It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2011, 10:46 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

marisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB User
Help!

My 13 month old has labial adhesions. What the heck??? I've never heard of such a thing! I'm supposed to put estrogen cream on her once a day for two weeks, and have done for almost a week, but it doesn't seem to be making any difference at all, and putting estrogen on my baby is SCARY!!! Has anyone ever been through this with their babies?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-07-2011, 11:09 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

marisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB User
Re: Help!

Labial adhesions??? Anyone??? ......Anyone???

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-12-2011, 12:22 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Maybe you've heard of it but didn't know it was called labial adhesions? Where the skin of the labia grows together to "seal" up the vaginal opening? Supposedly it's fairly common in babies and young girls? Anyone???

Old 11-07-2011, 09:11 AM   #4
(female)

casey101 HB User

i have never heard of such a thing hmm.. that is scary i have 4 girls and not one has ever had that.. but im sure if they say its common it should be easy to deal with.. im sorry to hear about that and wish i had more too say

Old 11-07-2011, 02:07 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks for the response and support, Casey. I have 4 girls as well, plus I've worked with infants for years, and I've never heard of such a thing! I'm not one to freak out about things, but this one did kind of freak me out!

SO, for such a "normal" and "fairly common" occurrence, nobody I know has ever heard of this! The doctor just said to put a thin "ribbon" of estrogen cream on the sealed up part once a day and wait for it to open. That did NOT sit well with me, because I am terrified of using hormones on my baby (cancer is HUGE in my family!). BUT, after much research on the subject, it appeared that the only treatment was to leave it alone and hope it opens up on it's own, surgery (which seems to be counterproductive, because there's a huge percentage of the adhesions coming back), or the estrogen cream. Because of how high the adhesions went (close to her urinary opening), I chose the estrogen option.

So we used make-up q-tips, with the pointy applicator to apply the cream ONLY to the line where the skin was fused. I made sure it was only on that line and didn't go anywhere else, and the line of cream was almost exactly the same width and length of the line where her skin was fused (thanks to the pointy applicator!). We used the cream first thing in the morning with that first diaper change. With every diaper after that, I applied vaseline to the area and up at her urinary opening, to prevent that from fusing as well.

After a lot of research, I decided that when I applied the vaseline, I would use the pointy applicator and very gently rub it onto the line where her skin was fused.... I applied just the tiniest bit of pressure as I was applying the vaseline, to work it into the fusion line.... the goal being to work through the line and separate the skin.... BUT only applying the TINIEST bit of pressure, to very SLOWLY separate the skin.... like over a period of several weeks! It took a good 4 weeks before I saw any change at all!

We used the estrogen cream every day for 2 weeks, then we dropped down to every other day, and then every few days.... that was about 4 weeks. The day we saw there was actual progress being made, we quit using the cream and just stuck with the vaseline regimen. After another week or so, we saw an actual opening, and then within a couple of days she was all opened up again!

My doctor never mentioned massaging vaseline into the fusion, or anything. She just said put a "ribbon" of estrogen cream on my baby daily. I think it's the massaging with vaseline that actually made the difference! It's something I will definitely be mentioning the next time I see her!

I wrote all this in case anyone else has to go through this, because it is such a bad feeling when you have NO idea what to do for your baby!!!!!

Old 11-07-2011, 03:08 PM   #6
(female)

casey101 HB User

wow congratulations on taking the matter into your own hands and doing what felt right with you.. i too research alot im currently in my first year of getting my RN degree.. so im always researching things especially if i dont think it sounds right no matter what the doctor say. im very happy to hear that your baby is fine now thanks to the smart mommy she has i think its very great that you posted exactly what you did for anyone else who may need the information.. i would be so scared as well if i didnt know what to do with my girls

Old 11-07-2011, 04:15 PM   #7
(female)

momoftrio HB Usermomoftrio HB Usermomoftrio HB Usermomoftrio HB User

My youngest of 3 girls had this as well but hers was a very mild case. I was told to just keeo an eye on it and if it continued to fuse together more than the medicine you spoke about was what we would do but luckily hers turned out fine !

Closed Thread