It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2012, 11:43 PM   #1
(female)

angeldust31 HB User
8 month old daughter that dosent sleep

I have an 8 month old daughter and for the past 5 months she just dosent sleep, at night or in the day,

Daytime she will hav an hour all through the day,
Night time she goes bed at 8pm and by 11pm she is awake and continues to wake all through the night, she refuses to take formula, i manage to mix 5oz with her porriage for breakfast and sometimes she will take a 7/8oz bottle in the night, but will still continue to wake up, im exhausted and starting back at work in a couple of weeks, i also have 2 other children

Ive tried extra food, less food, spacing it out more during the day,tried giving her porriage before bed mixed with formula but still wakes up,i leave her to cry but they dosent help she continues to wake and shes been like it 5 months,

Any advise please id be very gratful

Old 08-27-2012, 12:52 AM   #2
(female)

kanded HB Userkanded HB Userkanded HB Userkanded HB User
Re: 8 month old daughter that dosent sleep

It sounds like colic, like she might be in pain. Have you taken her to the doctor, and if so what do they say? Is she fussy during the day? Did you breastfeed her 5 months ago? If she won't drink milk, maybe she has a milk allergy or sensitivity. If so, giving her yogurt or cheese could cause her tummy to hurt. Have you tried goat's milk or rice milk? Formula is also usually made from cow's milk unless it says Soy Formula. Is she constipated or does her tummy feel hard? Sorry about the questions, but its hard to know what's going on when she can't tell you.
I do know that pediatricians usually want children to be weaned off eating at night by a year of age but I know you're doing your best. Its frustrating because it sounds like you've tried everything. Maybe just try her on a different type of milk for awhile.
K.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-19-2012, 05:23 PM   #3
(female)

eriro HB User

I was a colicky baby - it's important to talk to your doctor and start trying to cut out common allergens, because she can't sleep if she is always hungry and/or has a tummy ache (it's sad but colicky babies have both pretty much constantly).

Start by cutting out dairy and gluten (rice, quinoa, and amaranth are gluten-free grains, oats don't always have gluten, other grains always have gluten). Definitely talk to a pediatrician who has experience (and success) treating colic.

Experiment with different ways of burping her and getting her to pass gas (fart) and find what works for her. Do it every time she eats and one more time before putting her down to sleep, and try to be thorough.

Lastly, make sure she is getting enough fluids. She is old enough to drink plain water with her food and should be given as much as she wants to drink, especially if she doesn't like formula. Dehydration-related difficulties are very common in her age group because their fluid intake from eating decreases, but I don't think this is the cause in your case because her trouble started so long ago. Definitely make sure that she isn't constipated, though. If she is, giving her a mix of 1/4 juice - 3/4 water is widely accepted and helpful.

Good luck!

Old 12-10-2012, 04:50 AM   #4
(female)

yrsofpainsucks HB Useryrsofpainsucks HB Useryrsofpainsucks HB User

I used to work for an ear nose and throat dr. Something that was common in babies (epecially older ones ie 7/8 mo) was either ear issues or tonsils and adnoids. Now I not saying this is what the issue is, but it is something that is over looked. My daughter was having issues sleeping. She wouldnt sleep through the night and then at nap time I couldt get her to wake up. I was talking to one of the docs that I worked for and he set an apt just to look at her. Her tonsils were very large. Long story short, she couldnt breathe and thats why she wasnt sleeping. From that point on she slept like a teenager. I would put her to bed at 9 and she would sleep until 7 or 8. She is 10 now and still sleeps like that.

As the above mentioned food allergies could be doing this as well but i wanted to throw in my 2 cents because of what I saw when I worked there. It is something to bring up with the pediatrician. I wish you luck honey, and hope you can get some answers so you can get some much needed sleep

Closed Thread