It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2011, 07:30 AM   #1
(male)

bobnorth HB User
6 week old slow developing

Concerned grandfather here about my 6 week old grandson...at birth he needed phototherapy for jaundice and bilirubin level as high as 20mg for one day, and was induced 2 weeks early at 9 pounds. He was released when it decresed to 13 and lower and his color was normal. In all respects he seems normal; maybe sleeps more than normal, but the thing that bothers me is that his vision doesn't follow objects or faces. He does turn his head normally and looks over shoulders, etc. I don't know what his Apgar score was. Weight is increasing well. It's just that at 6 weeks I'd expect some interaction by now. I don't want to freak out yet. Any input on this?

Old 01-07-2011, 10:49 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: 6 week old slow developing

He may be 6 weeks to you but he's really 4 weeks as he was 2 weeks early. That's how they chart his progress. So you need to remember to lower your expectations for a few months till he catches up. The doctors will be monitoring him more closely as a result.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-07-2011, 10:59 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

lovemybabyboys HB User

I may be wrong, but i thought they didn't do the ages like that unless they were premature. Because my son was born at 36 weeks, which is considered preterm, but not preime, so our doctors followed and asked guestions according to his true age, not 4 weeks less. ???
I wouldn't be alarmed yet. He is still young, while some children his age are smiling, others are just begining to follow faces. It is something i would definitely keep a watch on, and if he's still not in a few weeks, then maybe ask the dr.

Old 01-08-2011, 01:48 PM   #4
(female)

Basswife HB UserBasswife HB User

Full term is now 37 weeks, the 2 weeks early should not have made a difference, but if baby was poorly it might make a difference. Also remember some babies develop slower. It might be worth just trying to find out without expressing any concerns whether they have any follow up apts for him with a doctor. By six weeks baby should be turning to noises, have a social smile and following someone with their eyes. BUT all babies develop at different rates. Keep an eye on him and just see how it goes, unfortunatly thats all you can do at the moment. Don't panic yet, but keep watching.

Closed Thread