9lbs!), but I'm just sick of all of the puking. It's overkill. Has anyone else gone thru this? Anything I need to be trying?

BTW- he also usually falls asleep when he's eating at the breast. He should still be burping in his sleep right, because he rarely does?

Old 03-31-2010, 09:02 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

marisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB User
Re: Breastfed newborn that won't burp! (and pukes, and pukes, and pukes)

My first was the exact same way. It didn't matter what we tried, she hardly burped and she spit up all the time! BUT, she was healthy and happy (her doctor called her a "happy spitter"). We did the zantac to prevent irritation too, but it didn't stop her from spitting! I even tried pumping into a bottle and adding rice cereal to add some weight to what she was eating, but that didn't do anything but make the spit up nastier! SO, we just learned to carry extra clothes and burpies, and I started buying coordinating bibs for all of her outfits so she was at least well accessorized....

Unfortunately, she didn't grow out of it until she was somewhere between 10-12 months old, so if yours is like mine, it might be something you just have to get used to!

Oh, and I found receiving blankets work great as a mommy protector, too! I almost always had a receiving blanket thrown over one shoulder to keep my clothes protected from the frequent eruptions (it doesn't hurt to keep a spare shirt in the car for you, too)!

Anyway, as long as your baby seems happy and content and is growing and developing right, the spitting might just be something you live with until he grows out of it!

Sorry I can't be of more help, but at least it won't last forever!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-31-2010, 11:45 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

kittyroo HB User

My son never, ever burped in his sleep. We *always* had to burp him for a good thirty minutes *at least* in order to get a good burp. Even then he spit up constantly. I think thats just what babies do. The spitting up tapered off at 10 to 12 months or so.

Old 04-01-2010, 09:34 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

The only thing I can think of to try is whenyou are nursing him, make sure that he isn't laying flat in your lap. Have him at an angle. This is how I used to teach my lamze students. If you hold him at a say 45 degree angle, he won't take in as much air when he nurses, the milk will flow straight down in so there is less chance of the spitting up.

But for all of this, my son and wife still had a colic-y little one. She is now 6 months and has finally quit with the spitting up.

Old 04-01-2010, 08:45 PM   #5
(female)

kittenkaboodle HB User

My son was exactly the same... I felt like I could have written your post exactly. My son was also small at birth (4 lbs, 10 oz) and grew like crazy in the first few weeks.

Unfortunately, we didn't manage to find a good solution. He grew out of it a little earlier than the other posters... around 4 months. We just really had to commit to burping him really well or at least as well as we could. We never tried to burp him if he fell asleep while nursing - my motto was to never wake a sleeping baby!

One suggestion - could you try breaking the nursing session several times to try burping in between? If you can get the gas bubbles out before a lot of milk gets on top of them, then he may not spit up all the milk when the bubble comes up?

Good luck to you - you're definately not alone!

Kitten

Old 04-01-2010, 09:22 PM   #6
(female)

rose4me HB Userrose4me HB User

My first baby was the spitting champion. She could hurl across the room. It was awful and so much to get used to. I breast fed her as well. Amazingly, the spitting up, seemed to bother only myself and her dad. We learned to arm ourselves with changes of clothing, for her and us, as well as baby blankets for mass coverage. Sometimes the blankets helped and sometimes - not enough coverage. I tried every conceivable way to burp her and even that didn't calm her tummy for the spitting up. Yet she thrived.
My second baby , a daughter as well, spit up far less. What I would now consider normal or perhaps a more desireable amount. The only way that I could burp her though, was to get up and walk with her tummy resting on my shoulder ... Awkward, but it worked and nothing else did - exhausting for sure, all those feedings in the wee hours and early morning hours. Both my daughters are 21 and 18 now. Somehow they survived my newness to parenting and their unconventional ways of being babies. I had friends, whose children, ate, burped and slept on wonderful schedules. Not mine. and yet they are wonderful young adults.
Hang in there
Rose

Old 04-16-2010, 09:34 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

WhiskersOnKittens HB User

I haven't read all the replies but one thing that came to mind when I read your post was that breastfed babies have considerably less gas than bottle fed babies (because their seal at the breast is much tighter), so your lo really may not have all that much gas.
Allergies might be something to consider with a baby who vomits so much. Many babies are sensitive to dairy, so that would be a place to start. My first ds vomitted upwards of 5 times daily before we found out that he had a milk allergy, and he was reacting to the dairy in my diet.
Anyway, something to think about. FYI, if you decide to try taking it from your diet to see if there`s an improvement, you`ll want to give it a good trial period before throwing in the towel. It can take up to 6 weeks to be COMPLETELY out of your system (not in most cases however), therefore for baby to stop having symptoms.
Good luck!
Our newest bundle, Brody Anderson! - February 09'

Old 04-22-2010, 06:45 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

justmel30 HB User

I agree that it could possibly be an allergy. My second son was very fussy after feedings and would spit up all the time. He was difficult to burp and allways seemed uncomfortable. After trying EVERYTHING, I finally decided I would try soy and maybe have to give up nursing. I noticed a difference after the first bottle. He burped right away, fell asleep, no crying, no fussyness, no gas.......just perfectly content. I never breast fed him again and there was never a problem after that. Also, I with my third baby, I tried to breastfeed but I just didn't make enough milk. He was ok with breast milk but not formula. So again, I switched over to soy and after the first bottle, there were no more problems. And the greatest part about it was they all prefered the cheepest brand I could find at walmart! Go figure. So I would say just give it a try. I would say you should no after one or two feedings whether or not it is making a difference. It was definately that much of a dramatic noticeable difference for my babies. And remember, never shake a bottle to mix the formula, stir it. Good luck!
Melissa

Old 04-22-2010, 08:20 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

WhiskersOnKittens HB User

I just wanted to add that up to 75% of babies who have milk protein allergies (which is what most commercial infant formulas are made of) will also have soy protein allergies. Not all will of course. My first ds also had a milk protein allergy, but was fine with soy. But ds2 couldn't tolerate either.
Oh, and I definitely wouldn't suggest you give up breastfeeding. It is the best thing you can do for an allergy babe (or any babe for that matter ), so please don't give up because things are rocky right now! If you did, and your baby ended up being allergic to dairy AND soy, you'd have to shell out a ton for hypoallergenic formulas, which btw, taste HORRIBLE.
And I just wanted to reiterate that it can take a few weeks before seeing results if you decide to eliminate certain components from your diet. Stick with the breastfeeding! You'll be glad you did (and so will your baby)!
Our newest bundle, Brody Anderson! - February 09'

Closed Thread