It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2011, 08:59 AM   #1
(male)

Chris46319 HB User
10 wk old will NOT take bottle or passifier.

I'm a stay-at-home dad of three. Wife had her first day back at work today after maternity leave. We have been battling this problem for a few weeks now with very little results. We didn't have the problem with the first 2 kids. The new one is very strong-willed. She absolutely refuses a bottle and passifier. She nurses very well. We have tried latex and silicone nipples, breast, goat (more on that if you're interested), and cow milk. Wife has been gone since 6:30am and works over an hour away. It's now 11:00 and she has taken less than 1/2 ounce. she has a GREAT set of lungs and is an excellent squirmer. The minute she even sees the bottle she begins to get uncomfortable. I have also even tried a medicine eyedropper with no luck.

Any advice? Anything at all?

Old 10-04-2011, 09:40 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

marisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB User
Re: 10 wk old will NOT take bottle or passifier.

Do you have any idea if your wife had a fast or slow let down? I assume she breast fed exclusively for the time she was home? My only thought is perhaps the milk is coming out too fast or too slow for your baby? If it's coming out slower than she is used to, she might be getting frustrated that she isn't getting it fast enough.... same if it's coming out too fast....

Have you tried varying the speed of the flow? Using a slow, medium, or fast flow nipple? My youngest hated the bottle until we got the flow right. We tried several different bottles, several different nipples and flow types before we found the one she liked best. She was happiest with the playtex nurser, and a medium flow nipple.... and she still prefers that combo, even at 13 months old!

I can understand your frustration! They're never quite the same, are they? My oldest did great with plain old gerber bottles and parents choice (walmart brand) bottles. My 2nd started on playtex nursers with a slow flow and then went on to gerber and parents choice bottles when she got a little older. My 3rd didn't care for playtex nursers much. She liked a tri-flow nipple (can't remember who made it, sorry!), set at slow flow, and kept that preference until after she was a year old, then moved up to medium flow.

Anyway, that's all I can think of to try. Hope it helps!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-04-2011, 09:46 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

JanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB User

Many babies refuse to feed from breast and bottle. The answer might have to be to wean baby from the breast and exclusively bottle feed.

You can however, feed baby from a small cup. Hold the baby upright as possible, tilt the container to the baby's lips, placing the edge of the cup at the outer corners of baby's upper lip, resting gently on the lower lip with the tongue inside the cup. (Some babies may prefer their tongue under the lip of the cup.) Leave the cup in position during the feed (do not move the cup from this position).

Do not pour the milk into the baby's mouth. The baby will usually lap the milk, or may sip it. It doesn't take much, so go easy!

Allow the baby time to swallow before offering more.

Let your baby to set the pace for the feedings, but stop after about 30 minutes so that baby will not become overly tired or stressed.

Old 10-05-2011, 04:57 AM   #4
(male)

Chris46319 HB User

Today is "home alone" with baby day 3. Mon and Tues weren't impossible, just difficult. Combine learning the feeding schedule combined with refusal of taking a bottle made for a rough few days. I have tried several different nipples, an eyedropper, cup, etc. with very little success. I have had luck with mixing milk (breast or goat) with cereal and making a paste a bit thinner than toothpaste and she will suck that off the spoon. Once she gets going with that she will then take one or two sucks off a bottle with a latex nipple. That's about it. Her last breast feeding was at 6am so I'm going to see what 10:00 looks like. Maybe work on the bottle a bit more today.

Old 10-05-2011, 08:10 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Hi, I think your baby prefers the breast! The only way you're going to get her to take a bottle is to stop the breast.

Pardon me from mentioning this, but she's too young to be having anything other than milk. I know it's very difficult for you, but she will take a bottle if you stop the breast.

She should only be having expressed breast milk or proper forumula feeds, goats milk isn't right for her.

Old 10-05-2011, 09:04 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

marisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB User

Have you experimented with temperature? Some babies prefer warmer milk, while others prefer it slightly cooler.... just another thought I had.... hang in there! She'll get it eventually.

Out of curiosity, why haven't you tried formula? I know breast is best, but wouldn't formula rank a bit over cow or goat milk? I have never done any research on cow or goat milk with babies, but I do know formula is a good option, as long as it's made properly! There have been so many formula recalls, that's a scary route, I know!

Old 10-05-2011, 09:46 AM   #7
(male)

Chris46319 HB User

At risk of shocking anyone I will try to explain my reasoning for goats milk. When my other 2 kids were infants they were both allergic to formula and cows milk and my wife dried up too quick since she went back to work and had a difficult time pumping. My youngest kept developing breathing problems requiring the use of steroids and stays at the hospital.

Upon talking to our family nutritionist and doing LOTS of research we decided to try goats milk. Not just the store bought kind but straight from the CLEAN and WELL MAINTAINED goat farm. No pastuerization. No homoginization. No additives. No hormones. No nothing. Well, it did the trick. Both my kids took to it right away. It was very expensive, requiring us to buy a heard-share of goats. A gallon of goats milk costs us $13.00. My older 2 kids (7 and 3) are no longer on the goats milk and are doing well on cow milk. We still limit cow milk but otherwise they are doing great.

We were given a hard time by both our pediatrician as well as the good doctors at Children's Memorial in Chicago. However, once they saw the results they better understood.

Think of it this way... A cow produces milk to feed another cow / calf. That calf at birth weighs in at 50+ pounds. A human infant weighs about 7 pounds. A baby goat weighs about 9 or 10 pounds. Plus, under a microscope, goats milk is much more molecularly similar to that of human breast milk.

As far as the pasteurization and homoginization goes, pasteurization not only kills off bad bacteria but it also kills off good bacteria. That good bacteria is very important in infant development. We certainly wouldn't go out and get milk from some nasty old goat in a barn somewhere. We were very selective and did a TON of research before we made this decision. Also, before pasteurization was invented millions of people drank milk every day for hundreds of years.

I have so much more to say about the subject but I don't want to stand on the soapbox too long. There are bound to be critics and I accept that. I can only tell you what I have read and personally experienced.

Old 10-05-2011, 09:19 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris46319 View Post
At risk of shocking anyone I will try to explain my reasoning for goats milk. When my other 2 kids were infants they were both allergic to formula and cows milk and my wife dried up too quick since she went back to work and had a difficult time pumping. My youngest kept developing breathing problems requiring the use of steroids and stays at the hospital.

Upon talking to our family nutritionist and doing LOTS of research we decided to try goats milk. Not just the store bought kind but straight from the CLEAN and WELL MAINTAINED goat farm. No pastuerization. No homoginization. No additives. No hormones. No nothing. Well, it did the trick. Both my kids took to it right away. It was very expensive, requiring us to buy a heard-share of goats. A gallon of goats milk costs us $13.00. My older 2 kids (7 and 3) are no longer on the goats milk and are doing well on cow milk. We still limit cow milk but otherwise they are doing great.

We were given a hard time by both our pediatrician as well as the good doctors at Children's Memorial in Chicago. However, once they saw the results they better understood.

Think of it this way... A cow produces milk to feed another cow / calf. That calf at birth weighs in at 50+ pounds. A human infant weighs about 7 pounds. A baby goat weighs about 9 or 10 pounds. Plus, under a microscope, goats milk is much more molecularly similar to that of human breast milk.

As far as the pasteurization and homoginization goes, pasteurization not only kills off bad bacteria but it also kills off good bacteria. That good bacteria is very important in infant development. We certainly wouldn't go out and get milk from some nasty old goat in a barn somewhere. We were very selective and did a TON of research before we made this decision. Also, before pasteurization was invented millions of people drank milk every day for hundreds of years.

I have so much more to say about the subject but I don't want to stand on the soapbox too long. There are bound to be critics and I accept that. I can only tell you what I have read and personally experienced.
Very interesting, thank you for sharing that. I have heard things here and there about goat's milk, but have never really looked into it. I wish more doctors would explore other alternatives rather than take bribes from formula companies to push their garbage! Sorry.... not all formula is garbage, but given all the recalls over just the past couple of years.... it's just scary what doctors expect us to give our babies! I have always gone the walmart brand formula route, until my last baby.... the first bottle we gave her had little brown specks in it. We found out it was burned bits of formula that somehow slipped by their inspection/sterilization process and got into the formula. The company acted like it wasn't a big deal (they did ask us to mail in the formula - they sent a mailer so we didn't have to pay shipping - so they could analyze it, and they sent us a refund, plus the cost of replacing the formula), but my biggest worry was if little burned bits could slip in, what else could slip in???

ANYWAY.... we switched to Target brand formula and haven't had any problems since then.

I think if your gut tells you this is what is best for your baby, and experience has shown that it works, then why not?

Old 10-06-2011, 04:13 AM   #9
(male)

Chris46319 HB User

We have tried the quick formula once or twicw. I forget the name but it was in the care kit the hospital gave us. It's a ready-to-eat bottle that just needs to be warmed.

I do know she likes her meals to be a bit on the warm side. So far it has been three days and just yesterday she took a couple of medicine droppers full of breast milk. She actually sucked the milk from the dropper. Making progress.

Old 10-06-2011, 04:21 AM   #10
Inactive
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris46319 View Post
We have tried the quick formula once or twicw. I forget the name but it was in the care kit the hospital gave us. It's a ready-to-eat bottle that just needs to be warmed.

I do know she likes her meals to be a bit on the warm side. So far it has been three days and just yesterday she took a couple of medicine droppers full of breast milk. She actually sucked the milk from the dropper. Making progress.

You must be careful or she'll get dehydrated. Is she having plenty of wet diapers?

Old 10-06-2011, 04:41 AM   #11
(male)

Chris46319 HB User

Yes, diapers are wet. I am making her cereal a bit runny. It ends up being VERY messy requiring a trip to the bath for a quick wipedown. I definitely know the dangers of dehydration and I'm trying so very hard not to let that happen. So far she seems to be doing relatively well.

Old 10-07-2011, 10:07 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

I think the best thing you can do is just keep offering the bottle at each feeding.... and pick one type of bottle and stick with it (since she hates all of them, go with the one you like best). Then supplement with the eye dropper if/when you have to. Eventually she will give up and take the bottle.... maybe not happily at first, but she'll get used to it.

Another thought I just had.... have you tried soaking the nipple in the warm milk for a minute or two just before you give her the bottle? Just unscrew the top and flip it over so it's resting in the milk for a couple of minutes. That might warm the nipple a bit and take away that initial silicone/latex taste. Just make sure you get it back on the bottle and into her mouth fairly quickly after you do it or it might be kind of pointless! It could work.... maybe.... heck, it's worth a try, anyway!

It sounds like she's in good hands. I have to say.... you're a brave man for staying home with your daughter!!! I know several dads who just cringe at the thought!

Last edited by marisuela; 10-07-2011 at 10:08 AM.

Old 10-07-2011, 10:24 AM   #13
(male)

Chris46319 HB User

Today was a better day. I had to resort to weighing her food so I knew better how much she was actually eating. This morning she took in about 3oz of cereal / breast milk. Since cereal doesn't weigh anything I can safely assume she had at least 3oz of milk. That was around 9:30am. She is hungry again now at 12:30 which I guess would be normal considering she doesn't really eat well to begin with.

As for being a brave man... Well, these are the circumstances God has given us and we have to make the very best of this time. I'm glad to be home but truthfully I would rather be working. I got laid-off and fortunately my wife does extremely well with her job.

Old 10-12-2011, 10:50 AM   #14
(male)

Chris46319 HB User

So I made it through last week nearly pulling what's left of my hair out by Friday. My wife spent the past weekend working with the baby taking the bottle. We FINALLY figured it out! It goes against my rational thinking but we fould that we have to almost completely restrain her. We need to hold both her arms and brace her head between my chest and forearm. It originally took about 5 minutes to get her to latch on but now it takes less than 10 seconds. Once she latches on we can ease up but not let go of her arms. She is taking both breast milk and goats milk very easily. We are using a silicone nipple and drop-in's. She likes her milk a bit on the warm side. Today she took 6oz at 10:00 then another 5oz at 12:30. I think she's going through a growth spurt.

Anyway, a big THANK YOU for all your input. It was greatly appreciated and I now have one happy baby.

Closed Thread