It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2013, 11:01 PM   #1
(female)

Aubrey82 HB User
Red face 11month old refuses to sleep

I am at my wits end! My 11 mo old daughter will not sleep without a serious fight. She has been like this since she was born and I, now 19 weeks pregnant again, can no longer take it! She fights naps and bedtime but bedtime is unbearable. She shares a room with her 2 year old sister and I don't want to let her cry it out for fear that she will is disturb my toddler (it happens on occasion). If I hold her she will fall back asleep but when I put her back in her bed she wakes up within 15 min or so and they crying ensues. It's getting so bad that I can feel myself losing my cool. I am so sleep deprived I have a hard time dealing with the normal day to day issues with the kids. I just feel like throwing my hands up and saying I quit! It is 2 am now. My 2 year old will be up in 4 hours and I just got the little one down (for now). If anyone has been in my shoes or has some sort of idea of how to handle this I would greatly appreciate the advise.

The following user gives a hug of support to Aubrey82:
ctrue (04-16-2013)
Old 04-16-2013, 05:27 PM   #2
(female)

ctrue HB Userctrue HB Userctrue HB Userctrue HB Userctrue HB Userctrue HB User
Re: 11month old refuses to sleep

Im sorry. I know what its like being sleep deprived. Is there another room you can put her in? Just maybe in a playpen so that she does not bother the toddler. Even if she wont sleep, it could give you a place to lay her when you need a break from her fighting sleep. Sometimes if you can let her cry some, she will see its not getting her her way and it will help. I know its hard to do with another child in the house though.
My daughter didnt want to sleep either. I started doing bedtime really early (530-6ish), starting with a warm bath, low lights and nighttime music. I would lay her down by 7ish. That way even if she woke up alot, I would still get some sleep in between. Once I started bedtime, no playing or running around. It was all calm. You can even have your toddler do quiet activites during this time as well.
It usually gets better as they get older. My daughter started sleeping good at about 24 or so months and now at 6 she sleeps as long as I let her. I know its hard, but hang in there!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-19-2013, 07:44 PM   #3
(female)

mugwump HB Usermugwump HB Usermugwump HB Usermugwump HB Usermugwump HB Usermugwump HB Usermugwump HB User
Re: 11month old refuses to sleep

She may be clingy because she's getting ready to walk. Both my kids went through a stage at that age. Once they start walking, I think it will pass. For a while I just held my daughter til she'd fall asleep and I would put her down wherever I was.

Reply Reply