It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2011, 08:37 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

rbettis HB User
My 15 month old refuses to eat!

Hi, I hope someone can help me. My 15 month old does not want to eat anything but bottles of milk . I used to make beef, chicken soups with a lot of vegetables, pasta etc, pure it and feed her. She used to eat so good. Then we gradually moved her to spaghetti, avocados, etc. She has been more independent than my 3 1/2 year old which still wants to be food spooned. She also does not want to eat, but by given it to her she eats more. Makaela (15 months old) has never liked when we spoon feed her. She likes when we put the food on the plate and she feeds herself. Well, now even that has stopped. She throws the plate on the floor with food and all . This has been going on for about 3 months already. I am very worry. I don't know if I need to take her to the Dr, but I know all they are going to tell me is that I need to make her eat somehow. The only way I see it happening is if I make her or force her to eat and I don't want to do that .

She does look healthy and has energy, but she has not gained weight and she is a tiny baby per se.

Any advice?

Old 03-27-2011, 03:14 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Brocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB User
Re: My 15 month old refuses to eat!

I would talk to the doctor about getting a referral to see an occupational therapist who specializes in feeding problems. Sounds like BOTH of your children could benefit from a consultation. The OT can help get to the bottom of the problem and offer some solutions.

Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-28-2011, 12:39 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

rbettis HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brocallie View Post
I would talk to the doctor about getting a referral to see an occupational therapist who specializes in feeding problems. Sounds like BOTH of your children could benefit from a consultation. The OT can help get to the bottom of the problem and offer some solutions.

Good luck.
Thanks for your reply... You know, I will take them both.

Old 03-28-2011, 09:05 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

marisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB User

Have you checked to see if she's cutting her molars? Between 12-15 months, it's perfectly normal for a child to stop wanting to eat, due to teething. Molars can be rough on some babies! You might not see teeth coming in, but if she's drooling a lot more than usual, chewing on random things (more than usual baby chewing), refusing to eat.... those can all be signs that molars are coming in.

Ibuprofen and/or teething tablets work wonders on a teething baby's appetite (just give it time to kick in before attempting to feed again).

Frozen peas are an excellent snack for a teething baby. The cold and hardness of the peas are soothing on sore gums, and of course, it's a green vegetable of sorts. I also like putting cheerios into the fridge and serving them cold.

Also, I wouldn't give her a plate at all. I'd put just a handful at a time (or less) on the table or tray. Way less messy that way!

As far as your older child, I would guess she likes being spoon fed, because it means more time spent with you. Try taking turns with her. You feed her 2-3 bites and then give her the spoon for her turn to feed herself 1 bite. The trick is, don't really give her a lot of attention while you feed her.... act completely uninterested. Have a book opened or the tv on or the computer in front of you, and pretend to be more interested in that. But when it's her turn, praise her like crazy! Tell her how big she is, and how she's not a baby like her sister, and how proud you are, and.... well, just really go overboard with it. Then take the spoon back again for your turn. Feed her 2-3 more bites (totally preoccupied and uninterested) and then give her another turn for 1 bite. Again, go overboard with the praise. Do this for a couple of meals, increasing how many bites she is "allowed" to do by herself, but don't give her full control for a day or so. Pretty soon, she'll by dying to show you that she is big and can do it all by herself!

Closed Thread