It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2011, 03:05 PM   #1
(female)

KDK HB User
3 month old spitting up blood

Yesterday I noticed my daughter's spit up had blood in it. It was a very small amount and bright red. My first thought was that she had cut her mouth so I grabbed a flashlight but couldn't find any cuts. Her behaviour hadn't changed - she was still her happy self so I decided to wait and see. Later on her spit up was it's normal white color with a little hint of red in it.

After waking from a two hour nap she spit up a rather large amount and it was bright red. She didn't have a fever and her behaviour was still normal. The doctors office was closed by now so to be on the safe side I took her to the ER. The doctor who checked her out didn't seem worried - he thinks it may be from my breasts bleeding. While they are sore, they are not chapped, cracked, or bleeding. I tried to express some milk and it has no signs of blood either. Has anyone ever had this problem before?

This morning her spit up is back to normal, I see no signs of blood. But her stool has gone from yellow to a very dark green/brown.. almost black.. has anyone ever had this happen before? I don't know if it could be from her taking in blood from my breastmilk or if it is a sign that something is wrong inside of her..

Old 09-22-2011, 03:18 PM   #2
(female)

momoftrio HB Usermomoftrio HB Usermomoftrio HB Usermomoftrio HB User
Re: 3 month old spitting up blood

Have you introduced any solids yet or is she strictly breastmilk? If she is strictly nursing, at her age , her stools would stay a pretty consistent yellowish color.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-22-2011, 03:22 PM   #3
(female)

KDK HB User

She is strictly nursing. And up til now her stools have always been a mustardy yellow color...

Old 09-22-2011, 03:26 PM   #4
(female)

How many movements has she had that have been a darker color? Is she putting her hands to her mouth ? Curious as to if she could have swallowed something possibly ? I think that if she was to be taking in blood from your breast , and then spitting it back up , that it would not be a bright color ! I would also doubt that a small amount of blood from nursing would change her stool color completely. I would seriously think about bringing her in to her pediatrician .

Old 09-22-2011, 03:34 PM   #5
(female)

KDK HB User

She has had about 3-4 bm's each one getting darker.. The doctor I saw lastnight in the ER told me because her spit up was bright red he thought it was from the breast and that if it was a dark brown color, like a coffee bean, then he would be worried that it was something inside her. But that was before her bm's changed color.. I am going to call the ped right now to be on the safe side, hopefully I can get in today since they close in an hour.. the only reason I came on here to ask was I didn't want to over re-act if it was just my breastmilk so I wanted to know if any other moms shared the same experience..

Old 09-22-2011, 03:38 PM   #6
(female)

totally not overreacting ! I can just tell you after nursing 3 children that I have never had that happen even when my breasts were bleeding. I did continue to feed with no problems on their part. Please keep me updated on how she is and I would demand she be seen especially since it is getting darker . Good luck and I wil be thinking about you both.

Old 09-24-2011, 12:15 PM   #7
(female)

KDK HB User

He did see her... he seems to think that blood vessels in her nose are bursting and instead of having nose bleeds it is going down the back of her throat and coming out in her spit up... neither doctor seems to be very concerned because everything else is fine... but something inside me is telling me I shouldn't stop worrying until it stops...

Old 07-31-2012, 09:37 AM   #8
(female)

Chrissy26 HB UserChrissy26 HB UserChrissy26 HB UserChrissy26 HB UserChrissy26 HB UserChrissy26 HB UserChrissy26 HB User

This is just my opinion but I think you should go back to the ER, say that it's happening again (even if it's not), and force them to do a sonogram on her chest and stomach. I say lie to them only because if you tell them it happened and then you saw the doctor at the ER and everything looked ok, they might not do any tests since she was already seen. But if you lie and say it happened again, they will have no choice but to start running some tests. I don't like that she bleeds when she spits up. It makes me think it's something with her stomach. It could be she has bad acid reflux and if she's not showing any signs of of it then it could be Silent Acid Reflux. My kids had acid reflux but I never saw blood. But everyone is different. I think you should take her back and demand a sonogram. About the stools, if God forbid something IS going on in her stomach, it may have something to do with her stools. Good luck to you and word of advice, always trust your instincts.

Old 07-11-2013, 12:30 AM   #9
(female)

JordanBaby HB User

KDK-- what a scary experience. I am going thru it myself right now. Bright red blood in spitup of my 4 month old, dark tiny flecks of blood in stool. No blood from my nipples. Did you ever find out what the cause of the blood in spitup was for your baby? Hope all is well.

Closed Thread