It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2012, 06:53 PM   #1
(female)

maryann206 HB User
Trouble with my 5 week olds sleep patterns

I am a new mother to an adorable 5 week old son. Im having real difficulty keeping him awake during the day and getting him to stay asleep at night. Ive tried just about everything I can think of but all he wants to do is sleep all day and only sleep for half an hour at a time at night. I always try passing him around to other people at home, making noises with his toys taking him outside to see the sunshine and try to play with him, but it just doesnt work. Then at night he only drinks about half an ounce at a time and then drops off to sleep, then as soon as i try to move him to lay him down he wakes up. He does this several times before we can even get him to sleep for 30 minutes. We've tried doing a bath before bed and keep him awake as much as we possibly can in the day time but it just isnt working. Am I doing everything wrong? Am I a terrible mother?? Any advice would be helpful! Thanx.

Old 05-13-2012, 01:47 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User
Re: Trouble with my 5 week olds sleep patterns

Hello and welcome to the healthboards.

You are not a horrible mother by any means. While some parents can brag about their newborns sleeping through the night from a very early age, I would say the majority of us have the opposite experience.

At five weeks, babies are still very much on their own schedules. All you can do is exactly what you are doing. keep his schedule as regular as possible. it would be easier for you to adapt to his schedule, getting sleep when he does.

In time, he will find his way into your schedule. Until then, try and keep yourself as rested and relaxed as possible. Babies can sense when you are stressed, and will respond to you best when you both are relaxed and happy.

These first weeks are the hardest of alll Soon enough everything will smooth out and you will forget how difficult this time was.

Best to you

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-13-2012, 12:27 PM   #3
(female)

maryann206 HB User

Thanks for your input! Its nice to hear that im doing OK as a mom and that its alright to not have everything under control all the time. Especially today on mothers day, I felt so down on myself for not being able to read my baby's mind, that i didnt even feel that i should celebrate mothers day.
Thanx again

Old 06-10-2012, 08:50 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

marisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB User

How is your baby sleeping now? It usually isn't until around 3-4 months that babies really start to sleep more at night, so if he's not there yet, hang in there! It sounds like you are doing just fine.

Closed Thread