It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2010, 12:37 PM   #1
(female)

nicolei1979 HB User
My 12 month old won't eat!!!!

My 12 month old baby boy won't eat more than 5 bites of food. He used to be a real good eater but in the past week (week and a half) he hasn't been eating good at all. He will take about 5 bites and then swat the spoon out of my hand or spit the food out. I don't know what to do, I want to make sure he's getting enough food so he can continue to grow!!! He will eat puffs and that's about it.

Here's his eating schedule:
8 am: bowl of cereal & some yogurt
10 am: 8oz bottle
12 pm: meat, veggie, & fruit
3 pm: 8 oz bottle
4:30 pm: snack (puffs)
7:00 pm bowl of cereal
8:00 8oz bottle

Has anyone else been through this?? What should I do?? Is he not eating because he is cutting more teeth?? (He is always sticking his fingers in his mouth when he's done eating the few bites he'll eat)

I am so frustrated and don't know what to do!!!! Please HELP!!!
Dominic Helge born Aug 3, 2009

Old 07-29-2010, 12:38 PM   #2
(female)

nicolei1979 HB User
Re: My 12 month old won't eat!!!!

Oh and I've tried giving him bites of what I'm eating and he spits that out as well...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-29-2010, 01:43 PM   #3
(female)

Basswife HB UserBasswife HB User

[QUOTE=nicolei1979;4297120]My 12 month old baby boy won't eat more than 5 bites of food. He used to be a real good eater but in the past week (week and a half) he hasn't been eating good at all. He will take about 5 bites and then swat the spoon out of my hand or spit the food out. I don't know what to do, I want to make sure he's getting enough food so he can continue to grow!!! He will eat puffs and that's about it.

Here's his eating schedule:
8 am: bowl of cereal & some yogurt
10 am: 8oz bottle
12 pm: meat, veggie, & fruit
3 pm: 8 oz bottle
4:30 pm: snack (puffs)
7:00 pm bowl of cereal
8:00 8oz bottle
QUOTE]

Hi,
He's not hungry, you need to loose the 10am and 3pm bottles. When weaning the bottles and the food work together. As baby matures the bottle then becomes like an extra meal. So the routene you have he has outgrown. It was a brilliant weaning schedule, but baby is past that now and he needs to drop the milk. Is is cows milk yet? He's old enough, maybe give it to him in small amounts in a beaker cup.
I would also try just finger food in the evening too. So give him his snack, then about half 5 / 6pm make his some simple sandwhiches, or cooked pasta to feed himself.
If he goes to bed at 8 then your expecting him to eat very late in his day. That can make us feel bloated and not want to eat.

I would say that you've set up and excellent routene, but it needs adjusting. Keep the main meal at midday as this is best nutritionally for him. Loose the millk, and see what happens.

Most children get fussy with their food at 2. My boy did! Try changing the routene first if there are still issues then I have more tips!

Old 07-29-2010, 02:08 PM   #4
(female)

nicolei1979 HB User

Thanks for the suggestion!!! I never even thought that he is outgrowing the bottles and is full!!! I've been so used to him eating & eating... I will try that and see how it goes!!! Thanks again!!

No, it is still formula... I was going to buy some whole milk this week when getting groceries, and start giving him that. He is drinking water in a sippy cup throughout the day, so I think he'll take to the milk in a cup (at least I hope he will)

Thanks Again!!!

Old 07-29-2010, 03:25 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

marisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB User

I agree that his schedule needs a bit of tweaking, but I'm not sure that's what would be making him not eat.... I'd bet he's cutting his 1 year molars. That will cause a loss of appetite, and hand chewing (it would also explain why he'd be more interested in eating puffs and not the mushy stuff you're giving him).

BUT, his schedule should be tweaked a bit. I'd cut him down to 6 ounces of milk at a time, and change when you give it to him. Like I'd give him milk with his breakfast, and dinner. Water for lunch, but then milk at naptime. You can try a cup, but don't be surprised if he doesn't take it. Even when they take juice or water in a cup without a problem, a lot of kids just don't like milk in a sippy cup, for some reason.

I agree with Basswife, that he should be eating finger foods more. This will motivate him to want to eat, because kids LOVE the independence of feeding themselves!

Closed Thread