my sister watched a child safety program yesterday and was quite alarmed to find out that baby oil can kill small children. a parent on the show lost a child this way...the child got into the oil and covered in it and died later that night. neither of us had either heard this before. i looked it up online and this is what i found out about it. maybe people already know about this but i thought i should pass it on just in case!!!
“Who would ever think that a product made for babies could also kill them? Unfortunately, baby oil—a staple of the nursery—contains hydrocarbons that can be deadly. If children aspirate baby oil, their lungs become coated with the oil. This blocks oxygen and prevents proper respiration, ultimately leading to chemical pneumonia.
To keep little hands from opening baby oil bottles, store baby oil where your child can't reach it. For further safety, childproof caps on baby oil bottles will be mandatory starting in October 2002; Target stores currently carry childproof caps on their baby oil.
Be aware that other household items, like some sunscreens and automotive products, may also contain liquid hydrocarbons. Always check package ingredients and keep toxins away from children.”
the child safety show was on oprah. there was also a recall on a jelly candy...i'll post that here too...
"It's a seemingly harmless-looking treat, yet it's been reported that a type of gel-like candy has killed at least 21 children over the last few years. According to Dr. Steve Galson of the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), gel candy is dangerous for two reasons: its plug-like shape poses a choking risk, and a binding ingredient called konjack doesn't dissolve in the mouth. The FDA recently issued many recalls and an import alert for gel candy. Still, the candy remains on store shelves across the country.
Look for gel candies with konjack in them. Konjack is spelled many different ways, including konjac, conjac, kanjac, yam flour, glucomannan, konnyaaku and konnyaku. Still, Galson points out, the name isn't always listed on the package. If you find gel candies at your local grocery or drugstore, talk to the store manager"
My sister watched that show and called me right away. She also warned me of the dangers of allowing the kids to dig deep holes at the beach. If the sand begins to cave in it can kill children in as little as 3-5 minutes. And it's not as easy as you'd think to redig the hole.
Great idea to post the info on baby oil. I personally don't use it but it's good info to have.
Anyone else heard of dangerous products or activities to share?
wow, i'm glad you told me that about baby powder! i use a lot of baby powder(on me...don't have baby to use it on YET). i have been using the cornstarch one of late because my sister gave me a huge bottle of it. i'll be sure and get that kind from now on.
My husband is big on being healthy, he has problems breathing and hates takeing in any sort of chemicals in to his lungs or body. He told me that baby shampoos, lotions, and oils were the worst things for them because all the stuff in the is abosbed by the skin. He also told me that some how artificial smells, perfums, bath gels, exc were taken in to the skin to and deteroits the bodys ammuin system. I thought he was nuts untill I got pregnant and perfumes make me sick to my stomach when I smell them, even burn my throught. Also, for some reason, out of the blue, my dad started passing out because of perfumes and strong smells. Why? No one knows. So I just play it safe and use my instinct, if im not sure if its good for me and my baby, i dont do it. I stoped wearing all perfume and lotions and avoid it as much as possable.