It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2011, 02:21 PM   #1
(female)

afeneis HB User
HELP! My 8 month old refuses food!

My 8 month old daughter absolutely refuses to eat anything other than formula. I have tried it all- sweet potatoes, squash, peas, applesauce, rice cereal....everything! The minute that spoon is close to her face she literally loses her mind and freaks out. You would think I was sticking bamboo shoots under her fingernails. She won't even drink unflavored Pedialite. NOTHING! What should I do!?!?!

Old 01-17-2011, 02:24 PM   #2
(female)

Imarealpill HB UserImarealpill HB User
Re: HELP! My 8 month old refuses food!

Quote:
Originally Posted by afeneis View Post
My 8 month old daughter absolutely refuses to eat anything other than formula. I have tried it all- sweet potatoes, squash, peas, applesauce, rice cereal....everything! The minute that spoon is close to her face she literally loses her mind and freaks out. You would think I was sticking bamboo shoots under her fingernails. She won't even drink unflavored Pedialite. NOTHING! What should I do!?!?!
Don't worry; she will eat when she is hungry enuf.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-19-2011, 09:36 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

marisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB User

Was she eating before and suddenly refuses to eat? If that's the case, I'd check for teething or sore throat pains.

If this is the first time you are offering food, it might just take a lot of time and patience to get her used to the idea. You could try putting cereal in her bottles....

They also have feeding bottles that you can put baby food in. I've never tried them, but I hear they're nice to have....

good luck!

Last edited by marisuela; 01-19-2011 at 09:37 PM.

Old 01-20-2011, 11:19 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

pupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB User

My DD didn't like to be spoon fed.

I ended up giving her soft foots she could mush up.

Tofu-cubed she lived on it. (I've never even tried it)

She might just want to feed herself

Pup

Old 02-09-2011, 08:46 PM   #5
(female)

khrm HB User

I would back off. Until babies are a year old, food is just for fun/practice. There is no reason she needs to be eating food at this point. She is obviously telling you she is not ready.

I agree with pupcake about giving her regular, soft food. Some babies don't take well to be being spoon fed (which makes sense as you probably wouldn't want someone else shoving food in your mouth and not really being able to regulate it). My sister never did purees with my nephew but went straight to soft foods that the baby could pick up and feed herself. If you look up baby led solids, you will find a lot of information. She might take to that better or at least have the opportunity to explore and feel the foods and textures which is what it is about at her age.

Other than that, I would just relax. She is still so young, I wouldn't be worried at this point as long as she is drinking her formula well.

Closed Thread